“A wonderful find”

Monks Haven Cafe
Ranked #22 of 215 Restaurants in Whitby
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: At Monks Haven Café you can sit, relax and watch the world pass by along historic Church Street through our bay windows while enjoying fine, freshly ground coffee or Yorkshire tea. We serve fresh Whitby crab sandwiches, fresh Whitby cod in a beer batter and a wide selection of desserts and treats from scones to lemon and ginger crunch. We are open 7 days a week and until late on Friday and Saturday evenings.
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I'm so glad the new owners allow dogs in now. This is a wonderful place to eat. It is spotlessly clean and the food is lovely. The hot pork pie and mushy peas is divine on a cold day. The owner and her staff who I think are her children are lovely and welcoming. We ate there three times and will return next time we are in whitby. Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

After sampling quite a few cafés and restaurants in Whitby, we decided to visit the newly refurbished Monk's cafe. We found the service to be good especially during the busy goth weekend but were bitterly disappointed in the afternoon tea. The sandwiches were basic, the scones were clearly shop bought and not particularly fresh and the cakes were also shop bought. Sitting surrounded by gorgeous home baked cakes we felt short changed! We won't be back, we'll be going back to Sherlocks on the other side of the river!

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a afternoon tea for two, a tea cake and crumpets between us (4). The food and drinks were lovely. However the staff were all very young and didn't seem to know what they were doing.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

After spending a lot of time looking for a suitable place to eat (I am vegetarian) we found this little gem. It looked busy but very welcoming. Managed to find last table but it was a bit draughty - staff immediately offered to close door for us.
I ordered an omelette and my friend fish & chips. Unfortunately I had failed to ask for the omelette well done (my own fault) and when it arrived it was a little runny. I asked if they could perhaps cook it a little longer. This they willingly agreed to do but unfortunately had some difficulty due to the fillings. The chef said he had had several attempts but staff kept coming back to advise me and apologise for delay. When it eventually arrived it was just right and very tasty. My friend's fish & chips were a large portion and nicely cooked.
When the bill arrived we were very pleasantly surprised and would certainly come back here again - the staff could not have been more helpful and definitely 'went the extra mile'.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

6 visited and a dog which was very welcome. Food excellent and a great price defo value for money. Waitress was lovely and on the ball. And the place in licenced so a cheeky wine at lunch even better. Highly recommended