“Great experience, must return” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Raithwaite Estate

Raithwaite Estate
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Great experience, must return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stopped here for lunch after morning visit to Staithes further up the coast. A lovely modern hotel in a great location between Sandsend and Whitby. Enjoyed a superb lunch on sunny rear terrace overlooking beautifully landscaped gardens. Food excellent and service friendly and efficient. Afterwards strolled into Sandsend, only a short walk away. Will definitely be back for a longer stay.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Raithwaite_Hall, Manager at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear poolfan25,

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback about your positive Lunch experience overlooking our fantastic gardens.

I'm delighted to read your comments about our friendly, efficient service, which I hope impressed you as much as Blackpool's excellent start to this years Championship campaign!

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Mark Ayre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

We booked an executive room and specified twin beds. Thankfully we were housed in the main hall and not the Keep ( Reading other reviews I was a bit worried about the lack of air conditioning and the walk to the spa area from the Keep). Our room was small but functional . The beds were excellent Our bathroom had underfloor heating ( which was totally OTT) and had more space in it than the bedroom. You had to walk four paces from the shower to get a towel! It was a ridiculous size. We hadn't booked any meal option in the hotel - £ 20 for breakfast! - found much better and nicer food out of the hotel. We did have supper in the bar on our first night. The bar didn't have our first two choices of beer from their menu and we waited a long time to be served. The hotel is set in a narrow ravine and consequently has a very claustrophobic feel to it. As other reviews have pointed out the drop off system is not good and yes, that Rolls Royce was very annoying because it was taking up space that people with mobility problems ( like me!) could have used. Having said that the location is very quiet and away from the bustle of Whitby and the beach is only a 15 min walk away.

Room Tip: Specify the main hall otherwise you have a walk to the spa
Dear Ros W,

Thanks for taking the time to review our Estate.

Each Room within the Hall is different due to the nature of this special building and I'm disappointed to read that on this occasion you felt your stay did not represent value for money.

The Guest drop off area is currently under review and we hope to have a solution for this ready for the start of next year, 2014.

I know we can do better & I have faith that we will one day make you a loyal follower of The Estate. We all hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Don't hesitate to contact me direct should you wish to discuss anything further;
mark.ayre@raithwaitehall.com

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at the estate, first time in the hotel estate when all our exoectations had been met and just recently in the six bedroomed Lake House. The accommodation was fantastic and service excellent. A great place for large families and young children and dogs. Lots to do around the lake house which was very safe and secure but away from the normal day to day part of the hotel. Parking was safe outside the house and a walk away from Sansend beach. We all had access to the hotel facilities and grounds so lots to do. Will definitely return again next year.

Room Tip: Lakehouse in a large plot overlooking the lake and hotel gardens
Dear Harjit T,

Thank you for your positive feedback of our Lakehouse. I'm extremely pleased to read your comments about our fantastic service.

We all look forward to welcoming you back when you return next year and many years to come.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

There was nothing truly stand out bad, but the build up of below average experiences - one or two of which could have been compensated for by excellence in other areas - left us feeling unsatisfied and disappointed. Up until leaving we were debating whether we were being harsh and unfair in our judgement, but overhearing the complaints of a fellow guest during checkout stiffened our resolve; as did looking at earlier reviews which highlighted the same issues we encountered. If only we had done so before booking.

The first issue was arrival and parking. The yard in front of the hotel entrance is quite small so space was limited to drop off only. Which was ok, except for the fact that the two spaces nearest the entrance were permanently taken during our stay by a large monogrammed Rolls Royce and a rope barrier, presumably to stop anyone parking too close to the shiny paintwork. A couple of disabled parking bays would have been a more thoughtful use of this space, especially as the parking area to which the cars had to retreat was well out of range of anyone with limited mobility. This was reached via a steep path, and the car park itself had a slope equal to many on the roads in this hilly area. A really good pull on the hand brake, and first gear is recommended.

Our initial room was on the first floor at the rear. In a modern five star hotel, I expect air conditioning, even in those north of the Humber. This was not the case. We were offered a portable air conditioning unit, but as the only opening to the outside was a French window onto a communal patio shared with the neighbouring room, this would have to be left ajar for the unit to work. We felt that this option did not offer the necessary privacy or security as the patio was excavated from the hill and was bounded by a six foot retaining wall. Instead we settled for a fan and a change for the following nights to a room with conventional windows inaccessible to possible intruders. In truth, the only intruder we had in our original room was a small frog, and we did return it to the wild unharmed.

Our second room was much more spacious and airy, and to be fair, it's bathroom, as with the first, was larger than one would expect. But, as they say, size, like monogrammed basins and personalised number plates on luxury cars, isn't everything. It's what you do with it. There are some basics you don't notice until they are absent, such as a shaver point, a decent shelf or equivalent to lay out your personal toiletries, face flannels, grab rails for the shower and bath, a mirror you don't have stand on a box to use, and a towel rack you can reach from the shower, rather than three paces away. Oh, yes, and built-in, not portable, airconditioning.

By this point, as our expectations of a relaxing break were receding, we were probably starting to look for faults. Suddenly 'spacious and airy' became 'sparse and characterless'. There was no mobile phone coverage. The HDTV only had half the normal freeview channels available. The room carpet had ridden up into gentle ripples normally found on the nearby North Sea in one of its quieter moments. If you were there on business, there wasn't really enough desk space to work. The room mirror, whilst looking nice with its smoky tint, was not really bright enough to be functional. But at least you didn't have to be over six foot to have a chance of using it.

They still had the builders in. Very punctual ones. Proclaiming their presence with the first of a regular convoy of dumper trucks at 8.00am every day. According to locals, the estate has got planning permission to build quite a number of holiday homes, so don't expect this activity to stop some time soon. We hadn't tried the restaurant or pool, but after talking to the other guest at check in, we were glad we hadn't.

These were the points we were discussing as we prepared to pay the bill. Were we being uncharitable? After all the staff were kind, friendly and had tried to resolve our problems. Then we got the bill. It was wrong (but eventually corrected).

I apologise if this review sounds negative. I didn't want it to be so. Raithwaite Hall has the feel of a place designed by someone who has gone straight for what they think will delight guests without covering the basic requirements first. Sorry to keep coming back to it, but air conditioning should come before under-floor bathroom heating every time. All little points on their own, but with a cumulative effect.

Unless measures are taken, I fear these issues will eventually catch up with the hotel. Unfortunately those that may pay the price will be the hard working and courteous staff, not the management and consultants who made the initial decisions.

Room Tip: The rooms are inconsistent in size and fittings, especially the more resonably priced ones. check ou...
4 Thank Chris M
Dear Chris M,

I'm very sorry to learn of the various frustrations you encountered during your time with us at The Estate.

I'm extremely appreciative of your feedback & please take my word that I, along with my fellow department heads, are taking all your comments very seriously. They, like me, were very disappointed to learn that on this occasion, the experience fell below your expectations. Your feedback makes us even more focused in our task to create true excellence.

Measures are always in place to improve. In various other reviews I have commented that the Guest drop off area is currently under review, and we will have a new process for this at the start of next year. In regards to your comments about the disabled parking, the two roped off spaces were there for exactly that. We also have several proposals from interior designers in order to continue adding 'character' to The Hotel.

I would be more than happy to give you an update on The Estate in the future, you can contact me anytime on mark.ayre@raithwaitehall.com. Please also feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss anything further.

I know that your next stay at The Estate will be a great one, and our courteous Team hope to welcome you back in the near future.

derbyshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

very poor customer service. , the entrance driveway looks like a junkyard with builders stuff not a great first impression. you get to the keep building first and wasn't sure if that was reception or not as signage is poor. when we arrived no one on reception and had to hang around until a staff member passed through. no one offered to order you a newspaper, or book an evening meal. when I tried to book a evening meal in the restaurant we were told they couldn't fit us in until 930pm ( far too late) when at 630pm there was only 4 tables taken . I have never stayed in a hotel where you can't eat in the restaurant. . . the bar menu was more at home in a fast food joint burger and fries, club sandwich and fries etc. the bar come lounge was sterile, bland and was a bit like a doctors waiting room with icy cold air blasting through the vents and not enough seating.. we had a courtyard room which looked like a garage block, the architect hasn't put a lot of thought into the design. there are lovely gardens but you can't even see them from the restaurant conservatory. some people in the main block told us their rooms looked on to a 6ft wall and the only windows were patio doors on a communal patio so couldn't leave them open at night for ventilation as no air con. internal decoration of the rooms wasn't £225 per night good. in fact the sofa bed was like a banana with a mattress a couple of inches thick , not designed for the rigours of hotel use. the receptionist did let my daughter sleep in another room
as she agreed it was unusable. the housekeeping was good and couldn't fault the cleaning at all. I was woken very early by builders dumper trucks going around the back of the courtyard rooms to another building site in the grounds. ( no mention on their website of building works going on ) It was like staying on a part finished modern housing estate with builders walking past the windows. the swimming pool was not clean it was cloudy and you couldn't see the bottom. the breakfast selection was good but for the money you do expect table service for the hot food. It was only after I had got something off the buffet that I realised I could have had fish cooked when the couple at the next table got it. An accident waiting to happen is the induction hob on the buffet table with a frying pan full of fat on it for you to cook yourself eggs, no staff member in sight. we expected that the old hall had been renovated this place has no soul or class . THERE IS A DISTINCT LACK OF LEADERSHIP AND STAFF TRAINING. it is too overpriced for what it is. It only is worth premier or holiday inn prices. We did get a discount off the £225 room rate and only paid £100 which is only what it was worth .

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank archiem3
Dear archiem3,

I was very sorry to learn of your disappointing experience at The Estate. As service professionals, the ladies and gentleman of Raithwaite pride themselves in honouring our guests with care, sincerity and delivering a special experience.

On this occasion we clearly let you down, despite our best efforts to resolve your issues. Please let me offer, on behalf of all The Team, my sincerest apologies for that. The last thing any of us wanted was for you to leave feeling distressed, and I do hope that one day you will give us the opportunity to put that right.

As I have said before in my responses, the feedback plays a vital part in the continued growth and improvement of our Estate. As a Team we take this very seriously and steps have been put in place to ensure that we quickly act upon your comments.

Since your stay, I also tried to contact you directly to offer a further apology. Unfortunately as of yet I have still been unable to do so.

Let me reiterate that we would love to welcome you back to The Estate and have the opportunity to restore your loyal faith in us to provide service excellence.

Chorley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and have to say I expected better for the price. We expected a really good luxury hotel, but in my opinion the hotel fell some way short. On arrival we were surprised to find the main car park was not adjacent to the hotel and accessible via a steep slope. True, there is a drop off area right outside the hotel, but this was full on our arrival and hence we had to carry our luggage a fair way down a steep slope before reaching the hotel itself which wasn't ideal.
The hotel itself is modern, but I couldn't help feeling it had a slightly claustrophobic feel squeezed into a ravine as it is. Granted, there were nice gardens at the back of the hotel, but because of the setting there was little in the way of views on the other three sides of the hotel. This perception was augmented by space apparently being at a premium in some areas of the hotel, most noticeably in the lounge/bar area. We found on at least one occasion during our short stay there was insufficient room in this area with all seats being taken.
In terms of the swimming pool/spa area downstairs, again I found this was all very compact, with a fitness room being right next to the swimming pool with the whole area being uncomfortably warm for me personally.
Other issues we noted were that although the food was a reasonable standard, it didn't strike us as being anything special, and somewhat concerningly that there were a large number of flies around the breakfast buffet area - indeed on one morning we noticed flies on the bread in this area.
Service was generally poor for what we expected of the hotel. One evening we opted for room service and waited approximately an hour which we felt was a bit on the lengthy side, while another evening in the bar, we ordered five meals, but only three arrived. We were then told there was a problem with the ordering system, and had a somewhat uncomfortable situation whereby three of us ate our meals while the other two in the party had to sit and watch while they waited for their meals. In fairness, we were offered sweets and drinks at no charge which was a nice gesture, however I would rather have things right first time. Other minor quibbles include the fact there was a very limited selection of TV channels in the room, no minibar, and (I don't think) a shaver point. I expected better for the price.
I would not say everything about the hotel was disappointing. The room itself was spacious and modern, and some of the staff (particularly the porter who greeted us) were pleasant and helpful. I just feel there were far too many things that weren't up to standard for the price and the marketing of the hotel which ultimately left us with a feeling of disappointment in terms of value for money

3 Thank Tony S
Raithwaite_Hall, Manager at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Tony S,

I read with great disappointment your recent review of our Estate. It seems that, on this occasion, we fell way short of your expectations. For that let me apologise on behalf of the Team. We let you down.

As ever we take feedback very seriously and continue to strive to make improvements to the ever developing Estate.

Set over 80 acres of land, The Estate continues to develop and I hope this aids in resolving the claustrophobic feeling you felt during this visit. On your next visit, be sure to leave the car at the front of The Hotel where our helpful, pleasant Porter would be delighted to park this for you. Be assured I will pass on your personal thanks to him.

Your comments about service sadden me. Ever since the opening in October 2011, we have received fantastic, supportive feedback about our caring, sincere and timely service. This is something we are very proud of on The Estate and knowing we let you down makes us even more focused and determined to do better.

I do hope you give us the chance to restore your loyal faith in our great Estate.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Recently stayed in the keep which is a separate building from the main hotel, still within the grounds of faith waste estate. Upon arrival the staff were very welcoming and professional, the communal areas were clean and quite modern and crisp in design. Room was also clean and well appointed. Breakfast was again very nice, a self service style but you order hot food which is served at your table. Staff were again very good, all smiles and willing to help.

The estate itself is really nice, there is some obvious work going on within the grounds but it was unobtrusive and I couldn't hear any building work at all so it didn't bother me at all.. The gardens behind the main hotel are beautiful and must be seen, I also found a family of llamas within the grounds which was a lovely surprise....

I will definitely visit again, lovely place.

Dear Stu7C9F

Thanks for taking the time to review our Estate,

Our smiling Team, famous Yorkshire Breakfasts and alpacas will all be waiting for you on your return. Look forward to it.