Bagdale Hall Hotel
$88
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
Estbek House(Sandsend)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe main hotelfour poster bedmain halllovely old buildinglots of characterkipperscar parkingfull englishfantastic hoteltown centrefirst classroom was largesmoked salmonwould stay againplenty of choicestayed for one nightweekend break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 30, 2013

we ended up at Bagdale Hall by way of a disaster - we had booked a holiday apartment in Whitby in August 2012 for the Folk Week 2013. On the evening before we were due to arrive the owner called and told us she had triple booked and we could not go. An urgent search revealed that Bagdale Hall could accommodate our needs.
The service and attention to our needs was phenomenal to the extent of setting up the lounge so that we could have tea when we returned to base in the early hours.

In short nothing was too much trouble - this was most welcome to the 5 of us after the stress created by the place we had originally booked

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building are probably the best, but all are well equipped and the most powerful showers I have found in the UK. There is some noise from the seagulls - but this is the norm for most of Whitby
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is an old fashioned hotel but not necessarily in a bad way. They have yet to discover the world of computers or how to send meaningful confirmation of your booking via this new-fangled email malarkey. So the bill (which included drinks in the bar) was hand written and not itemised which is not only behind the times it leaves you wondering whether all is correct. I’m pretty certain it was so I didn’t query it but why not have some clarity? The room was big, the bathroom small. Meticulously clean though. Room 1 is right on the main road at the front of the hotel so be prepared for some traffic noise. I’m probably more conscious of it than most. If you want peace and quiet the back of the hotel might be best. Breakfast was good and they made an excellent job of coping with a big influx of people at the same time. Always a good test of the quality of service which we couldn’t fault. The bar is small but OK and fine for a nightcap after an evening in Whitby. It’s close to the centre too. And Whitby? Well worth a visit just watch out for the seagulls, they think they own the place!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have stayed many times in Whitby and actually quite enjoyed the calls of the herring gulls. This was totally different. We were located in the Lodge, just up from the Hall as the Hall itself was full. The car park was muddy and full of puddles, so it was quite an obstacle course to get our luggage out and into the building. The entrance was spattered with guano, that hadn't been cleaned for a while. The room was a good size and the linens were of an excellent standard, a really good shower too. It was pretty warm so we opened the window, the wall directly in front was covered in seagull droppings and the noise of the gulls from the flat roofed building not much more than a meter away was very loud. From our friends rooms at the sides the gulls could still be heard but at a much diminished and reasonable volume.
It was impossible to sleep, there were at least 30 gulls calling, I counted them during the night - I had plenty of time to do so. They also kept waking up my son who can sleep through almost anything.
When we complained very politely we were told that 'this is Whitby and they are a protected species'. I have nothing against gulls, from a reasonable distance. When I explained that we should have been warned, we were told that the flat roofed building is not part of Bagdale and they can do nothing about it. We pointed out that paying £90 for a bed should mean that you can actually sleep in it. We came back to speak to the manager who was very polite but told us he had no authority to compensate us and that the main manager could only be contacted in September as he was not available. Now I realise why this was one of the very few places that had vacancies at such short notice and to finish off the lack of sleep the breakfast wasn't that great either. We will definitely not be coming here again.

Room Tip: Room 27 is fine for gull watching at very close quarters but for sleep - forget it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank LizbetLondon
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in room 19, which to be honest, is a mismatch of decor and styles. The bed was very comfortable, but the room itself was boiling hot, with only 2 small windows to open for air. Inevitably, it was a choice between the noisy gulls or a sweaty sleep.

Little things could make this a great place.. TV remote, nicer fixtures on wardrobes, cleaning the sofa (when looking for my hair bobble I pulled the cushion up to find a cake down there), and not hanging bed linens on the rail outside the room to dry. Cleaners, although extremely pleasant, chatted quite loudly in the utility room outside the room which meant no proper lie in.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Nicky D
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Well what can I say about bagdale hall apart from what my title say Perfect Perfection.

The room was excellent 4 poster bed and fresh lovely clean sheets. Bar was perfection, small and lovely and the bar staff were great.

Breakfast was great and the staff were spot on with everything. I will be going back for sure.

Thank you Bagdale Hall for a perfect break for me and my wife.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple