“Made to feel as welcome as cockroaches”

Cross Butts Stables Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 216 Restaurants in Whitby
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Stables restaurant, we are open daily from 7am till late. Whether you are just dropping by for coffee and cake or joining us for breakfast, lunch or an evening meal - our relaxed environment makes us a perfect venue for drinking or dining or both! At the Stables we pride ourselves on our freshly prepared home made food and offer a wide variety of seasonal dishes. Our meals are created by a team of highly experienced chefs using locally supplied quality produce.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We pulled in to their car park to be greated by a lovely sign sayoig all welcome open from breakfast to supper. We walked in to be greeted and asked "have we booked"?. No as we were on a day out, they sniped that they were fully booked. And we could wait but there was no where to sit. So we left as they unpolitly piointed out they had a wedding. Good for them however once there is no wedding I am sure they would be more accomadating to passing trade.....bad show would not advoise you go as very unwelcoming staff.

1  Thank beegirl1973

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have been looking forward to returning here for a meal for a while. The first time was 110%. I wasn't disappointed. Once again the food was fabulous. Best ever. 210%. It's certainly the best fillet steak I've had and I've had a few. Gorgeous chips and great presentation. Staff are attentive too. Lovely house wine. Someone mentioned about the music being too loud. I didn't notice ANY music. Also mentioned that it was gloomy on the inside if you're not on the terrace. The lighting is just right and the surroundings are beautiful. Take a look on their website. It's exactly the same but with a great atmosphere. I don't know where these people normally eat, but it's obvious they are not used to quality. They should have went to Arbutt's café instead. Can't wait for my next venture to Sleights and Whitby.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Loved everything about it, food, surroundings, staff. Was so impressed with the presentation of our scampi & chips, I had to take a photo to send to friends!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Don't be put off by the "open all day" notices. Came here in a large family group on a Saturday. We booked. Good menu , pleasant staff. Fine for little niece who needed to wonder round and look at the fish, the large area inside, the outside grassed area. Plenty of choice, nothing too fancy. I had stir fry which, though slightly gloopy if being fussy, was very nice. Several salads to choose from. Puddings good. I had a trio of ice creams which were proper local produce. Home made cheesecake a possibility. Can't remember other choices. Very nice atmosphere. Huge amount of seating, some in a conservatory.
Lovely area outside with seating and fantastic views. Wooden creations for the children to climb on.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We visited the Stables last week and what a great find. The restaurant is query and the grounds lovely with good views over the Moors. . I love my fish and chips and I have to say those served up took some beating. I had cod and it was beautiful. Very, very fresh. Pearly white with beautiful flakes. The batter was beautiful crispy and delicious .All this was accompanied by a bowl of salad with dressing and a chunky piece of fresh crusty bread and butter. The latter 2 I could,nt eat because of the generous portion of the fish and chips. The other 2 people with me had steak pie and chips. Again delicious. The pie was made with homemade shortcrust pastry-Hurray and the meat was lovely real beef chunks in mouth watering gravy. We will be returning. .