Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Toprooms.com
$163
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,149 results
All reviewsself drivesea viewsmall liftshearings hotelsevening entertainmentshearings coach holidaycoach drivernational holidayspremier roomhalf boardrefurbished roomlovely old hotelbar pricesbit datedplenty of choicesingle roomgreat position
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We recently stayed at the Royal Hotel Whitby with a Monday to Friday Shearing’s tour. Our room on the first floor, was very pleasant with a lovely view of the sea through the almost floor to ceiling height windows. Both the room and bathroom were very clean and well equipped although obviously not recently refurbished – the beds and bedding in particular being rather in need of updating. Service in the restaurant was excellent – our waiter Gabor was very friendly and helpful (and had a great sense of humour too). Food was very good, always hot and plenty to choose from. Reception staff were also very approachable and helpful. Entertainment was good – dancing, bingo & a quiz with visiting cabaret on 3 nights. The ballroom/entertainment room has been re-decorated and, although I personally don’t think grey would have been my first choice of paint colour, now looks much improved and the new chairs are very nice. I found the ‘virtual’ bingo caller a little off-putting but that’s just my personal opinion. One of the visiting acts was Steve – a musician/comic – who was an excellent host plus cabaret act for one evening. We also enjoyed the ‘Yorkshire Comic’ Joey on our last night in the Hotel.
The hotel is situated on the cliff top and has superb views over the town, the Abbey and the harbour. Both Local and sightseeing buses stop right outside the Hotel. Whitby is a lovely town to visit with lots to see and do.
On our last night there was quite a storm with high winds and, due to the large windows and the high ceilings in our room, the room was rather cold that night. However, this and also the rather small lift, is something that is simply due to the age of the building. The Hotel building is quite historic and really rather lovely although showing some signs of wear and tear. The games room for example has pillars and evokes thoughts of days gone by.
All in all, I would say this holiday was very good value for money – we enjoyed trips out to Helmsley, Pickering, Thornton-le-Dale & Scarborough as well as Whitby itself – and I can recommend the Hotel.
We have visited The Royal before and will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Seasidedancer
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review. It’s always great to see guests who stay with us time and again continuing to enjoy their break. Refurbishment as you mention is an on-going project with a number of bedrooms and the ballroom being completed so far this year with more planned for later. I’ll be sure to pass your lovely comments on to the team especially Gabor, Steve and Joey they’ll be delighted. I’m pleased to see you found your break to be good value and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Can't wait till I come back in August for the regatta . Great hotel , and good value for money . Rooms nice and clean , lovely restaurant and the royal bar has good view of the abbey and harbor . Lovely wee fishing town with plenty attractions . Worth seeing. , Whitby regatta and folk festival .

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank davieham

Many thanks for your glowing review. Comments like yours are always well received. I will pass them onto all the team and we look forward to seeing you in August.

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Bay Royal hotel 4 times in 15 months.

I usually travel with Shearings and my mum comes along. However I love the place and I decided to return there on my own via train from Liverpool Lime Street.

The single rooms are of a high standard but when I phoned up to book it they had none left so I decided to book a superior sea view room. Just great in every way, very clean, comfortable bed, great views and plenty of hot water.

The food is outstanding and the staff are very hard working and pleasant.

The weekend went too quick for me and I hated leaving the place.

My thanks to receptionists Louise, Jamie and Wanda for making me feel welcome.

My thanks to all the staff, ill see you soon.

Kind Regards - John

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank JohnD1986
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Hi John, I’m sorry I missed you last week. It’s great to see you enjoyed your stay once again. Our sea view rooms are certainly worth the extra cost. I’ll pass all your comments on to the team and we all look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Vicki and the team.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here with our friends on a Shearings midweek trip. We had refurbished rooms which were better than expected. Nice comfortable beds and plenty of tea coffee and bottled water in the room. Nice food in the restaurant and good breakfasts. We spent every night in the entertainment lounge and always had a good night. Very good hard working staff especially in the restaurant The hotel is in a lovely position overlooking the sea and the bus stops right outside. Whitby is a lovely place to visit and we will go back and will probably stay at the Royal. Only complaint is the lift which as very small and only just fits 4 people at a time so spent a lot of time waiting for it.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and that your rooms exceeded your expectations. I will pass your comments regarding the food and entertainment on to all concerned. I am very lucky to have a great team here at the hotel. We are in a fantastic location making it an ideal base to take in all the town has to offer.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

in243. Friday 17 may 2013 till Sunday. A good clean hotel , staff helpfull, food good. The sea view first class. The room was clean and comfortable the decor dated .stayed for a weekend break.been going to whitby for over 40year,first time at the Royle but not the Last. My wife and i found the price not expensive and good value for the money. Stephen and Margare Honeyman.

Room Tip: Smile when you enter the Hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

I appreciate you sharing your review. I’m glad to see you enjoyed your stay and that we ticked all the boxes with regards to the food and comfort in the hotel. We aim to offer value for money breaks and I’m pleased to see that was the case in your experience.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.