“5 star ”
Review of The White House

The White House
Ranked #50 of 152 Whitby B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from my stay with my partner and daughter... the views were stunning, the room was clean and comfy and the staff were excellent. As a keen golfer it was ideal as it is located next door to a golf course and was only a 15 minute walk to Whitby town. Will definitely be returning in the summer!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The White House

Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We chose to stay here as we had our dog with us. The rooms used for pets are in the annexe. Unfortunately, despite the lovely location, there is only a skylight window so you can't admire the view from your room.
Pros - can take your dog to stay over & in the bar; very friendly staff; manageable size room; help yourself tea, coffee, juice & toast at breakfast.
Cons - the bed was uncomfortable and very bony - I had marks on my hip from the springs :(
Early & limited breakfast and check out times - 8-9 breakfast!, 10am check out! As this was a 'holiday' stay we found it was too early to have breakfast. Having said that, the staff were very friendly & I'm sure if we had asked for a later breakfast they would done this for us.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank littleminx_01
Reviewed February 23, 2014

After an initial misunderstanding between myself and the manager(may i add this was due to problems with groupon),our stay at this hotel was one of the best we've had in Whitby!!!Not only was the hotel in a lovely situation,but it was also spotless and well presented..As a woman one of the main things i look for is cleanliness,clean bed linen and towels,they were all perfect..We stayed in room 6,lovely room with a great view..One of the main things that stood out to us was how wonderful the managers and staff were towards all their customers,nothing was to much trouble..We were also impressed with the food and portion size.We would like to wish Dave and Linda all the best for the future i'm sure your hotel will go from strength to strength..Linda was one of the nicest people we have met..Good luck.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank suzannew243
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

I went here for Valentines Day this year and was taken a back by the perfect weekend we had.
The food was perfect, the people were friendly and the views were to die for!
I strongly recommend a stay if you find yourself in Whitby.
Thanks for everything!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike R
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Both me and my husband steve spent our 5th anniversary here and were not disappointed the new management along with all the staff were very welcoming friendly and went out of their way to accomodate us.The white house is a lovely place with beautifull views , nice clean ,tidy rooms, and the food was delicious and very well presented.We both had a fantastic couple of days we will be back a placed not to be missed cant thank all of you enough .

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I live locally and stopped using the Hotel for meals,however i was informed that new owners had taken over so my wife and I decided to pay it a visit for lunch. The bar and dining area was very clean and inviting, the views from the dining area was as always stunning On entering we were greeted by two members of the staff who may have been the new hosts with a smile and once seated the landlord came to our table for us to order our drinks which were served promptly. They have a large selection of beers a bit pricey but that is not uncommon. When it came to order the food, the menu was of a wide choice and in the price range £9.00 to £12.00 although we were offered a " Golden menu price" this was for seniors and was in fact a small portion of anything on the main menu. as we were not over hungry, we chose this. Whilst we waited for our food the staff entered in to a conversation with us and made us feel at home. The food when it arrived, although on a small plate was plentiful with an assortment of fresh veg. Both my wife and i thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the company. apparently the new hosts relocated from Harrogate and brought their own head chef ans assistant chef plus some staff,The head chef was off work on our visit so it bodes well for this Hotel.we will have to revisit when the Head chef is on.duty.
Conclusion A vast improvement on the last time we visited, the food was excellent and the staff friendly and the restaurant area spotless. Would i recommend it to others YES

Room Tip: Didn't stay overnight
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
WhiteHseWhitby, Manager at The White House, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Thanks very much for your kind words and we delighted that you have already seen an improvement since we took over. Hopefully we will see you at The White House again in the near future

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I had a groupon boooking for 4 rooms and was emailed by groupon the week before to say it had been cancelled. I rang the hotel and they gave me a full explanation and offered us the rooms minus the evening meal offer for an extra £3 which I thought was a very nice gesture.
Food and service was excellent. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Having stayed there before I knew it was a lovely walk to whitby town and if need be taxis are cheap.

I would highly recommend this hotel and would like to thank all the staff and the new owners very much and good luck with your new venture.

• Stayed: January 2014
WhiteHseWhitby, Manager at The White House, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words. The White House has just changed ownership and lots of great things are planned to make all visits a greater experience for guests. We hope to welcome you back soon.