“What a super surprise...”
Review of Number 4 Cafe Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Number 4 Cafe Bar & Restaurant
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Friendly, unpretentious, attentive service met us here after the sundown walk along the west cliff had proved an unexpected bonus - don't be put off by the location of the restaurant a little out of town. Glad we booked as the our table for four was the last not taken when we arrived and the place completely filled up soon after - popular and quite rightly so. I cannot fault the food - it really was outstanding value for money. Our seafood/salad starters were fresh, attractive and delicious - partly wish I had saved some of the appetiser breads to mop up some more of the lovely sauce my mussels came in but conceded I could perhaps manage a dessert instead. My main was a nicely cooked beef fillet which with it's accompaniments, creamy gratin and balsamic jus, was a tasty plate indeed. I was also attracted to the lamb shanks being eaten opposite and had a taste of the roasted squash it came with. Yum - just as good. Decadent portion of "eton mess" to finish. The Rioja and Cava we ordered was again excellent value. Great!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Had dinner here last week with our two children. Excellent fresh produce used, specials menu available. Very good value. The lady who owns the restaurant is extremely welcoming and efficient. The hand made rolls (three types on offer) were complimentary, as were the olives. An excellent evening all round. Welcoming to our two children even to the point of waving us off in the taxi! Will definitely return when next in the are. Would recommend the mussels.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Four of us visited this restaurant last week for a family birthday celebration. It was midweek but we booked a table to be on the safe side. We all had two courses, main and dessert, the food was delicious and the white wine we chose with help from the owner was excellent. We were made to feel very welcome and couldn't fault the evening in any way. We will definitely be back and are thrilled to have found Number 4!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My sister and I had one of the best lunches ever at this gem of a place only a short walk from Whitby's West Cliff.

Lovely complimentary home made bread;fantastic haddock and chips and a lovely lamb's liver on a black pudding mash.

All served by the friendly and attentive(I hope I'm getting the name right!) Maureen.

Highly recommended and many thanks.

Monica and Catharina.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Three of us had an excellent Sunday Lunch. Fresh food beautifully cooked and served in relaxed surroundings. Vegetarian option was a particular treat.
Hope to visit again very soon