“Loved it!”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed at the hotel in May 16-19 th accompanied with 2 other persons, they in a large room with 2 single beds and myself in a smaller room with 1 single bed. The rooms were clean, well appointed with desk, closet and easy chair, new t.v.

Bathroom was clean, hair dryer provided.

Meals were excellent, with sufficient quantity, and nicely presented and served in a bright pleasant surrounding.

Wi-fi available but not in the rooms, but it is no hardship to sit in the comfortable reception area were it is available.

I waited 20 years to visit Whitby, the hotel to me was not my focus on visiting Whitby, but as it turned out, it was the cherry on top! I thoroughly enjoyed everything. When I return (for a longer stay hopefully) I will stay at the Bay Royal Whitby Hotel.

Room Tip: I did stay in an upgraded room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alison P
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

We love to receive 5* reviews so thank you. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed everything our newly refurbished rooms have to offer. I will pass your comments onto all the team and we look forward to welcoming you back (for a longer stay) in the future.

Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

We are staying at this hotel and have another night here and wish we didn't!!! Room is rubbish, not clean!!! Shabby, tea stains up wall, tape on windows that you can't open!!! Food is awful!!! All out of tins,tasteless, we left breakfast, full of grease!!! We came here as been to shearings before and was brill!!! But this place is a let down to there name, this is a 40th birthday celebration which has been marred by this!!!

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank julief74

I’m sorry to see you were disappointed with your short break. I think I have identified your room number by your username and whilst I appreciate it is one of our older rooms, to call it unclean is unfair. I’m surprised by your comments regarding the food as after being on duty myself both Friday night and Saturday morning and speaking with a number of guests (and eating here myself) I heard no other complaints of this nature. I would have appreciated the opportunity to discuss your comments in person, especially as it would appear your review was written whilst still at the hotel.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

We have spent the last four nights in this hotel, on a Shearing's coach trip. The check-in was fast and efficient and bags delivered to rooms as quickly as possible. The hotel is, as with a lot of Shearing's Bay hotels, a little tired and need of a bit of TLC, but they can't do everything at once and, as usual, you gets what you pays for - good value for the prce charged. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. A special thanks goes to our Lithuanian waiter, Eugene - a lovely man. Also Steve Conroy, who entertains most evenings, is fun and good at his job (thanks for playing all my last minute requests Thursday late night, Steve!). The food is good and, yippee, of a reasonable temperature! Would recommend paying for a sea view, if you can afford it and, unless you are hard of hearing, maybe a good idea not to have one above the ballroom, if you aren't planning to join in the entertainment. The hotel is in a good, high, position above the town and harbour of Whitby (could be a problem for those with walking abilities, although there is a guide bus, which stops actually at the hotel, at very regular intervals, via which you can easily get into town and it's very reasonably priced at £4 for seniors!). I did hear a few grumbles that the drinks could be a little more moderately priced. All in all a very good break in a very pleasant hotel. I shall certainly return.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EtoileSanderstead
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to share your review. Your heading is exactly what we aim to be. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us and had no complaints. I will pass your comments onto all of the team and especially to Eugene, he has been with us for many years now and is a valued member of the team. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We have just returned from the Royal Hotel, the staff are all wonderful, can't do enough to make you comfortable. The room (we paid for a sea view) was a refurbished, and although the bathroom could have done with re-grouting everything else was fine. The passage ways were in need of a coat of paint although the carpets appeared newish.
The meals appeared smallish quantities but as there was 3 courses they were perfectly adequate (even for my husband). The location is great, wonderful views and the hop on hop off bus stops outside, which was great for tour of Whitby and going up and down to harbour £4 for 24 hrs. Beware of the parking if you are Self Drive as we were, we were told there was no need to book parking, there was, my husband had to park miles away on the 1st day as everywhere was full up. We did manage to pay for a bay at the hotel on the 2nd day, well worth the £5. As usual I can highly recommend Shearing Holidays for value and service. Entertainment very good. We had a leaflet in our room which said if you booked your next break with reception or within 7 days of return you would recieve a discount of 15% for self drive and 20% for coach holidays. I have booked 7 days in Torquay at the end of June and got £48 per person discount. I am looking forward to the next holiday. Thank You Shearings,

Room Tip: Sorry, no fitness centre or pool.Pay for sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank patsy22Newcastle

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am very lucky to have a great team here and I will be sure to pass your comments to all. We have a continual plan of refurbishment going on and I’m pleased you spotted some of the improvements. We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Although an older hotel the location is first class. It overlooks the bay at Whitby and across to the Abbey on the other side.

Staff were friendly and the meals were excellent. You could leave your car for the stay and walk to all the sights in Whitby.

Entertainment was lacking though but there was plenty in the town. I would recommend the boat trip for just 20 minutes around the bay and cost just £3 !!. This was the replica of Cooks boat and again a friendly crew.

There is plenty to do for at least 3 days (We had good weather though!)

Would certainly go again.

Room Tip: Don't worry if you get a room in the rear as there is plenty of seating in reception etc where y...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

5* reviews are always a pleasure to receive, so thank you. I’m pleased to see we ticked the boxes throughout your experience and will pass your comments on to the team. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Have just returned from a short break in Whitby stayed at the Royal hotel, was disgusted with our standard room which was stated as charming and have everything you would expect! well did not expect ripped bedspread, stained walls and carpet. The window could not be opened due to wood been screwed to frame, television was out of the ark. Went to see if could upgrade our room, only had a premier room left which cost us extra £50 pound. This room was excellent could not have asked for more. Would go back but only in a premier room. The staff are very friendly and the food was ok and the carpark was worth paying £5.00 a day for .

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank John K

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I’m sorry to see you were disappointed with your original room and I will look into the points raised. I will pass your comments onto the team and we hope you would consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

A lovely location, and because of this we have stayed at this hotel numerous times, and will do so again. Our room was a very spacious Superior, with sea view. And well worth the upgrade. Staff are all very efficient and courteous, and cannot be faulted. The hotel itself however is in desperate need of a re-furbish, although obvious steps have been taken to address this, in the reception and bar areas. But the overall feel is faded and shabby. BUT, we definitely will stop here again, for the prime location and friendly staff. It's just the decor that lets it down... And that's a shame.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I’m please to see you enjoyed your stay and I will pass your comments to the team. Our superior rooms continue to be very popular. We have an extensive refurbishment program in place which is ongoing with bedrooms and public areas and it is nice to see this noticed. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal in the near future.