“That's it - never going here again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Graveleys

Graveleys
Ranked #136 of 213 Restaurants in Whitby
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“That's it - never going here again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We went to this place yesterday. This is the 4th time we have been in the last few years. The 3rd time we went we weren't happy either - but chalked it up to a one-off. With yesterday's visit being even worse it is obviously starting to look like the norm.
When we got there, we stood and waited for about 10 mins until we were eventually given a table, although to be honest I have seen the place busier and gotten quicker servive. However, after ordering we then waited a further 20 mins until the food came. When it arrived our hearts sank.
We bought three £10 fish dinners, plus two children's fish dinners.
The chips portions on the adult meals were TINY. Really, it was pathetic. They were small the last time - so this is obviously the way the restaurant is proceeding. Most of my chips had green bits as well. The oil must be from last week, as the batter was burnt and aged. The fish was poor, and soaked in the old rank oil. The bread and butter portions were meant to be for three adults, but I could have eaten it just for myself. The children's fish portions were tiny, flattened square that was of even worse quality.
We spent £40 yesterday, and I felt totally conned, and still very hungry.
Never again will we go there. The lovely view is a bonus, but I'm going to spend my hard earned cash somewhere else in the future.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank blacksmiths09

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor, very poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I took my wife and daughter to Whitby for a day out today, this place was on the way from the car parknto the harbour and we were all hungry, so we thought we would try it. I had an idea that things were not quite right when, whilst waiting to be seated, the staff just walked past us 3 times! Once seated, the order was taken and it took nearly 20 minutes, and prompting from us, to just get our drinks. I watched tge meals come out and all the fish were over done and burnt. When ours arrived, nearly an hour after we were first seated, the fish was burnt and tge oil obviously hadn't been cleaned from Saturday's service. My fish was tough and flavourless, they didn't bring me any mushy peas or bread. When I went up to pay my personal space was invaded, very rudely by one of the other diners. Obviously this last point is not tge restaurants fault but just put the tin hat on a very poor show. The girl on the till made the mistake of asking me if everything was ok, and I told her the truth, in no uncertain terms. We shall not be returning.

• Visited February 2013
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Best in Whitby”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Visit Whitby on a regular basis.always go to magpie.on our recent visit disappointed to see magpie closed for refurbishment.we knew we could go to Harley's.but thought we would try gravel eyes.and we weren't disappointed.the fish a
Was steak sized batter superb.chips the best I've tasted my wife felt the same.and at least a third cheaper than the magpie.also stunning sea views .

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank tce91
“Good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

A pleasant atmosphere awaits
Food is of a good standard and the service is friendly and efficient
Good value for money, worth a visit.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have previously enjoyed fish and chips overlooking the sea in this restaurant, which recently changed its name to the Fisherman's wife. Today the fish was very rubbery and overcooked. It wasn't busy in the restaurant but the meal seemed as though it had been sat for a while. Shame, as it's put us off going back there again.

• Visited January 2013