“Discover Discovery - it IS worth it!”

Discovery Accomodation
Ranked #89 of 152 Whitby B&B and Inns
Northampton
“Discover Discovery - it IS worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

From reading some of the other reviews, you could be forgiven for thinking you were heading directly into Fawlty Towers, but nothing could be further from the truth! I suppose it may be the luck of the draw depending on which accommodation you get but we booked a 2-room apartment and that's exactly what we got - only it was so much nicer than we could have wished for. We stayed in Starfish 2 - a beautiful, modern apartment with all the facilities you could wish for. We had a full kitchen with cooker, microwave, kettle, toaster and loads of utensils - no dishwasher, but hey, you can't have everything!. The lounge area was lovely with a sofa, two chairs, a glass table and a funky freestanding remote control heater! For inhouse entertainment, we had freeview widescreen TV, a DVD player, CD player, a few books and lots of useful area information. There were two good size bedrooms (one double, one twin) with very comfortable beds, wardrobes and a small dresser; and finally a beautifully appointed bathroom with excellent shower. The location was superb - minutes to sea front and shops and opposite a very nice chippy! Parking, which I can see could be a problem in Whitby with the narrow streets and restrictions, was swiftly dealt with as we booked a space via front desk just up the road and then did what any sensible visitor to the town should do: we left the car there and explored everywhere on foot! Would happily recommend Starfish 2 and would certainly stay here again

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Milliemollymanda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

After Reading the reviews i was a little worried how the stay would be but i was pleasantly suppressed.

We pulled up outside the offices and asked if we could check in early and were told the room wasn't ready yet so we asked about parking and he advised it was £3.00 a night (supposed to be booked though) or on the back streets away from the shops it is un restricted parking ( free of charge no matter how long you are parked there) we left our luggage and parked up and had a walk around Whitby. When we returned the man gave us our key and gave directions for the apartment!

Please note the streets are very narrow but there were plenty of parking spaces with it not being too busy this time of year.

We were in Discovery Number 7. We had a wonderful view of the Abbey and the sea! I could not have asked for a better view for the price we paid! The apartment had a self catering kitchen with fridge, kettle, toaster, microwave and all pots and pans and recycling bins etc The Bathroom was good - Clean and tidy with nice towels bath only - no shower.

Living room Had an electric fire which heated the room up fast, settee and 2 chairs, Bookshelf with some books, TV, DVD, Free sat ( I think) Cd Player, An information book PACKED with info and stuff to do, takeaways etc,

Bedroom was a moderately comfy double bed with wardrobes and shelf’s etc. And a Kids room with 2 single beds. All decorated nice had a new feel to it like its only just been done up. Heaters around the place located in each room.

It is located right in the centre of Whitby on Silver Street and within 30 seconds you’re in the shops and within a minute your looking at the sea! FANTASTIC LOCATION!!!!
There are pubs around the place no more than a few mins away!

Good Price £55.00 for 1 night including breakfast for 2 - Booked through a third party.

Breakfast was good - although the sausages and bacon were only lightly done but it tasted lovely.

Will definitely go again and recommend to family and friends

I think number 7 was one of the smaller apartments so may go for longer next time and try another or a cottage.

Did not see or try the leisure facilities so cannot comment on those.

The bloke on reception was a lovely man - Really Friendly

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

Having read other reviews of this accomidation I am so suprised at others reviews I felt compelled to write my own.
I booked 2 cottages in 2009 for my wedding...
The 1st apartment was a large 4 bedroom apartment for my Parents,Siblings, Autie, Cousins and their children. The apartment was huge...4 huge bedrooms, 2 big bathrooms with shower in one room and a big bath in the other. Ample amounts of big fluffy eco friendly bamboo fiber towels. Bedrooms were airy and light with easy to control heating, soft beds and
This apartment had a disbled lift and ramps into doorways, my aunt is disabled and we thought we were going to struggle to give her a good holiday... No struggle in Discovery.
Parking was was east to find and very resonable.
And the owners were nothing but polite, helpful and friendly to us, in fact we're staying there again this year!

My own apartment which I took for my honeymoon was huge, had very comfortable and modern furnishing, was warm and cosy and the only fault I could find was it had a bath instead of a shower... top notch accomidation.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

We had booked directly with Discovery and chosen the cottage with the roll top bath. On the day of arrival we tried to call numerous times to ask about parking and couldn't get through. We then went to the office to find nobody there; the door was locked and lots of junk lying around.
When we returned at 3 to check in we were told where to park and given our key. However, the key was for one of the flats, not the cottage I had requested. I went back to the office to tell him about the mix- up and he then preceeded to confess that he'd messed up and booked another customer into the same room. Allegedly this man was arriving at midnight and he'd already given him directions to get into the cottage. When I asked if he could ring the other man as I had booked it first (by his own admission) he claimed to have already tried. I didn't believe him but there wasn't much I could do. Why didn't he leave a note for the other customer and why had he not admitted his mistake when we checked in, instead of hoping we wouldn't notice? After saying how disappointed I was he offered me a bottle of wine- little compensation when I had specifically booked that room because of the romantic bathroom.
I returned to the room to take a bath and found the "hot" water was lukewarm. I went back down to tell him and he's response was "oh yeah, I just thought it wasn't that hot when I was doing the washing up" However, he didnt claim to have done anything about it until I pressed the issue, when he told me to give it 45mins to warm up. I think he was just trying to buy time as in 45mins it was still cold but he had left for the day. We had to fill the bath with kettles of hot water, not what I expect from 4* accommadation. It didnt get hot at all that night and in the morning it was warm enough to run a bath but not warm enough to stay in very long. Still a huge improvement on the night before.
To add insult to injury, when we went out at 7pm, we saw the other customer already settled into our cosy cottage, so the spin about him arriving at midnight was total bull.
The owner needs to learn about hospitality, first rule- don't lie! It just makes him look stupid. In addition to his badly disguised fibs, whenever I went into the office there was clutter everywhere and he was doing jobs ranging from dishes to DIY- not very professional and a little bit Basil Fawlty.
When we checked in we asked about the pool, which is advertised as the main draw of this place. We were told it was too cold to swim in. I was very disappointed that the website did not mention this and we weren't told about it when booking. I believe that's called false advertising. Overall, a big disappointment.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Froufrouchica

Travelers are raving about these Whitby hotels

Doncaster
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2010

Website does not reflect the room that was given to us, we stayed in Cockleshell Cabin. Felt like it was student accommodation, not four star as advertised. Room was split level, which is good as this gives more space but was very tired and grubby. Husband had to remove the hair from shower drain to avoid flooding bathroom - nice!!! Room not cleaned, towels very tatty and worn ......... others have accurately paired this place with Faulty Towers. Don't bother trying the sauna or the swimming pool; sauna not hot and pool dirty - again not like shown on the web.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank DATLE
Bradford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

Booked this through laterooms and arrived the same day do so got a bargain night around £50 for two including breakfast. On arrival the manager explained they were having a lot of alterations done although it didn't become apparent to us or affect our stay, maybe he was just explaining he was busy. I can understand why some people think he's a bit unfriendly when we arrived he took us down the road to the accomodation and pointed at it leaving us to make our own way in, there were 3 flats can't remember which one we stayed in but I thought he could have actually shown us into our rooms to make sure everything was satisfactory. The flat itself had a master room and another with bunk beds so plenty of space and it looked very modern with a decent kitchen and very nice bathroom, We had breakfast in the reception area which the lady served us fairly quickly and it was pretty good. They had a wood burning stove going which was cosy in December. Overall I would go again at this price you can't beat it but i would expect better service if i had paid full whack.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2009

was slightly worried at some reviews - not a hotel as you know it but we were given room 3 which had everything you needed and was decorated light and modern wth some homely touches very warm and comfortable and to the person who said the breakfast was mean gosh I could eat no more!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple