“Birthday Treat!”

White Horse and Griffin
Ranked #44 of 216 Restaurants in Whitby
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Booked White Horse and Griffin for 8 people for my 40th Birthday meal.
I love the cosy old-fashioned charm of this place and is beautifully placed in the heart of Whitby!
The staff were so friendly and helpful, a friend of mine called in before I arrived and
asked them to decorate with balloons and sparkles she provided and the staff were great!
Hid the cake and brought out to me later with the lights dimmed! Everyone Singing! ha!
Food was just delicious and everybody enjoyed it! My husband loves the Steak!
I highly recommend the Irish coffees to finish.. Gorgeous and great priced!
Thank you to all the staff on 12th July 2014 for making my day! xx

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We have eaten at the White Horse & Griffin several times over the last few years, both at lunch time and in the evening and have always been very satisfied. The pub is absolutely full of olde world character with lots of atmosphere, especially in the evening. The staff are always friendly and helpful - we have a young daughter who is nearly five now and nothing is ever too much trouble even when she was a baby. Whatever we have ordered from the menu has always been delicious - fresh & tasty. It is a little bit on the pricey side though, but as they say you get what you pay for.

1  Thank Mackster40
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This restaurant stood out due to three factors: friendly staff, nice decor and 'THAT' Chocolate Fondant.

Forgive me, begin at the begging---booked a meal at 'The White Horse and Griffin' for my birthday. Small, friendly restaurant with a varied menu. For those who like seafood assortments you will get the 'bezze mezze' ever. This gift from Neptune comprised the most gorgeous looking array of marine life I have seen all on one platter. The recipients were speechless, astonished/happy/bemused and offered to share their good fortune around the room, such was the quantity of Lobster/Crab and much more.

For my main course I was presented with a very nice fish dish with lovely fresh veg, the rolled fish was tasty, though one person found it bland, I prefer the term 'delicate' perhaps the prawns inside the fish could have done with a little more zing? Just an observation.

Meanwhile my fellow diner had a fantastic steak [I was instantly jealous, especially of the accompanying onion rings which were perfect]. The crowning glory arrived toward the end of our meal in the shape of a Chocolate Fondant. I decided to have ice cream instead of caramel sauce. From the first mouthful the fusion of dark chocolate [HOT] with vanilla ice [ V. COLD] was an experience I would gladly repeat. In fact I have every intention of doing so as I have been served some horrendous effigies posing as fondant, so this for me was choccy heaven.

First time I have ever looked up from a dish to so many smiling faces [including staff] my enjoyment of this 'Fantastic Fondant' was evident to one and all. Gorgeous.

2  Thank Caroline D
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Tucked away behind a modern bar, this restaurant was full of character and served excellent food from a varied and imaginative menu. A world away from fish & chips and well worth finding.

1  Thank Alandca
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Always our destination for Sunday lunch in Whitby and it never fails to disappoint, beef cooked how you like it, the roast pork comes without a yorkshire pudding but on Sunday the waitress brought me one anyway. Once again a lovely meal, we will be back again and again, keep it up WHG