Just returned from a two night stay at this hotel, this was a special weekend for me, my birthday, our anniversary and also valentines treat, I've left feeling disappointed.
The room was a little grubby, but giving the age could be overlooked, I requested a double room and had two single beds, not a massive problem but wasn't what we wanted, then came our first morning breakfast..... Sat and waited fifteen minutes for order to be taken as to which another couple was served before us that walked straight in, I had to ask for a cup of tea three times, my partners order was wrong, our toast was freezing, when I finally got tea I had to wait till the man returned to get milk to which he got a milk jug off a previously used table that had floaters in, not nice !! We didn't have breakfast the second morning, instead went and paid for breakfast at a local cafe,
Ideally located but that's about it !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The White Horse & Griffin is an almost 450 year old Coaching Inn, the first built in Whitby to serve the route to London. Operating these days as a Restaurant with Rooms it is situated on an unspoilt cobbled shambles near the base of Whitby's famous 199 Abbey Steps. The building is technically on 3 floors but is actually on 7 different levels. It boasts 10 unique and quirky bedrooms full of history and character. The walls are bumpy, the stairs are narrow and the ceilings are low. The Bistro/ Restaurant is cosy and heated by an open fire. The food is outstanding with the signature dishes (such as the Seafood Meze for 2 & the Fillet Sharing Platter) saying much about the place - great quality, great quantity, designed for sharing and, as with much in life, you get what you are prepared to pay for. The WH&G is best suited to couples and groups who want to get away, eat great food, drink good wine, meet new people, join in with the atmosphere and then retire to a hand-made bed with a hand stuffed mattress to regroup before a chef-cooked breakfast. As well as a comprehensive English Breakfast choices in the morning also include Fortune's Kippers, Smoked Haddock, Kedgeree, Scrambles, Omlettes, Fresh Fruits and Honeyed Porridge. A major benefit is that the heart of unspoiled North Yorkshire and its Coast is outside the front door in either walking or steam train distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Book Direct Rooms, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your White Horse and Griffin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- White Horse And Griffin Hotel Whitby
- White Horse And Griffin Whitby