“A great fun value for money break.”
Review of The Wilson Arms

The Wilson Arms
The Wilson Arms
Ranked #137 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
“A great fun value for money break.”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This was the best week I've had for years. The service and quality was magnificent! I never stopped laughing all week. The food was excellent and the accomadation clean and homely. I will defitely be returning for another break. It was great value for money and the hosts were most welcoming. Must go back.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank thripp

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Louth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My sister in law and I wanted a one night stay in Whitby, needing two single rooms, I was surprised that in spite of the fact we both had double rooms we were only charged half of the price ( most unusual, other B & Bs take note, there are alot of us single travellers). We arrived about 7.30 ish having eaten in Whitby , a fact we regretted as soon as we saw the food coming out of the kitchen. Our rooms were spotless, the hosts and the staff were very friendly, we were sorry we could not stay longer and we will definitely be going again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Susan L
Wigan
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed 5 mins walk from the pub. My husband and son-in-law enjoyed a drink there 3 out of 4 nights. On our last evening we ate there 4 adults and a 3 yr old. Yes the family room was basic but the food was plentiful, steaming hot and good. All the staff were friendly, i would def visit again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
East Yorkshire
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here one night in early August. We arrived 40 minutes early and thought we could have a drink while we waited for our room (it was about 1.15pm and it is a pub!) The place was locked up and as we walked away we were shouted back and taken through the 'play area' where we were met by Nick the owner who asked quite abruptly "Why are you here? We're closed!" We said we would go into Whitby and come back for a steak meal later.
We came back and was taken to our room. Very bland and plain. When using the loo I felt I was in a wardrobe! The sink was next to the bed with creaky floorboards. Quite funny really, lying in bed the next morning, being splashed by accident by my husband getting a wash! A very small dated room for £90 a night. I think it should be about £40-£50?
We went downstairs and was TOLD we were getting our meal NOW (it was about 6.30pm) I asked if we could have it in the bar area rather than the restaurant and was told by Nick "Thats where you are getting it anyway!" The meal was nice and luckily, we have a good sense of humour and was laughing at the way he was behaving,
When we came down the next morning for breakfast we were told by Nick that he wasn't ready for us and "Get yourself out for a walk!" We were walking up the road and I was asking my husband why we were walking up a hill at 8.30am. Haha!
All in all, I have never paid so much money to be bullied so much!
What a strange experience! Sorry, I wouldn't recommend it. It was clean though.......

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Donnamarpla

Travelers are raving about these Whitby hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were staying in a nearby cottage (Old Haven, beautiful!) and thought we'd pop to the local for a bite to eat and a few drinks one evening.
From the minute we walked in to the minute we left (about an hour in total) we were continually insulted by one of the owners. Comments were passed on our dress, our choice of accomodation and at one stage he went so far as to call my friend a witch! I'm not sure if this was his attempt at humour but we both possess a very healthy sense of humour and neither of us found this funny.
The food was 1980's in style, substance and flavour. Made from frozen and depressing all in all.

AVOID - You have been warned. If on the other hand you would like a trip to Royston Vasey, then definitely go.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Strypee
Caistor, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed on a Saturday evening in July, we booked the room on a on-line booking agents site. We paid £90 for bed and breakfast, we thought it was a little expensive after paying £60 for our last stay in central Whitby however, it was a last minute decision to go.

We arrived around 4.30ish and the pub was closed but one of the owners opened the door immediately and took us through to the bar area and booked us both in, he proceeded to escort us up to our first floor room saying we had the last room, as he opened the door he stated 'no view I'm afraid' he wasn't kidding the view from the window was of the pub extension, some sky lights and roof tops.

The room itself was tiny just fitting in it a double bed and a wardrobe, a small room accommodated the toilet and shower with just enough room to stand between the two. The shower room had a heat lamp for a light bulb that my husband said would burn his head if he stood up, and a small carpeted step to the room which I tripped upon several times, health and safety springs to mind! The seperate sink was in the actual bedroom itself with shampoo and soap, and towel rails situated outside of the shower room.

There was a TV however it wasn't a flat screen just your standard portable, tea and coffee making facilities where available in the room. The decor was tired but the carpets hovered and the bedding was clean.

We didn't have dinner at the pub, but did have a few drinks which where expensive, we retired early to discover our room was above the pub lounge and was very noisy!

Breakfast what can I say the food was great however we had to share a table with strangers due to there no being enough tables, disappointing.

Would we stay again 'no' .

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Lisa P
leeds
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I have been to the Wilson Arms OOO lots of times and the food cant be faulted.
We cannot manage a full three course meal at night as the portions are so large. Breakfast wonderfully cooked and everything anyone could want.

Nick and Richard are great hosts (if people complain they have no sense of humour) we always have a good laugh.

We always stay for four nights, twice a year, always find somewhere different to visit during the day and then enjoy a drink and our meal at night. Aslo have a laugh on Tuesday quiz night.

Jean and Jack

Room Tip: There is one small room, not a fault of the owners, otherwise all o.k.