“Excellent food and great beer.”
Review of The Granby

The Granby
Ranked #146 of 154 Whitby B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We have just had a long week end in Whitby, as we had our dog with us we were looking for somewhere to eat that would let us take him in. The Granby was recommended to us. Now my husband is very fussy about his beer and doesn't have much faith in seaside pubs, but the Pedigree in the Granby was as good as the best we've had anywhere. On the Friday we had the fish and chips, the chips I think were oven chips which I don't really like but were acceptable, but the fish was so big we couldn't eat all of it, the batter was crisp and light, lovely. On the Sunday we went in in the evening with our son and daughter-in-law and had various different meals, my husband had the prawn curry, son had giant yorkshire with meat and veg and daughter-in-law and self had a Sunday roast each. The meat melted in your mouth it was so tender and the vegetables were cooked to perfection, obviously cooked fresh and served straight away, they have just got a new cook in and I hope she stays as we will be returning in the autumn.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Had a beautiful Sunday lunch at the granby! Roast beef melt in your mouth ! Vegetables perfect sizeable portions and very very tasty . Wifey had steak and kidney pudding perfect home cooked fare and great value !!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you are looking for value for money try the Granby....a great selectn of ales and the food is spot on and I tel you there is plenty of it!!......the staff are friendly and the service excellent. Can't wait to go back

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Called in for a drink only this year at the Whitby Goth Weekend, as last year when we had our meal, we were somewhat disappointed that after burning my Gammon steak, they tried to hide it under pineapple, egg and salad, so we gave it a miss this time round, the beer was good though and the atmosphere is ok, will keep my eye on the reviews to see what everyone is saying about the food quality because I'm sure we'll be back here sometime in the future when we next stay in Whitby..

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dnowland_12
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just returned from another brilliant weekend in Whitby and both days made a point of eating at The Granby. Not been disappointed yet! Fish and chips were excellent on the first day and the mixed grill and lasagne were equally as good the following day. Met some very interesting people there too. Well done and thank you, we will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bikerbabe54
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was in Whitby for the weekend in another establishment, when I asked advice on a good place to eat. I was directed to The Granby by a local, and I was not disappointed. I ordered 2 roast dinners.(1 lamb and 1 beef, without Yorkshire pudding) My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed it, but beware, you need a big appetite. Even without the Yorkshires we couldn't finish it all. We could not fault any part of it. The staff were very nice and the service was prompt. The menu was quite extensive for a pub. Just a short walk from the town. Would definitely use this place again on my next visit.

Room Tip: We dined in the small lounge on the left as you enter, but there is a larger lounge to the right. D...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tony5998
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Went with my elderly mother and sister for a meal earlier today. After being told that various things on the menu weren't available, my sister had to settle for a bowl of chips, and me and my mother settles for scampi. As I'm writing this, me AND my mother both have terrible stomach aches, so I'm not worried that we were food poisoned.

Avoid at ALL costs.