“Great stay... great food”
Review of The Marine Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Whitby
The Marine Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

We booked room 1 for our stay with it's balcony overlooking the harbour and views of St Mary's church and the abbey.... fantastic.
Food was outstanding and staff were excellent, very freindly and nothing was too much trouble.
Can't wait to stay there again.
Karl and Jill

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Overlooking Whitby's busy port, this small hotel (4 rooms) over a Restaurant\Bar provided us with a fantastic base for our 4 day break.
Room 2 comprises a spacious, comfortable lounge, a small balcony overlooking the river, a bathroom with large shower and bedroom up a small set of stairs.
Don't bother with the TV, the view over the bustling port across to the Abbey always provides some interest - in all weathers!
The breakfast menu provides plenty of choice and the food is good.
My only criticism is the lack of Tea\Coffee making facilities in the room. Tea and Coffee are provided (free) by a call to room service, following which your drinks unfailingly arrive within a couple of minutes, brought by a member of the polite and cheerful staff. However, this service is only available between 08.00 and 22.00. So if you like to rise early (not me) or come in late (more like me) and would like refreshment - tough.
Surely the provision of facilities in the room would aid residents and staff alike. I would gladly accept those little pots of milk substitute if it meant I could drink Tea when I wanted.
That said, I could not possibly claim it spoilt our stay - I would definitely use this Hotel again.

Room Tip: Room 2 overlooks the Abbey and River - the best view in Whitby!
2  Thank paxton_warrior
Reviewed May 27, 2014

The pictures on the hotel website and internet are accurate, and with this level of information the hotel quality still manages to deliver.

Solid attention to details. I like it that there is no fluff. What you see is what you get.

The hotel is under staff clearly but everyone strives to deliver. The restaurant gives you the rare urge that you want to make sure the tips go to the staff which is refreshing.

The reception staff can do with speaking in a normal tone not raising the voice but I am not taking it personally as I gather that is the level of volume she uses when she speaks to her own family and everyone else on earth.

1  Thank Dai Y
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed at marine hotel room 3 bank holiday weekend in May first impressions was high on the first night noticed the Windows would,nt open only one bedside light worked and there was,not enough light for the size of the room we was woken up both mornings with the floorboards from room 4 at 5.30am both mornings the hotels Windows are single glazed so you can hear all noises we ate in the hotel which was excellent the only down size is they aloud a large group to just drink in the small bar which spoilt the atmosphere we did receive a bottle of wine free over all I would stay here again but not in room 3

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dazbol
Reviewed May 18, 2014

This hotel was idiosyncratic but in a very thoughtful way. The decor was an odd mixture, but tastefully done and harmonious in the end. The rooms were spacious. And the breakfast offered a terrific choice that went well beyond the standard English breakfast, though that was available too. We also ate dinner in the restaurant one evening and had one of the better dinners of our trip. The hotel is very well situated for exploring Whitby and its environs. The only downside was non-functioning wireless internet on the first night, but that was sorted out by the next day and they directed us to their sister hotel, the Moon and Sixpence, just a few doors down the street where it worked just fine. (i'd also recommend the Moon and Sixpence cocktail happy hour - 4-6pm).

2  Thank point-breezer
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My partner had wanted to go to the Marine for some time and I booked as a surprise for his birthday. We stayed the night of the 5th May and it was nothing less than fantastic. The staff were friendly and polite and couldn't do enough for us. We stayed in room 2 and it was lovely, we loved the bedroom upstairs,the bed has to be the most comfortable I have slept in....we decided to dine in that night and the food was first rate, squid and aubergine starters and, to follow, steak for him, halloumi for me and everything was absolutely gorgeous. Breakfast this morning was as good - and what a choice - must be the most extensive breakfast menu I've seen ...we chose kippers and eggs Florentine, again cooked to perfection and lovely. We will definitely be going back to the Marine ....must also give a special mention to Lee as he is great

1  Thank jan n
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My wife and I have always wanted to visit Whitby. I booked into the Marine Hotel for 2 nights. It was superb, the staff all attentive and had plenty of time for us. The food was also great. Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough

Room Tip: Room 1 was superb
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family