“Many Happy Returns” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Many Happy Returns”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was our fourth visit to this lovely retreat, and we went for the Jefferson Suite as it was my birthday and we were only able to stay for one night. What a step up it was! Beautiful!
This hotel continues to improve, the little touches like own brand deli products which you can now purchase mean long after a visit you are tasting the tomato chutneys and ketchup still.
We are constantly recommending Raithwaites to friends who all agree with us after a visit.
This time we enjoyed again fish and chips in the bar which are hard to not have once you have sampled, the cocktails available off the menu are superb and if they are not on the menu they will be made still, try the elderflower collins if you like your gin!
The birthday treat waiting for me on arrival was most appreciated as was Richard greeting us in the car park to whisk our luggage up to the suite.
I could write a whole review about the breakfast alone! Has to be sampled and allow yourself good time to work your way through the delights, all the produce is local where possible or homemade (ketchup!)
I have not even started on the super comfy beds but trust me, they are!
This hotel is not happy in less you are, the staff are the same people from visit to visit which is always a good sign, and as the hotel expands so does the quality.
I sound like a paid stooge but myself and partner are just very VERY happy Raithwaite return visitors and cannot wait to be back again soon!

Room Tip: Executive doubles always great!
1 Thank Jim-Donna-KC
Raithwaite_Hall, Raithwaite Hall at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
DF-KC-JP,
It fills us with pride to hear you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us for the fourth time!
We are thrilled you were pleased with the Jefferson Suite and also that the cocktails at Poachers Bar did not disappoint you!
It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast with us and were happy with the condements provided at Brace Reastuarnt and Grill!
We can only thank you for recommending us to your friends and truly appreciate you returning to us as a loyal customer.
We look forawrd to welcoming you back in the near future!
Your Raithwaite Hall Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have just returned from a 2 night break with my boyfriend at Raithwaite Hall, our family had bought us some gift vouchers for the hotel and so we booked looking for a relaxing break. Apart from a few hiccups during our stay and the room we felt was over priced, I still can't quite put my finger on what has left me feeling dissapointed about this hotel. Perhaps it was the overall cost and we felt £700 was a lot of money for 2 nights and we could probably have stay in a renowned chefs hotel/restaurant or a short break abroad for that amount of money.

We booked the day before our stay and therefore managed to get a decent rate of £190 dinner bed & breakfast on the first night and the second night we paid the indulgence rate of £329 dinner bed & breakfast + 2 x 50min spa treatmentst. This rate was for a deluxe room, having looked at the website we decided to pay a little extra for the better room and we also had lunch in the hotel on the first afternoon & 1 more 25 min spa treatment which along with drinks & supplements on the restaurant dinner menu (& there's quite a few!) brought the bill to just over £700.
Our check in was warm & friendly, however the first room we were taken to on the first floor was not a patch on the light, bright & roomy image shown for a deluxe room on the hotel website. The hotel is built into a steep bank on one side & this room although on the first floor was built into the bank with the windows at ground level & what looked like a footpath that went right by at window level. The bank has not been landscaped like the rest of the hotel grounds & looked quite scruffy with a run down fence at the top. The room although newly furnished, seemed dark & depressing & there was a strong chemical smell like that in a new car. We called reception & asked if there was any other rooms available & we were advised that there were another couple of options. A staff member came to our room, he was a gentleman with an accent (possibly german) he asked "Can you tell me exactly what is the problem with the room!". I explained that there was a strong smell & I didn't feel comfortable opening the window with the path been at window level, it didn't seem very private. He said they did a deep clean in the rooms every few months & this could be the cause of the smell. He took us to the 2nd floor to another room that was more light & airy but it did still look out on to the scruffy grass bank but just higher up. I don't understand why the hotel that has invested lots of money on the grounds/gardens at the front, have done nothing to make this bank more attractive, quite a lot of the rooms face out this way and it would be so much nicer if it was properly landscaped with some flowering & would make a big difference to guests staying in these rooms. We took this second room, which was a good size, but not huge, however it was nicely furnished with a good sized bathroom. However during our stay I poked my nose in a slightly smaller room that was been cleaned & I could only assume was an executive room, the next level down & our room was not worth the extra £50 a night we paid for a deluxe room. The first night we returned to the room around 11pm watched a bit of TV before going to sleep just before midnight, at about 12.40am the fire alarm went off, we were both in a deep sleep & with the high pitched noise & red flashing light that lit the room up, it absolutely scared the life out of us, my heart was banging in my chest for about 15 mins afterwards. I have heard fire alarms go off in hotels before & I know they are important to wake people up but I've never heard one this loud. It only went off for a few seconds leaving us really frightened & confused, my partner called down to the desk & they said they were investigating but weren't away there was a fire at that time. We managed to just about nod off again and about 40 mins later the phone rang! It was the front desk to say it was a non emergency alarm! Needless to say, we didn't get a good nights sleep, paranoid that the alarm was going to go off again. We didn't receive any communication, explanation or apology from the hotel the next day, twice I asked the staff on the front desk why the alarm had gone off, had it been investigated & was it likely to happen again. The staffs response was just that it was a non emergency alarm & they didn't think it would happen again! I felt it was poor of the hotel that they didn't at the very least put a letter in the guest rooms or a notice in the reception to let guests know the circumstances of the alarm & to apologise for the disturbance, I think offering the guests even a complimentary drink in the bar that evening would have made us feel that the disturbance had been acknowledged & dealt with.
We used the spa the second day, the staff were lovely however the relaxation room was too small & busy & I couldn't get in there in the morning after my treatment. The spa/pool was busy even for a monday & there is not enough loungers & too many chairs around the pool, you could see guests hanging around the very few loungers waiting for them to come available. The hotel is building more guest accomodation in a separate building & I do think that if they aren't expanding their leisure facilities, they will stuggle in the spa/pool when they start taking in more guests. The restaurant was very nice, we preffered the grill menu as aposed to the a la carte, the staff were very friendly, my partners steak on the 2nd night was not very good & this was dealt with very well by the retaurant staff so we were pleased with this. Breakfast was also very tasty with a good choice.

As I said at the beginning of my review, I still can't quite put my finger on what was lacking here, I can only put it down to the overall cost, the room that we felt was overpriced as an upgrade, the pool/spa that is too small for the hotel & the lack of sleep on our first night due the fire alarm incident that we didn't feel was dealt with by the hotel.

Room Tip: I would go for an executive rather than a deluxe room, the deluxe isn't worth the additional £50...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Angierob73
Raithwaite_Hall, Raithwaite Hall Team at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Angierob73,
Thank you for your recent review and feedback,
We were disappointed to read, that we were unable to meet your expectations and that
you did not rate your overall customer experience to be value for money.
Since our recent opening we have received very positive and supportive feedback regarding the unique and individual amenities of the hotel and the surrounding environment within the resort,
as you can see from the Tripadvisor community, our landscaping team have been showered with praise for their hard work and commitment to providing an outstanding natural environment within the resort and I am sorry that our unique surroundings did not suit you.

Please let me reassure you that as an organization, the safety and security of our guests are paramount. We work continually with the local authorities to ensure we have the correct measures in place. We sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding the hotels fire alarm procedures as its vital information like this that helps us create a special experience. We are continuing to strive to make the retreat a unique and distinctive destination and with your feedback we will achieve these goals.

Once again we apologize that we could not fulfil your aspirations here at Raithwaite and we
hope that one day you will provide us another opportunity to restore your trust in us.

Regards
Raithwaite Hall Team
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked a visit to Raithwaite Hall as an early Valentines Treat for my partner and I. Neither of us had been before.
First impressions of RH are truly stunning. Not only is the location beautiful and rural but the stunning rugged beach and sea are literally 2 mins away and Whitby itself is literally a 5-10min drive.
It is clear that RH take time and training with their staff in customer service as nothing was too much trouble. All staff from waiters to receptionist's were impeccably polite and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble.
We were welcomed, our luggage taken off our hands and given a quick tour of the facilities by a friendly gentleman.
Our executive room was both modern, stylish, spacious and very clean. Our view from the first floor out to the gardens was stunning. The queen style bed was so comfortable with quality bedding and towels provided. Being Molton Brown fans we had a selection of their toiletries to use in our bathroom. This was a nice touch of luxury!

We decided to dine at the Hotel in the evening. The bar area is cosy/warm & relaxing. The bar staff are attentive and very polite/friendly.
We were shown to our table in Braces Restaurant which is tastefully decorated and has a relaxing atmosphere. All tables had fresh cut flowers on which is a lovely touch.
The friendly, polite waiter was not only cheerful but only to happy to recommend menu choices.
We had 3 courses including a steak and all were beautiful. The food was both fresh, tasty and cooked superbly. The prices are not cheap but we were happy to pay for good food. The bar drinks are quite expensive but there is a lot of choice at different prices.

During our stay we made use of RH's Spa. We used the pool, sauna, steam and jacuzzi. There is also a small gym available. The spa was never too busy with a chance to use all facilities without over-crowding. again, the Spa reception staff were very polite and friendly. All areas were kept immaculately clean. This is a great place to unwind and take use of all the facilities on offer.

We booked on a Bed & Breakfast option so were looking forward to a cooked English breakfast.
Breakfast was a buffet style but there was more than enough choice to suit all tastes. The chef was a very friendly gentleman on hand in the buffet area to speak with.
All items were nicely presented, fresh and plentiful. We had the cooked option and this was outstanding. The bacon and sausages were to die for!! I would thoroughly recommend sampling this. We given toast and plenty of tea & coffee/ fresh juice. The waiting staff were attentive and very friendly.

Both of us were very impressed by all that RH had to offer and it was the perfect choice for a relaxing, romantic night away in pure luxury.

We would both come back to RH and hopefully very soon.

I would thoroughly recommend a stay at RH if you want a night away from it all. Just perfect.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Milehinik,
Thank you for taking the time to write a brilliant and thorough review of our hotel!
We are thrilled that you had such a great stay with us and that our ladies and gentlemen were able to make you feel welcome.
It is wonderful to hear that you were able to enjoy all of the facilities Raithwaite Hall has to offer and we are so pleased that you are looking to return!
We will pass on your inspirational comments to all of our team and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Your Raithwiate Hall Team
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just back from a two night stay at Raithwaite Hall and absolutely fabulous. I booked the two-night anniversary package for my fiancés birthday treat, from arriving to leaving we enjoyed every minute. The only slight issue was that we could hear the guests above us walking about however, this didn't dampen our weekend (we were in an exec/club room). The staff are brilliant, the food is amazing, we had a three course dinner included and it was perfect, the breakfasts are fantastic - there is so much choice and great to see local suppliers being used. We had spa treatments booked which were brilliant, the spa was really relaxing and clean. The hotel grounds make a nice walk and in summer they must look absolutely beautiful. Thank you to the team at the hotel for a brilliant weekend away and for bringing a birthday cake out for my fiancé. Would definitely recommend and look forward to staying again!

YorkieMonkey,
Thank you for writing such a fantastic review of our unique retreat!
It is great to hear you enjoyed using our spa facilities and your experience at Brace Restaurant and Grill was a good one.
We really appreciate your motivational comments regarding our ladies and gentlemen and will most certainly share them with all of our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Your Raithwiate Hall Team
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife booked the hotel as a birthday surprise for early February. From the onset the staff were friendly,obliging & went out of their way to help us. Our room on the third floor was very well appointed. The spa was excellent with a pool,sauna & steam room. Dinner was amazing. Breakfast was an experience in itself with an array of individual cereals,fruit etc and the obligatory full English buffet. Eggs and omelettes were available to order.
After breakfast we were able to walk from the hotel into Whitby approximately 3 miles each way on the Cleveland Way.
All in all Raithwaite Hall is an exceptional establishment to visit for a special occasion. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Raithwaite_Hall, Raithwaite Hall at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
dannyLeeds,
Thank you for a wonderful review of our country retreat!
We are ecstatic that you had an enjoyable time using our spa facilities and that your room was to your satisfaction!
We will pass on your compliments to all of our ladies and gentlemen, including out Brace Restaurant and Grill team!
We hope to welcome you back in the future!
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was our second stay at Raithwaite Hall hotel.

We're a family of 4, myself and mu husband, with our 16 year old boy and our 11 year old girl, hence we ask for a family room. It is divine. The accommodation is fabulous. Very modern, I cannot think of a think that is not catered for. The rooms are extremely well equipped and beautifully decorated.

The spa facilities, I can only comment on the pool, which is very very nice, having 2 x 2 hour childrens sessions per day. Robes are provided in the rooms.

The restaurant is excellent, but expensive. Dont come if youre not expecting it to be an expensive night out. We found our meal to be very very nice, but the dessert was not worth the £7.00 per plate we paid. :-( However, the breakfasts at Raithwaite Hall are SECOND TO NONE. I urge you to get up early, and walk in hungry. Breakfast like a King. It is MAGNIFICENT. You are spoilt for choice, so do take ones time, and fill up.

The staff are charming and attentive to a fault.
I had forgotten my hairbrush, so Pippa on reception even located a spare one on site for me.

It really is a lovely place to take a break. Not cheap, but if you can afford it, do it.

Room Tip: Family rooms are excellent
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
SpunkyPumpkin,
We are so glad your second stay with us did not disappoint you!
It is fantastic to hear you were pleased with our family suite and were happy with the children’s splash times at our Spa.
We will pass on your motivational comments to Pippa, our culinary team and all of our ladies and gentlemen!
We look forward to welcome you back again!
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had the pleasure of being a guest on my friends 50th birthday spa day. On arrival at the hotel the staff were very attentive. First impressions count and straight away we saw the porters rushing to open the main front door for us. They made us all feel really special from that moment. We went for our spa and treatments and the girls in the spa were very polite and professional and made us all feel welcome and comfortable in the fabulous surroundings we found ourselves. After the treatments we went for our afternoon tea. Our waiter Scott was a very well presented, professionaly trained and very chatty without being in our way and over bearing. Scott is the main person whom i will remember from our trip for his professionalism in presenting himself to us and really making Hayleys day very special. His attension to detail in every part of our tea and answering the questions some of our daughters asked about how he was serving the champagne. They will now carry forward why there is a hole in the bottom of a champagne bottle. Nothing was too much bother for him in anyway. On leaving the hotel for our bus back home the porters again rushed with umbrellas to escort the birthday girl to her carriage. Absolutly made her and us all feel like royalty. I will definatly be coming back to the hotel. The surroundings are first class and the views from the spa were tranquil and relaxing. All in all a lovely day for us all. Well done !!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Lynnep451,
We are ecstatic to receive such a fantastic review from you!
Thank you for your inspirational comments regarding Scott and the rest of our ladies and gentlemen, we will certainly pass them on!
We are thrilled you enjoyed your spa day with us and hope we can welcome you back soon!