Raithwaite Estate
Hudsons(Whitby)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,298 results
All reviewsbrace restaurantspa facilitiespoachers barexecutive roomsteam roomgolf buggyhunters restaurantthe main hotelturn down servicemain hallluxury hotelevery member of staffunderfloor heatingsmall balconybirthday treatfirst classrelaxing break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We know this area well and have watched this hotel develop so were keen to try it for a special occasion. The setting is fabulous but the building work and grounds are not yet finished - not a problem in itself, but the feeling of 'not quite there yet' continues into the whole experience.
Much has been said in previous reviews about the staff, and whilst they are all lovely and friendly, the service is just not up to standard.
We were given a named waiter at dinner, and to begin with he filled glasses and fussed around, but then neither he nor the manager or maitre'd who were floating around noticed that we'd waited an hour and a quarter between starter and main course - when we asked where it was we were told it had been forgotten and would be 10 minutes, only to then wait 25. By this time we were low on wine and water but no got offer to reorder. We were then offered dessert menus that didn't come and had to be re-requested after 15 minutes, and coffees to come with dessert came well after. We were even billed for a random 'crème de menthe' (really?) that we didn't have. The food was average - soup was tasteless (nutmeg promised, not delivered), steaks underweight and overcooked (if mine had been 227g it may have been rare as requested, as it was only 6oz it was medium at best), triple cooked chips were French fries, arctic roll was just nasty, and devoid of its roasted fig companion. Additionally DBB guests are annexed into the conservatory off the main, gentlemans club styled dining room, a draughty, soulless, semi subterranean place, with cane seating, no table cloths, walls with space for pictures but none, and a bizarre twigs, fairy lights and model animal display over the windows - not fine dining by a long stretch.

After over 3 hours trapped in this dining room farce (which we laughed about at the time) we retired to the room, which was large and well appointed, with a very comfortable bed. But we obviously weren't meant to enjoy sleeping in it, as the room was located next to the staff stairwell and linen cupboard, which someone seemed to need to use until at least 1.30am, and slam shut every time. But the real noise kicked off at 9, when the area directly outside the (ill-fitting) door became the central hub of housekeeping activity - there was a walkie-talkie going, instructions about who was cleaning where being shouted along the corridor - they even started hoovering. They might as well have been in the room with us, it was so far from relaxing it was no longer funny. I'm just so pleased we hadn't paid the extra for post 11am checkout!
So, when asked at checkout (in the lobby which is far too small, and was even more chaotic than our corridor, with 5 staff behind a counter for 2 all elbowing each other) if we'd had a relaxing stay I started to explain, but as the manager was one of the five and was trying to take a telephone booking at the time (why?), I was told he would come back to me. They couldn't then get rid of us fast enough (the lobby was full to bursting by then and Basil, sorry Ben, was going purple), and having broken the one card machine, I didn't even get a proper receipt. Needless to say, nobody did come back to me, hence the review shared here.
At over £300 this was a very expensive mistake - Raithwaite is punching well above its weight and needs to get the basics sorted before its ever going to be the place it's aspiring to be. If you want a nice break in Whitby you'd be far better off in one of the nice boutique hotels where they leave you in peace until checkout, and trying one of the restaurants where the produce really is as good as its described. Could do a lot better.

Room Tip: Don't let them give you 307 or 308 - they are next to the staff staircase and linen cupboard and become activity central by 9am. You do get to know who's already checked out and who will clean their room though, if you're interested.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Helen P
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The staff are very attentive and friendly, without being over the top. They were especially good with the our children (who are three and five), engaging with them and making them feel welcome. We stayed in one of the cottages which was immaculate and "done" to a very high standard. It was great to have the facilities of the cottage whilst being able to enjoy the hotel catering. The breakfast is outstanding with locally sourced ingredients and the honeycomb is a real highlight! As is the eggs florentine. There are lovely walks out from the estate, as well as good running routes and pretty gardens. We used the spa for some family swim time and really enjoyed it. We had a fantastic time in this beautiful setting, and were so well looked after by the staff. Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Nicjwebster
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Superb, really high quality rooms with quality furniture and a great bed. The staff could not be more helpful. Didn't use the gym, pool or spa. The surrounding farmland areas are ideal for walks. The restaurant is excellent and very well priced. And they like Westies.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rallen444
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed for a lovely 3 nights in mid March. The staff couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant, for example arranging hot milk and toast for my pregnant wife after we failed to find anything tolerable when out for dinner in Whitby. Grounds were super and walking to short distance to the beach was a daily pleasure before breakfast.

My wife enjoyed the spa, especially the "pregnancy facial".

However much we like anywhere we stay on holiday, we have never wanted to go back somewhere again before now!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed with my friend in march 2014. On arrival we loved driving through the beautiful grounds. We could hear the stream flowing and it just felt so peaceful! At checkin and actually throughout our entire stay, the staff were extremely friendly, professional and helpful.

Our room was disappointing for a 5 star hotel and the price we had paid. It was really quite small with very little room to manoeuvre! Bed was firm yet comfy! The TV had very limited channels and those it did have didn't always work (BBC news kept breaking up and no BBC3/BBC4) again, I would just expect more from a 5 star. It was fabulous having a lovely balcony in the room overlooking the grounds however there were no chairs to sit out there? Also disappointed no fridge in room to keep water cool.

The bathroom was my biggest disappointment as it didn't have a bath!!! I really believe top hotels should provide baths. However I have to say that the complimentary toiletries were absolutely gorgeous! The best I have ever been provided with in a hotel!

I think when you compare the rooms to Rockliffe Hall, a 5 star hotel not far away at a similar rating and price they are sorely lacking. For that price I feel that rooms should be spacious and feel luxurious, TVs should have more choice of channels and all should work and the bathroom should be large and contain a bath (at Rockliffe bathrooms have a bath AND a shower and a TV in the bathroom).

Breakfast was AMAZING! We ate in the conservatory with the sunlight streaming in. The staff were very helpful and the food was delicious, not only was the cooked breakfast gorgeous, the buffet was brilliant. The selection was similar to a lot of 5 star hotels but I was touched that lots of products were local - and the homemade rhubarb compote was to die for! I also liked that rather than just being offered tea or coffee you could select exactly which coffee (espresso, latte, cappuccino etc.) or type of tea you would like. I would say this is the best hotel breakfast I have enjoyed!

We then visited the spa. It is nothing like the scale of bigger hotels, but it is very clean and well kept. Disappointed we weren't offered robes to wear and as we had checked out of our rooms we were told we couldn't have any and were just given an extra towel!! Changing rooms were fine, although I didn't like having to go through to the spa reception to get another towel each time I needed one- why not have them available in the changing room? There is a pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room in a lovely room surrounded with full length windows. Very relaxing.

On the whole I would say I enjoyed my experience but I am not sure the rooms and spa are up to the standards of most other 5 star hotels I have stayed in. The great things that would make me return are the location, staff and breakfast! But the price would definitely have to be competitive.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends