“Excellent family-run restaurant”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This family-run restaurant uses excellent local produce cooked to perfection. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming with a roaring log fire in the colder months-all adding to the intimate atmosphere. The only difficulty experienced by our party was the limited menu-inevitable because the owner/chef is the main man, so clearly options need to be controlled to ensure top quality. However, we opted for an amazing fillet steak-the best I have had in ages. For a starter I chose the Parma ham on grilled polenta-delicious! The attention to detail and the friendly, welcoming hostess make for a great evening. If you are holidaying in the area, take a short trip out of Whitby and give The Fox and Hounds your undivided attention-you won't be sorry!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We went to this restaurant because of a local recommendation. I wish more restaurants would follow this excellent way of doing things: fantastic locally sourced simple produce; beautiful mediterranean-style flavour combinations with great service. Choice of 3 starters; 5 mains then 5 desserts (I think, anyway!). We enjoyed all of it. Good wine list too.
Quite expensive but I would say it was good value. The restaurant only opens Weds-Saturday, which I understand. I loved this place and would definitely go back.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

August 17th was our Golden Wedding. We journeyed in difficult conditions to Goldsborough and were joined by 4 friends for a celebration meal.

It was absolutely worth it on all levels. The food was without compare, the ambiance exactly right, the welcome generous and sincere. It was like entertaining our friends at home but with infinitely better food. I cannot praise it too much. Thank you Sue and Jason.

1  Thank Wentdalewoman
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Warm, cosy and welcoming, this is a charming little out of the way restaurant run by husband and wife proprietors. Sue, who takes the front of house role is chatty, energetic and informed. The contemporary menu is small with only 3 starters, mains and puds to go from, a little limiting but understandable given the small team and small kitchen and this does allow the focus to be on refining the dishes on offer. Given its coastal proximity, fish dominates. All the dishes we sampled were tasty, enjoyable and good quality, simply served. The place was busy which was good to see as these guys deserve the following that they have engendered.

1  Thank mrstraveller1
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We have eaten here several times now and each time we visit, we are more and more convinced that this is some of the very best food we have ever eaten, wherever in the world!
This small and cosy restaurant is run by a husband and wife team, Sue runs front of house (when she`s not running marathons!) and Jason runs the kitchen. The menu is short but offers good variety, we are always hard pushed to decide what not to eat, rather than the other way round.
The care and attention to detail and to flavours in the cooking is superb. Jason is a very good chef indeed and although I am well travelled and have eaten in some of the worlds best restaurants, this little spot on the coast, pretty much tops the lot!
There are two dining rooms that have about three tables in each room plus a small private dining room that can seat about 8 (I keep promising myself to organise a do with some friends to take advantage of this lovely little room).
I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough to you!
Well done Sue and Jason, result!!

1  Thank serviceisking