“Leather sofas, daily papers and a nice view”
Review of The Shambles - CLOSED

The Shambles
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
“Leather sofas, daily papers and a nice view”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

A big, spacious room with the bar in the centre. Balcony seating with a view over the river. Taken up with smokers most of the time but where else can they enjoy a smoke.
I love the idea of a separate children's room for families and its carpeted out so noise is kept down. I don't have an objection to children eating in pubs, I take my own grandchildren, but its so nice to see that single, elderly and couples can enjoy a meal or a leisurely drink without having to listen to some child blowing a paddy or running around like the possessed. Foods always been nice but in summer, its a popular place for the younger ones at night. The sofas are arraigned in a three sided arrangement with a large coffee table in the middle so you can still feel intimate and private even with strangers on the other sofas.

Visited May 2012

York
“Incorrect menu in a cold room”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Taking a table in the family room, initial impression was good. On ordering food, non of the specials were available & staff seemed a bit dazed, it was new years day! As we waited for our food we realised how cold it was in the family room, when it arrived chips & veg were just luke warm & chicken tikka we ordered was presented as jalfrezi because that is all they had, no prior warning was given. My son did his best but just too hot for him. Not the relaxing new year lunch I had hoped for.

1 Thank oliandus
“Terrible beer.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband asked for a real ale and was given one which he didn't like and they kindly swopped it for a different one which was completely flat. The atmosphere was terrible and staff seemed equally so so we left. We were looking forward to coming here as had visited it two years ago and thought it was great. Maybe we caught it at a bad time. But we were disappointed.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank samdorsett
Cambridge
“Good lunch”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We've had lunch here many times and not had the problems others seem to have. This time I had a boar and apple burger and my wife had a baguette. Both very good and good value as well.

• Visited December 2012
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“best chips ever tasted”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Lovely fresh food in nice relaxed surroundings with great views. I nipped in for lunch and had a chicken baguette and chips. The chicken was succulent and tasty, the baguette perfectly baked and soft.The best chips i have ever tasted!

Visited November 2012