“Last minute booking, great stay”

Pinewood Guesthouse
Ranked #80 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
Llangefni, United Kingdom
“Last minute booking, great stay”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I hadnt booked anywhere to stay in Whitby and had taken a chance on finding somewhere to stop. After finding a parking place, managed to secure two rooms at the Pinewood.
The rooms were large and spacious, tastefully decorated with great ensuite facilities.
You were made to feel welcome by the owners and nothing was too much trouble.
Great breakfast the following morning with a good assortment of cereals, fruit and traditional British breakfast.
There was also free Wi Fi available in our rooms.
The Pinewood is located with easy access to the center of town so ideal for a short walk down to the port or up to Whitby Abby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alistair M

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here late January, it was a bit tentative because we had a flurry of snow the night before and were not sure that we could travel up but the manager was helpful by advising us of travel and offering an alternative date. As it was we were able to make it but had to pass a few “ditched” cars to get there.

The guest house whilst looking similar to the others on the street has a modern interior and we were delighted when we got to the bedroom to find tasteful modern decor with plenty of room for a double bed, bedside cabinets, couple of chairs, wardrobe and drawers. We were pleased to see coffee facilities with a choice of coffee, tea and hot chocolate and biscuits, also proper glasses to drink out of not the plastic wrapped things!

In a basket on the drawers we found a hair dryer and a corkscrew which was also another thoughtful touch.

The bathroom was spacious, modern and sparkly with fluffy towels and a selection of shower gels which was another thoughtful addition.

We also had a look in our friends room (who had the family room) and they had similar modern decor, a good bathroom and facilities, however the overspill room was a bit cell-like, all white with 2 single beds in, this could do with cheering up a bit.

We went for breakfast the next day after a lovely sleep and the experience was excellent. Again set in a modern, clean room, there was a selection of fresh fruit and an array of cereals on the dresser as well as orange juice.

The best thing was the cooked breakfast cooked to perfection, lovely bacon, hash brown, beans, grilled tomato, cooked whole succulent mushrooms, egg fried just right for dipping and spilling, a choice of sauces, spreads and brown or white bread and coffee and tea. It was delicious.

On one of the days, I wasn’t feeling well and returned to my room whilst cleaning was taking place. This is always a test in B&B’s because I have had owners refuse me access to the room while cleaning was going on. Well the manager was very understanding and allowed me to stay in the room until I was feeling better, so extra bonus points for that!

If there were any minus points, I think the boiler/heating may need looking at because the first night was stifling and the hot water was dangerously scolding hot (but saying that it is better to be too hot than cold - as we have stayed in places where they have turned the heating off!).

This is a great little B&B and we are only sad that we didn’t find it sooner, we decided to stay on longer and it was no hardship to have another lovely sleep and great breakfast.

Room Tip: While we were ok, our friends said they could hear the people walking about above them, maybe the to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank artanabart2016
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have just got back from a weekend at Whitby, myself, my husband and our 2 friends. This will have been the fifth time we have stayed at Pinewood. We are never disappointed. We were slightly concerned that the new owners would not have the same standards as the previous ones. We really shouldnt have worried they were so kind and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We didnt think the breakfasts could be improved on- we were wrong. Cereal, fresh strawberries,raspberries, blueberries, grapes. Lovely yogurts. And then the full English- amazing. All organic and locally sourced. The pots of tea and toast kept coming as we ran out. Our rooms were spotless, with immaculate white bed linen and towels.
Our trips to Whitby would not be the same if we didnt stop at Pinewood.
See you next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lorraine2286
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at Pinewood guest house for a weekend , It was a party of 5 couples and 1 child ,On arrival we were all greeted very warmly by Josianne and Tim our hosts. Our bags were taken to the rooms and were left to settle in . We found the guesthouse very clean and tidy all the rooms were supplied with tea/coffee and biscuits and fresh bedding / towels , hairdryer and Tv . The guest house is 5 mins from whitby beach which is very clean , whitby is full of shops bars and restaurants and are all in walking distance from Pinewood . The breakfast was enough to keep you full til tea time .
Josianne and Tim went out of there way to make our weekend special to the point of dinning out with us at the local fish restaurant Trenchers . I highly recommend a weekend in Whitby staying at the Pinewood Guest House and we cant wait to go back thanks you Josianne and Tim

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jacs039
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Pinewood house is one of the loveliest B & B I have ever stayed in. I booked the double en suite room for me and my son. While booking rooms at the Pinewood House, I said to myself well, it's just a modest place for me and my son to stay while vacationing in Whitby. But when we arrived, I was pleasantly surprised at how spacious and very clean and comfortable the room was. The double beds were beautifully made with luxury sheets/comforters/duvets. It had a tray with hot water kettle and coffee and cookies. The bathroom was very clean. To top that were the very friendly hosts Tim and Josiane. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted at the door, they personally helped us with our stuff to our room. We were immediately made to feel at home with they way they interacted with us. In the morning, we were more amazed at the sumptuous breakfast prepared by our host Josiane herself. All I can say it that we really, really enjoyed our stay at the Pinewood House, and will stay there again when in Whitby. I will highly recommend this B & B to anyone visiting Whitby!

Mary.

Room Tip: Any room in this B & B is comfy.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary M
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our two night stay at the Pinewood was wonderful. It's a beautifully maintained B and B in close proximity to the beach and town and provides everything you need. The rooms are comfy and spacious and the breakfasts are delicious. However what really made our stay were our fabulous hosts, Josianne and Jim who went above and beyond their roles to ensure we had a great stay. From waiting up late for us to arrive to spotting it was my birthday and buying me a present!! They eagerly invited all guests to join them for drinks or barbie food as they had family visiting and even got red wine out of my white jeans...highly impressive!! We would definitely return and can heartily recommend this B and B to anyone visiting Whitby!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank EllieBr
Sheffield UK
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Four of stayed here; me, my husband and our 2 friends. We had 2 double ensuite rooms for 2 nights, breakfast was included. The Pinewood is just a 5 min walk from the sea front, there are lots of pubs and restaurants and the usual seaside attractions. The beach at Whitby is particularly impressive. The beds at the Pinewood were very comfy and there was plenty of storage space. There was a flat screen TV, hair dryer, kettle and tea, coffe and biscuit supplies. The bathroom has a really effective, hot shower and the whole place was very clean and nicely decorated and maintained. The full English breakfast was very good and the hosts were friendly and helpful. Altogether the Pinewood comes highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple