Review of SEAL VIEW

Seal View - Watch Cormorants, Swans & Visiting Seals
Spectacular harbour and abbey Views from Seal View Kitchen Dining Area - Direct Views To River Esk
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Spectacular harbour and abbey Views from Seal View
Kitchen Dining Area - Direct Views To River Esk
Seal View Lounge - Low Sills - Clear Waterside Views.
Warm Cosy Double Bedroom - Fresh Crisp Linen
Huge Twin Bedroom (3rd person Fold up) Water Views
Whitby harbour at twilight - A magical place
Whitby Lower harbour & 199 steps - Dracula's favourite haunt
Whitby By Moonlight - Lower Harbour Near Whitby Swing Bridge
Tranquil harbour in Whitby at dusk
Replica Endeavour Lit For Evening Sail Out To Sea
Steam Trains At PIckering Station -North Yorkshire Moors Railway
The Endeavour - Captain Cook's ship
Whitby Folk Week - Dancing On West Cliff Great Week To Book A Holiday
War Week-End Pickering - Annual Event
Whitby boats in harbourside along Church Street
The Hole Of Horcum North Yorkshire Moors
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Jackie W
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Stayed for a week. Great welcome from Pauline. Super location giving peace and quiet yet only a short stroll into town. Very comfortable and fitted out with all we needed

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Sep 2, 2016
Hi Jackie

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and comments about myself.I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and would welcome you back at any time. Just remind me you stayed before if you book again for your return reward

Kind regards

Liz K
Reviewed February 6, 2016 for a stay in January 2016

Seal View is about 10 minutes (walk) from the old town, it is modern, clean and well appointed with a great view over the river Esk. The parking spot is a real advantage. The beds were comfortable and Pauline was very flexible with our stay which was great. The only criticism would be that the electric storage heaters were not terribly powerful so it was a little chilly. We did however stay in February when it was lashing down and windy! Recommended.

Traveling group: Teenagers
Feb 7, 2016
Hi Liz

Thank you for your all your your comments and star markings. I did nip down about 12.50 to see if I could catch you to check all was ok but you had gone. There were no comments in the visitor's regarding your stay so on that basis I would have followed up.

I was really surprised to get back and read your comments regarding the heaters. I did ask when you arrived that if you had any problems or queries whatsoever to contact me and I would sort them. You acknowledged this at the time.

For some reason you opted not to contact me so I wasnt given the opportunity to look into the matter for you which is which what I would have liked to have done. A text or a call would have been appreciated.

You did acknowledge that I volunteered an offer for you to extend your stay by 3 hours because you arrived at night. As I hadnt got anyone coming in the day you were leaving I could do that unless circumstances changed. Equally, I would have been more than happy to have nipped down to the apartment had I been made aware there may have been an issue with the fires. Had I had been able to do this you would have been warm. I have now looked into the matter.

When I went in the fires were on. They were all on a setting of 2 which would give off heat according to that setting. I stayed down and and checked each fire turning them all up to the maximum settings The heat expelled is correct to the higher setting on each fire and the apartment is really warm. It was just a case of turning the control switch up in line to the number required. The fires arent on timers, guests control the heat as and when

On this occassion I havent found a fault with the fires which is great news.

I am glad you found the new mattresses comfortable, enjoyed your stay and the convenience of the parking spot, views and distance from town.

AmyandChr...
gloucestershire
“Sadly not 5/5 from us but could be with a few changes...”
Reviewed July 20, 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

Let me start by saying from the moment of checking availability to collecting the keys, Pauline was so helpful and all you would expect from an owner of a rental apartment.

The area of the apartment is perfect. Lovely views across the river to the train station where you can see the trains coming and going but not too noisy. The area is quiet with a 5 minute walk to the town so close enough but far enough away to be away from the busy streets. Lovely beach and plenty of places to eat. We have a 16 month old and everywhere we went were child friendly. We cycled part of the Cinder Trail which was lovely. Not as easy to find from town as the signpost is facing the wrong direction but we got there in the end!

Now down to the bits which make the apartment a 3/5 for us....

Initial thoughts of the apartment were how spacious and clean the apartment was. Its a modern apartment with 2 good size bedrooms and a large kitchen/living room.

Beds: The double bed was very uncomfortable to a point I could not sleep on it. It felt like the mattress was old rather than a firm bed as it felt the mattress had been turned and it dipped by your legs (where it had been slept on the other way round). Even sleeping the other way was impossible.

Cleanliness: the place needs a good dust and good clean. There were lovely large vases and artificial flowers but were covered in dust. The doors were wedged open and having to close these when we put our Daughter to bed it was very clear the hovering didn't go as far as behind the doors as the cream carpet was grey with dust. Spending time on the floor playing with our Daughter made it apparent the dust was all around the edge of the room where hovering didn't stretch that far. There is a lovely seaside mirror in the bathroom but again all the detail on that were covered in dust. Above the kitchen cabinets were massive cobwebs. The shower hose was thick with black grime at the bottom where the water runs off. This could easily be wiped off.

Then there was the highchair. This was in need of a *very* good clean. The straps should be white but I can only describe them as disgusting. I am not an over the top parent as highchairs are one of the worst things when you go to places to eat so you have to just deal with it, but I did not use the straps on the chair as they were that terrible. Other than finding a shop to buy a highchair, I had no option.

I feel the things which dropped the points for me are quite easy to fix. I appreciate the cleaning will be down to house keeping but I would find a new cleaner. Everything else appeared clean.

I appreciate the above points may not bother everyone but for £725 for the week you don't expect these things and the cleaning should be inspected.

Sadly as I didn't sleep properly all week I would not return which is a shame as I would have loved to have gone back again in future years.

Traveling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
May 29, 2016
Hi

I have read and digested your comprehensive write up. Firstly I would like to thank you for your kind remarks regarding myself which confirms I would have been only too happy to look into your findings had you given me the opportunity to do so

I did say on your arrival as I do to all my guests that if you have any problems at all to contact me. I am a bit dismayed why you chose not to do this especially as you say you had no option when in fact you did. I would have happily have come to the apartment and addressed any issues for you particularly as you say you couldn't sleep for the length of stay because of the mattresses and the high chair was an issue

The mattresses were firm and some people like that and I actually haven't had a negative comment about them before. I did conduct a survey from 3 of the following guests. One sad they found one slightly firmer but wasn't a prob. On that basis I changed that mattresses which was done in a day as there is a company in Whitby that manufactures beds. If you had contacted me I would have changed the mattress for you in a day. Had you told me about the high chair I would also have come down and looked at this and the problem you mentioned would have been rectified too. I could have got you a new high chair if needed at any point during your stay.

I note your comments on dust. The apartment was graded 4 stars the week prior to your stay by the tourist board who actually gave 5 stars for cleaning. I do have outside cleaners and because they have until 2pm to clean and I don't know when they will clean my apt in that period standing by to check is difficult even though ideally I would like to,do that. I would have called them back immediately to sort your issues out though had you informed me. There was some light dust on flowers and some light dust behind doors which again could have been rectified

The doors are always wedged open to help those with mobility issues move in and out. They can be closed at any time.

I would say to all my guests that I take any comments seriously and would encourage all guests to come directly to me so that I could investigate any issues you might have rather than bypass me and I am not aware. I am very approachable and can be contacted at any time. I want everyone to have a great holiday and return as many people do and have done for 14 years

Thanks

SDM41
North Yorks
“Very nice break”
Reviewed April 17, 2015 for a stay in April 2015

Thoroughly recommended. Pauline is a very nice lady and extremely helpful. The apartment was clean, spacious, nice and quiet and warm, with comfy beds and a lovely view. We watched the boats go past and (just before we left) saw a seal, so the place lived up to it's name. 10 minute walk into Whitby centre so ideal.
Rusty Shears cafe and the Humbel Pie shop are my top eating tips!

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
icklegems...
yorkshire
“Stunning apartment in superb location - fabulous views”
Reviewed January 26, 2015 for a stay in January 2015

Stayed here for 2 nights as a group of 4 ladies for a birthday treat and it was a delight from start of booking to returning the keys! Pauline the owner was very friendly and informative even leaving us biscuits and milk for arrival (much welcomed after the journey so thank you!) The apartment was very well presented, spotlessly clean and ideally located close to the centre (5-10 minute walk along very scenic front!) with the most amazing views of the River Esk and harbour. If you're looking to stay central and don't like the hustle and bustle of the centre this is ideal for you (so peaceful and quiet you could be in the middle of the countryside!) The property also comes with the added bonus of a free parking spot so hassle free and easy to get to various places nearby for daytrips without worrying about returning to find a car parking space (Robin Hoods Bay, Staithes, Sandsend, Runswick Bay, Goathland all within a half hour drive away and recommended a visit if you're in the area) The apartment was spacious, well equipped and would also be ideal for a wheelchair user (the low windows offered brilliant views) We look forward to returning again soon - only wish we'd have booked an extra night. Many thanks for a wonderful stay Pauline.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Ian_L0u
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Great apartment break!”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

Very good customer service from the owner Pauline, fitting us in at the last minute for a family celebration. The owner is so thoughtful, she even supplied a present for our mother who was celebrating her 80th birthday. The Customer service even stretched to chasing after us to the local garden centre to give us our info pack which we had forgotten to pick up with the keys. Apartment was excellent, ideally situated just 10 minutes walk from Whitby centre, and with a guaranteed parking spot. Front windows faced out onto the river and lovely views of the boats and down towards the abbey. All the amenities you could think of were available. Two lovely bedrooms and an additional camp bed which our 5yr old loved. We only managed a one night stay, but will definitely be booking in advance for a longer stay in future.

Traveling group: Extended Family
jwest2007
England
“Immaculate apartment great location lovely helpful owner.”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Pauline the owner, was really thoughtful and helpful. The apartment was spotless and had everything we needed. Fab value for money, peak times at Whitby is never cheap. This apartment is great value for money surpassing our expectations. Already re-booked for a week in summer. A pleasant 10 minute stroll into the town centre, for all you need but with the benefit of being lovely and quiet when you want to sleep, unlike a lot of town centre accommodation. There is a pub and chip shop just round the corner as well and a sainsburys a bit further up the
road. I would highly recommend this apartment as it ticks all boxes for location facilities quality and customer service.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing