“Great Stay”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Booked three days at this hotel. Had an absolutely lovely time. Good price with a very tasty breakfast. Room was clean and warm although the decor was a little tired. Really helpful and friendly staff who couldn't do enough for us. Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: We asked for a sea view when booking.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank matt b
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely review. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your break to be good value for money. I’m sure you will have noticed during your stay that we are in the process of re-furbishing a number of rooms. I’ll pass your comments onto all of the team.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
Vicki Glen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a Shearings coach holiday with my local Ramblers group.

My single room was a decent size.with plenty of storage space, plenty of tea/coffe/milk and a powerful hairdryer. The bedroom was in need of refurbishment but clean and comfortable with daily maidservice. The walls were quite thin - a couple of nights I was kept awake by loud snoring in the next room

The bathroom was quite modern and plenty of hot water except one evening when there wasnt enough hot water for a shower and some of the party i was travelling with said they had this problem a few times. I advise to have a shower/bath at off-peak times.

The food was good but unremarkable and the portions were not huge but were sufficient. Meals are at set times with the rest of your coach party and as there are not enough staff serving you need to allow plenty of time for each meal. The few staff who were serving worked very hard and were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel caters mainly for the older end of the market so the evening entertainment wasn't to my taste : Bingo followed by a quiz followed by a mediocre singer or comedian. Most nights we visited some of the excellent pubs in town instead. At 11.00 the entertainment livens up with a disco until midnight. We enjoyed this on the first night but then found that the same music was played in the same order every night.

The hotel is in an excellent location with great views and the shops and pubs are a 5 minute walk, though a lot of it is fairly steep up or downhill so not suitable for the infirm.

Whitby is a lovely place with a large sandy beach, pretty harbour and lots of quaint old buildings. Well worth a visit.

Overall I'd say The Royal Hotel is uninspiring but good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for posting your review. I’m pleased to see you were satisfied with the cleanliness of your room and we are having a number of our single rooms refurbished in the run up to Christmas. I appreciate your comments with regard to the hot water – generally the system keeps up very well with demand but as you say at peak times there is a very high demand on this. The restaurant team work very hard to ensure a smooth service with an hour and a quarter open sitting. I’ll be sure to pass your comments onto the staff. The entertainment is planned with a view to offering something for everyone and Bingo continues to be extremely popular amongst many of our guests. We are in a great location as you point out with many pubs and things to do within easy reach.
We hope to welcome you and your group back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just returned from a very wet and windy Whitby, all in all we had a good time.The room was spotlessly clean and the ensuite, we had 3 singles and all of the same standard of cleanliness, the decor may be a bit dated but they don't have millions to invest , only updating and new made over rooms, but cleanliness not an issue for us. Plenty of choice at mealtimes, fast and efficient service from the staff and served with a smile. also well heated, but extra blankets were in the wardrobe if required.We enjoyed the entertainment each evening as well.

Room Tip: Would suggest a sea view room, stunning whether rainy or sunny, only a sea fret would put you off...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Thank you for your lovely review I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Whitby Hotel. I will pass on your comments to all of the staff; they will be delighted to hear that their efforts are appreciated. I agree the view is beautiful in most weather conditions and would defiantly recommend booking a sea view or even upgrading to one of our Superior or Premier View rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

My Husband and i stayed here for the second time as we found it value for money. We had a lovely room overlooking the abbey lovely big bathroom which was great. The building is stunning old and Victorian which we like. The meals were lovely especially the salads, the service was quick and efficient.The location great near to the centre of Whitby, we will be back soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for returning to the Royal Hotel Whitby, so please you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff were very happy to hear your comments especially in the kitchen and restaurant. The location could not be much better especially for the views and we are only 5 minutes walk from the town. We are all looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We visited th hotel 14-17th September. The wall in our room was damp and the paint was falling from the ceiling, a light bulb was missing and we couldn't turn the hot water tap off. We reported these problems twice during our stay but nothing was done. On departure I asked to see the manager who I was told was unavailable. On returning home I wrote to the Manager about the above plus other issues but didn't receive a reply. On the 8th October I wrote to Bay hotels, Wigan. Some three weeks later I received an acknowledgement card. I waited. On the 9th November I wrote again and asked for a reply by 23th Nov. Today 24th November I received a reply plus vouchers. Customer care appears to be way down the list of priorities for Bay Hotels. With this in mind we have decided we shall not be using Bay Hotels again and I have returned the vouchers.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sue H

I apologise for the problems you encountered during your visit. If I was unavailable during your stay there is always a Duty Manager available who would have gladly discussed the problems you were experiencing. I have checked with maintenance and the records which assure me that the bulb and tap was rectified during your stay however the wall issue would have taken longer. Any letters that we receive here at the hotel are forwarded onto our central customer care department and I apologise for any delay in a response being provided.
I hope your disappointment will not deter you from staying in another Bay hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I booked for 3 nights over the Goth weekend, Nov 12. I suppose i should have known for £50 a night what i was going to get really. There are hundreds of B&B's in Whitby that would provide far better for potentially the same price. I had a sea view room overlooking the whalebone/abbey. The view was superb but this was the only saving grace. The room was beyond shabby, single bed with a serious sag in the middle, and the fixtures and fittings were right out of the 80s. Has this hotel not been refurbished on 20 years? it is a beauitful building but has seen better days sadly. The bathroom was filthy, did not feel hygenic at all (brown marks on toliet roll dispenser anyone?), and thr shower was barely warm. We tried dinner on the first night, and well, to call it edible food would have been an overstatement. Im sorry but it really was that bad. Someone above has described the standard of food as '70s school dinners', i would say that would be an insult to school dinners. I don't know how they are not ashamed to be serving this utter rubbish. I do suspect they are microwave meals straight out of packets to be honest. Its at that level. But, again for £50 a night with HB one can afford to skip the meal and go get decent fish and chips somewhere. Alsomyou have to eat at strict times, on a set table, the restaurant manager seemed very annoyed with us when we wanted to change tables to be with friends. The whole place has the feel of a 1950' regimented holiday camp anout it. I didnt try the breakfast as by the first morning there after a terrible night on said bed, i felt decidedly ill. I wont blame this on the hotel as i had a bad cold the week before and it re-occured, but not having had any food (it was so bad i didnt eat it) the night before didnt help. I was so miserable there that what with feeling ill i just wanted to be at home. So i went home. A friend took the room from me for 2 nights (i wouldnt let him pay me, itnwasnt worth it), so it wasnt wasted. But seriously people, you'd be better off in a youth hostel. Get your act together Shearings, how dare you offer this shoddy level of hotel in the 21st century.

Room Tip: Apparently some of them are refurbished? i didnt know this!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Ruth A

I was surprised to receive your comments. We are always extremely busy at Goth weekends with a high number of returning guests who want a comfortable, good value for money base to enjoy all that the town has to offer during these events. Whilst I appreciate that there are still some rooms in need of refurbishment (a project which we are fully committed to) our housekeeping team work very hard to ensure high standards of cleanliness throughout. All of our dishes are prepared in house using a variety of fresh and frozen food to offer consistency throughout the year and value for money. I’m sorry to see this was not the case in your experience. We offer an hour and a quarter open service for both breakfast and dinner and as I am sure you will appreciate to allow us to do this we have to allocate tables for dining. Marion (our restaurant manager) is always incredibly helpful when dealing with guests requests and will go out of her way to ensure they can be fulfilled which can be very difficult in the middle of service.
I would have appreciated the opportunity to discuss your thoughts prior to your leaving the hotel but we were unaware you had in fact departed early. Again, I’m sorry you were disappointed during your stay.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just spent 3 nights at the Royal and our group all had a good time. Food was good, not a la carte but good for what we paid, served by friendly staff. We had a large room overlooking the abbey, bathroom could do with updating but it was perfectly clean and comfortable. Entertainment every night which was good - the women in our group certainly enjoyed the take that tribute on the Saturday.
Our party of 8 had a pleasant weekend and will hopefully be back next year.

Room Tip: Sme of our friends were in rooms to the back of the hotel, choose a view room if you can
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

I appreciate you taking the time to post your lovely review. It’s great to see that the hotel met your expectations and that you and your party all enjoyed your stay. We aim to offer comfortable accommodation, good food and friendly service which I’m pleased to see you found to be the case. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed the entertainment and I must admit the female staff on duty that night also enjoyed the Take That tribute!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.