“Beautiful Whitby” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
mossley
“Beautiful Whitby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

We have just had a lovely weekend break at the Royal, on a trip with National Hols. Everyone who we dealt with was friendly and helpful. our room was clean and large with a good sized bathroom. The food was good, but I would have liked at little more choice at dinner. We will certainly come again.

Room Tip: You can choose a room with a sea view, but this costs extra. We didn't bother as we don't sp...
1 Thank julschof
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
I'm pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Royal. Your comments regarding the staff are great to see. It would seem we ticked all the boxes with regards to accommodation and food.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Vicki Glen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had a five day Turkey and Tinsel break here with Shearings. The Turkey and Tinsel was a misnomer because there was very little festive spirit evident. The entertainment was very basic but the music was played too loud for my taste. Food was basic, nothing to shout about just common cafe fare. Service was quick and friendly.

We paid extra for a sea view room and it was large, clean and had an excellent view over the harbour. The matresses, however, were lumpy and worn out. The weather was at times foul and windy and the wind came in through the gaps in the frames of the single glazed windows. We found it was too cold for comfort in our room and some of the common rooms. The central heating and windows badly need upgrading.

We did not pay a lot so it has to be said it was definitely value for money. The staff were very good but I noticed that one of the managers talked down to her customers and so could do with a spot of retraining. You shouldn't work in hospitality if you don't like people.

Barrow in Furness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I've just spent a weekend with my wife as part of a group of friends with Shearings and would recommend it to anybody. It's a decent hotel, basic but clean which is in need of a makeover but for the price we paid, we expected this. The dining room staff were always smiling, especially Ferenc our waiter who looked after us well. With it's location just above the town, it had stunning views which more than made up for anything else. I will go back to this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. Ferenc will be delighted to see your comments as will all the other staff. As I am sure you will have noticed during your recent stay we are currently updating a number of our rooms with further refurbishments planned for early in the New Year. As you have mentioned and many others before you, we are very lucky to enjoy the fantastic views that we do.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Having booked with Shearings and got an excellent deal for the stay, the hotel is definately worth the money I paid. The food was lovely, the staff and service they provided was excellent! All 27 of us enjoyed our stay, many thanks!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post review. I'm pleased to see you rated your stay so highly and that you and your party all enjoyed yourselves. I'll be sure to pass your comments onto all staff concerned.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the New Year.

Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have just stayed 2 nights B&B at The Royal Whitby. We stayed in a standard room on the 3rd floor. The views were amazing across the harbour, the town and out to sea, and the room was exactly what we wanted - warm, fresh and comfortable. I do not understand some of the (to us unfair) negative comments on this site - honestly what do people expect ! The staff were very friendly and helpful, the hotel very clean and the breakfast was very good - more so given the price we paid. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Hugh P
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Many thanks for your lovely review. It’s always rewarding to receive such lovely comments. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and were comfortable in your room. The views as you say are amazing. The team were delighted to receive their praise – they all work incredibly hard. It’s great to see you would recommend the hotel so highly and we hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

We have been to the Bay Royal many times - most recently 2 weeks ago...........
For anyone who wants to visit wonderful Whitby then you would be hard pushed to beat the position of the Bay Royal. It stands in a great position that had the most fanatastic views of Whitby. Overlook that this lovely old hotel needs some tlc and take on board the bargain you are getting for your money - bed, breakfast, evening meal, entertainment (even if it isn't to your taste - it is there) and just go out and enjoy Whitby. The staff in the hotel are very friendly and the restaurant manageress is very efficient. A special mention to 'Geoff' our coach driver who was not only very friendly but also knowledgeable. He lelped everyone on and off the coach and just made our holiday more enjoyable with his lovely attitude - if you read this at the hotel please pass on our thanks to Geoff.
In December a visit to St Marys church (up the 199 steps) is a must as it is such a lovely old church and they have a great Christmas tree festival. Get a cab there from the hotel (around £5) and then just take a slow stroll down the steps and around the quirky streets.
Visit the little jet museum which is just around the corner at the bottom of the 199 steps - well worth a visit - free to go in - and if you don't know it is there very easy to miss.
Get on one of the boat rides that take you on a 30 minute ride out into the bay and see Whitby from the sea - these are a bargain as they only charge about £3 a person. You really will have a fab view from the sea and even for me who tends to get a bit queasy at sea - this is not a choppy ride at all and you will be fine.
For Heartbeat fans you will see loads of places that you will recognise from the series and if you get on a bus at the station it is only about a 25 minute ride away to Goathland (Aidensfield) and it looks exactly as it did on TV.
I don't think we will ever get fed-up with visiting Whitby as everytime you go there seems to be something else to see.
**Pay the supplement for a sea view and ask for 1st or 2nd floor.

Room Tip: First floor have floor to ceiling windows so the views are the best.......... There are 2 sides - A...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank loopyloo123
Thank you for your review – it’s always great to see our returning guests. As you say we are in a fantastic location enjoying some of the best views of the town and the main town itself just a 5 minute walk away to enjoy all Whitby has to offer. Geoff is a very helpful driver who has been with us again this week – I’ll be sure to pass your comments onto him when I see him next.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

we went with shearings and I have sent a letter of complaint to them as I agree with another reviewer who wrote that shearings should be ashamed to let people stay in the room we were offered. we were given the keys to 325, we opened the door and were not impressed with the smell, opened another door to the bedroom, no view,brick wall,window held with tissue,floor boards creaking everywhere,bed squeaked,mouldy wardrobe,wallpaper patched up,exposed wires in bathroom,rusty shower rail, dirty shower screen,dirty toilet,cracked sink. Went straight to reception to be told they had no other rooms apart from the upgrades,I was not prepared to stay in 325 and would have been uncomfortable and depressed sleeping in there,I paid £148 extra for my husband and I to stay in 142,this was a 5 day,four nights break,I ended up paying £606 for this stay,142 looked lovely and had a great view,the shower however was nicknamed dribble and when we asked for extra heat in our room we discovered after ten minutes of waiting for them to get warmer that they were actually turned off,husband turned them on,didn't make much difference though,I woke up several times in the night due to being so cold,I had to send food back twice,the beef was so dry and the pate would have been rejected by my cat. since when is a pavlova a shop bought meringue nest with chopped apple,a piece of orange and kiwi and a bit of squirty cream? I hope to get some compensation from shearings, I just wish more people would complain,why is it the British people seem so reluctant to make a fuss,if nobody says anything,nothing gets done.

Room Tip: stay away from 325.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank jean h
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
I’m sorry to see you were clearly disappointed during your stay with us. Room 325 is indeed to the back of the hotel with little view which has been re-decorated etc within the past 18 months. Our rooms are checked prior to arrival by our housekeeper and whilst I can appreciate that some of our rooms are in need of a little updating (a project which we are fully committed to) I am somewhat surprised to see your comments on the cleanliness of the room. Room 142, one of our superior rooms is very popular amongst our guests. I will look into your comments on the shower and have this rectified. The heating is controlled centrally within the building with the guests able to adjust the temperatures in their rooms to their own preference – additional heating however is always available from reception if required. I’m sorry to see the food was not to your taste, our menus are planned using a mix of home-made and pre-prepared food and all items are as described on the menus, however I will investigate the comments with regard to the beef as this certainly shouldn’t have been the case.
Again I am sorry to see the hotel did not live up to your expectations and hope it will not deter you from staying in another Bay hotel in the future.
Vicki Glen

Travelers are raving about these Whitby hotels