“Loved it, Dracula is in Whitby”
Review of Whitby Walks

Whitby Walks
Ranked #4 of 17 Tours in Whitby
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I went to Whitby to do this Dracula walk, and have a weekend away, what a lovely town. The walk lasted about an hour and a half and was £5 pp, well worth it. We met under the Whalebone Arch and walked up and down the hillside, all the time being entertained by the Orator. I thought I know a bit about Dracula and Bram Stoker, but it was brought to the fore with this informative talk. I had always planned to go the Transylvania to visit the Castle Bran, but now its going to be sooner rather than later. If you are in Whitby, this is well worth the £5, make sure if you want to see the Abbey and climb the 199 steps, you do so before the talk as he does not take you up there.
A long walk to top but worth it.

4  Thank Cessonfire
"spend an evening"
in 3 reviews
"great stories"
in 3 reviews
"a fantastic story teller"
"learnt lots"
"tongue in cheek"
"royal hotel"
"interesting walk"

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Dracula walk was enjoyable. It was interesting to hear Harry tell the story of how Bram Stoker wrote the book (although having read the book i already knew most of it). I was expecting more of a tour of the places mentioned in the story though and i was disappointed that the walk didn’t take us to St Mary’s church which features heavily in the story. I know the walk has to cater for all ages but I did feel it had been a bit dumbed-down and was a bit disappointed at the frequency and types of jokes. I also felt the comment on a certain religion being spread by violent means unnecessary and not very appropriate and would imagine anyone on the walk belonging to that particular religion may find it a bit offensive.
The walk is a good length but involves a lot of walking including a lot of steps. Payment is by cash and it’s a good idea to arrive at least 5 mins before the scheduled start time. Overall, I enjoyed the walk, but there is always room for improvement!

1  Thank smurf77
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

It was actually my first ghost walk ever. We arrived at the whale bone arch at 7:45ish and at 8pm Harry arrived, top hat and all :)
He was brill! We walked around many main and little side streets learning facts, history and ghost stories. Harry was good at accommodating for the different ages and types of people on the walk.

Overall a great halloween night was had by both of us :) would defiantly do again

1  Thank geraldinevickers
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Suberb! Great fun, anyone visiting Whitby should check out the tour. Harry was an excellent guide and had the kids listening intently, he really knows his stuff too! Excellent entertainment, we will definitely be checking out his ghost walk next time we visit. The kids thought it was great fun winding round the dark alleys of Whitby at night and Harry delivers an excellent performance.

2  Thank TheHMobOnTour
See more reviews
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This walk was recommended to me by a family member.
The night we decided to do it was blowing a gale, and very windy.

We assembled by the Whalebone Arch (North Terrace, Whitby, North Yorkshire YO21 3HA) as the rain started, the wind was howling, and the sea was throwing small boats around in the harbour down below (all true).

We decided we must be mad to be enduring all the elements being thrown at us as we awaited the arrival of "Harry" who appeared at 8pm resplendent in his top hat!

Harry has been doing this tour for 19 years, and can be considered an expert when it comes to explaining how the story "Dracula" came about. http://www.whitbywalks.com/

We were shepherded down dark narrow lanes and streets as the story unfolded as to how Bram Stoker got his inspiration.
A very worthwhile trip which lasts about 75 minutes.

1  Thank TruthfulReviewInfo