“Simply wonderful”
Review of Raithwaite Estate

Raithwaite Estate
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel under the special offer 'luxury for less' at £80 each per night this included breakfast, dinner and the spa facilities. We upgraded the room and stayed two nights, the room was very nice not as large as I expected but the en-suite bathroom very nice and very large, the facilities very good with french windows a balcony with a table and chairs, although we didn't use this as it was cold.

The dinner was superb but I have to say the buffet breakfast was something else. On arrival when it was explained that breakfast was buffet I was disappointed however, it was unlike any other buffet breakfast I have ever seen and they are really proud of their award winning breakfasts. The options are very broad, the continental breakfast options were better than the ones offered on the continent.

The spa facilities are lovely, clean, fresh and well maintained, I had a manicure the treatment and staff very professional and the price very competitive. If you use the spa before 10am or after 4pm these are the quietest times, we had the spa to ourselves between 8 and 9 am, fantastic.

I must recommend the afternoon tea - a little pricey at £16 per person but very nice, little elegant sandwiches, scones with preserve and clotted cream followed by delicious cakes and tea or coffee.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda C
Raithwaite_Hall, Raithwaite Hall at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Linda C,
We are ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay with us at Raithwaite Hall!
We are thrilled you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us and will pass on all of your fantastic feedback to our team.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was by far the best customer service I have ever received. From start to finish this experience was wonderful and would openly recommend that if you are in or around Whitby, stay at this hotel.

The quality of the hotel is fantastic, room was lovely, food of a high quality and hotel grounds are well maintained. All the staff were friendly, helpful and their customer service was of the highest order.

The hotel was reasonable priced and can't wait to return. I didn't make use of the Spa but had a look around and it seemed very professional. This is a tranquil retreat that needs to be visited. 10 out of 10

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Davide L

Davide L,
Thank you for writing a fantastic review of Raithwaite Hall!
We are ecstatic to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were happy with your room and dining experience with us!
We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

My hubby booked this hotel as a surprise for our wedding anniversary.From the moment we arrived and were met by the porter who welcomed us in and took care of our luggage, I knew we were in for a wonderful experience.The receptionist checked us in and confirmed our Afternoon Tea reservation and we were shown to our room by the aforementioned porter who had a marvellous sense of humour and was very informative.

Our room was a decent size with a lovely large bathroom that had underfloor heating and was spotlessly clean. The bedroom was simple and uncluttered in decor with a huge bed. The bed was the comfiest hotel bed I have ever slept in with lovely feather pillows & duvet! We didn't have much of a view but as it was only a single night stay it wasn't important.

The Afternoon Tea was brilliant, a wonderful selection of petite sandwiches and cakes but very filling! There were quite a few people enjoying this delightful Tea and I could see why it was so popular.

We made use of the Spa also. The pool had designated 'child friendly' times which I think is an excellent idea.for those with and those without children. There is a small fitness room as well.

We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was again delicious, the atmosphere is just right although the lighting a bit too subdued for me personally. Didn't have starters as we were still digesting the afternoon tea from earlier. The standard of the food was carried on at breakfast which was amazing, loads of choice. The staff are all very friendly and genuine without any stuffiness.

I can't recommend this hotel hghly enough and we will definitely be retuning for a longer stay.

Shorti35,
We are so pleased to see you were able to spend your anniversary with us!
We are thrilled that every aspect of your stay with us was just right for you and enabled you to have a relaxing experience!
We hope we can welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here over the Easter period in one of the little cottages as we had a dog.
The cottage was very nice and you have a small living area, bathroom downstairs and a large bedroom upstairs, very nice.
What lets this hotel down I feel to a 4 star is the service .
Breakfast is very nice but you need to get there early as they can not cope or sit a large number of people.We got there about 8:30/9 o clock got a seat then more people turned up to be told "we are full at the moment please go sit in the bar and we will come for you "
The breakfast is Buffett style apart from a chief that cooks your eggs the way you want them, but the line for the food was very long and they run out of plates !!!!
This could be improved big style.
Also I must mention that one day we went out to Whitby and when we came back the bed had not been made, we called reception to be told
"We don't make beds"!!!!!!!!
We said sorry you are a 5 star hotel and you don't make beds????
"Yes we don't make them, guests prefer us to leave them"!!!
I have been to some of the top hotels in the world and some of the worst and they always make the beds!!!!!
We asked her again if she was sure and she said yes, we asked her that if we asked her manager they would say the same thing?
Yes she said, only to ring us back 5 minutes later to say
"Sorry my mistake, we don't touch them if things are on the bed"!!!
They did offer to come back and make it now but we were too flabbergasted at her remakes and tired .
The setting is very nice and some great walks, but they need to improve a few things I think before they can call them selves a 5 star hotel.

4  Thank Gary M

Gary M,
Thank you for taking the time to review us at Raithwaite Hall.
We are saddened that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and that the service you received was not to your satisfaction.
Although we are not a star rated hotel, we are a luxury country retreat and expect a high standard of service to be given at all times.
Regarding your bed not being made, this was a mistake which has been addressed and I would like to assure you that we do make all of our guests beds on a daily basis unless asked otherwise, and apologise for the confusion that occurred in your case.
We hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your trust in us in the future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We booked and paid for a "regular" room . My wife had let it be known that it was our 35th wedding anniversary. Did this have an effect? I don't know but when we arrived we had been given the Presidential Suite. We have been to all four corners of the world and stayed in some fine hotels but this was the best ever. This hotel ticks virtually all of the right boxes. Beautiful gardens, pleasant staff. Peter the porter is a real gem. Virtually all? I was totally underwhelmed by dinner. The cheesy starter was fine. My steak was not cooked as I had asked and it was tough. They assured me it was of the best. I think their butcher is ripping them off. My carrot cake dessert was dry as well. On the other hand my wife was VERY happy with her duck .
They redeemed themselves totally with breakfast. Quite the nicest breakfast I have ever had anywhere ever.

1  Thank leedscruiser

Leedscruiser,
We are thrilled you chose to celebrate your anniversary with us at Raithwaite Hall!
It is a shame to hear your dining experience was not completely to your satisfaction and will pass this feedback on to the relevant departments.
We are pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and your complimentary room upgrade helped make celebrating your anniversary more special.
We hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here before and had a pleasant time so we came back - mistake!
Check in was good the porter was helpful. However the deluxe room was tiny with zero view. The gym facilities are basic but the pool is nice and there are child free times if you want them. Evening bar service very poor - ignored for ages then slow service - to add to this then charged double for the bar bill on check out - check you bill when you leave. However my real gripe is the surly and unhelpful breakfast waitress. After waiting in a queue to be seated she offered us a rubbish table by the door - when i asked to move she said no tables were laid - which was not true- we moved ourselves and got a curt comment. I ordered porridge specifically with water not milk- it came ages later made with full milk - a male waiter had to sort it out as she clearly did not give a damn. Despite two reminders my husbands tea arrived well after the end of a two course breakfast! Ruined our break - not sure I'd go back thanks to the young breakfast waitress !

• Stayed: March 2013

Karen.simpson,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review for Raithwaite Hall.
We truly appreciate all of your comments and would like to assure you that all of the above issues have been addressed and reported to the relevant departments.
This is not how we usually conduct business and we are disappointed that your stay was not as enjoyable as your first.
We hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your trust in is in the future.
Your Raithwaite Hall

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of days at the very beginning of January, this being our 4th stay at this hotel. There were a few things that needed attention that had been overlooked:
1. The room wasn't cleaned properly, dust on a lot of surfaces to the extent we had to wipe them down...not something you expect to do at a four star hotel. The bedside drawer had been broken and not repaired.
2. The balcony area had algae appearing at the corners and a number of the glass panels had slipped down in their mounts...such simple things to remedy which look sooo bad!
3. The spa...this was my biggest gripe, I'm not sure they can call it a spa more like hotel with treatment rooms:
- No separate area for consultations to be undertaken...you had to intrude on the relaxation area where other guests were trying to relax after their treatments...this is not good!
- In the 'relaxation area' there was a tea and coffee machine bubbling away in the corner ...not much relaxation there then.
- Treatments (I had a massage) were very average, the usual set routing superficial massage that leaves you feeling wanting.
- Colour Scheme...what colour scheme...there isn't one. NEVER have I been to a spa which is painted magnolia! No effort has been made to separate the spa area from the adjoining function areas with some colour. A spas is supposed to be a place which induces rest and calm, this is partly achieved through the use of subtle colours...not here it just looked like a Barratt show
house...really lets the place down big time. It just doesn't feel like a spa, more like a series of treatment rooms in the basement.
Moving on...access to the lovely gardens is not possible through the hotel...you have walk all the way around side and down the garden to get back into that area...just not very well thought out.
One last gripe...the bed in our room was so hard I came away with a bad back after the second night...why isn't the general manager checking things like this, this just isn't acceptable! We were asked to participate in a quality survey which we did outlining most of the above...nobody has followed up on this?...
We will probably return again to this hotel at some point but next time I will making my complaints straight to the manager

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Raithwaite_Hall, Raithwiate Hall at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Andrew B,
Thank you for writing an honest review of you stay with us.
We truly appreciate all of your feedback and have passed all of your comments on to the necessary departments.
It is a shame that our spa was not to your taste and that you found your bed to be too hard. We have had a lot of positive feedback regarding both of these so would like to take this opportunity to invite you to speak with a member of the management team on your next visit with us so we can rectify any issues and make sure you have a more positive experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your return.