All reviews full english friendly landlady parking permit before check in time freshly brewed coffee toast yogurt worked fine west cliff comfortable bed other guests one night stay nice room bank holiday many thanks short break lovely guesthouse
Selected filters
Reviewed August 6, 2019

I stayed here last week as a solo traveller in order to do some coastal walks. The welcome and the simplicity of checking in was superb...the location is fine for exploring Whitby. The room (number 3) was fine, very clean and had everything that I wanted...the breakfast in the morning was also very good (I like to keep things simple) although it would be lovely if every now and then a place went with tinned tomatoes rather than fresh....the front door lock was a little awkward when coming in at night and the TV tended to freeze from time to time... but overall I would definitely recommend the Esklet and it made for a lovely couple of days.... many thanks !!

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed July 28, 2019

This is a proper Guest House, great welcome great rooms, breakfast in a cosy room, tea bacon, eggs mushrooms the works. It is not a modern 5 star hotel with a lift or a porter and it makes it so much better. this is god value, clean great rooms, each with TV fridge, clean comfortable beds shower and en-suite - some with a bath. It is 5 mins walk to the cliffs and the sea and is easy to find. Turn right at the GEO Harrison garage on West Cliff and you are there just passed the royal mail depot. There is parking on the street that you get a disc for that allows you to park for free - but it is on street - and it is often crowded parking wise. There is no bar but there are several within 5 mins walk - go down Skinner street and there is several there and also lots of cafes and coffee shops. the owners are really friendly - and helpful and i think those who say otherwise are probably expecting 5 star hotels and heaven knows what - they both could not do enough for us. Very good value and really nice place to stay. We will come back without a doubt.

Room tip: All rooms are great
Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2019 via mobile

I booked this place for myself & my husband for a short break over May bank holiday through Expedia.
I really don’t understand why this place has got bad reviews. I think people expect too much for what they are paying. If you want a 5 star hotel then go pay 5 star prices.
The owners are lovely, very helpful, we had a couple of questions regarding parking & payment before we arrived & they were very helpful & efficient
We arrived before check in time but were given our parking permit & room key before time. Unfortunately because it was a busy bank holiday weekend & also Tour De Yorkshire we were unable to park outside the hotel but that wasn’t the hotels fault.
Our room was large, clean & had everything we needed for our stay. The only negative I could find was it was very stuffy & we had to open a window. Yes it’s a little dated but in fitting with the character of the house & reflected in the stay price.
Breakfast was lovely, fresh & of good quality and also plentiful with cereal, yoghurt, full English on offer. Thick cut bacon, good quality sausage & freshly brewed coffee.
We had no noise from other guests at night & the hotel is in a good location. Absolutely no complaints from us if you don’t like it go pay a higher price somewhere else.

Date of stay: May 2019
1  Thank Traveller61
Reviewed October 19, 2018 via mobile

Having stayed at the Esklet about 3 years ago we were very disappointed with our 2 night stay, we were allocated room 6 which is right in the eaves of the building.
The room was very small, only 4 hangers in the wardrobe and the shower room was tiny, so small that when I sat on the loo my knees were touching the wall, the toilet was one with a cistern above as you wouldn't get a modern toilet in the space, the flush was a string with a pot hand pull which was disgusting, the grout in the shower was discolored and there was a broken tile.
The sink was located in the bedroom and the mirror light above didn't work, the tv was smaller than my laptop and the bed was like rock.

Breakfast kept the substandard theme going, no fresh fruit and the full English consisted of one rasher of bacon one egg one sausage half a tomatoes, small pot of beans and a few mushrooms all served tepid.

We will not be going back.

Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

Having recently stayed at this guest house I can tell you it won't happen again, the owner is the most unwelcoming person I have ever met. On arrival after a 6hr journey he appeared very vacant. Had issues over a parking ticket down to a very bad explanation in our opinion when challenged him about the parking permit he became very offensive and said we should have read, the issue was put to rest the following morning he was over heard discussing it yet again and then came outside and again brought the subject up and I felt very intimidated by him and his wife we said we would be glad to go hr said good ridden very unprofessional and miserable

Date of stay: August 2018