“hotel need TLC”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I can say that hotel location is good.Hotel needs TLC.Room we had rotten window could not close, black around window. Rain and wind was coming into window, curtain was blowing well. Place trousers to stop wind. Trousers were then soaked. Then use towels. Spoke to reception who said the only think she could do would be tape the window up. this was done and the wind and rain stopped coming into the room.Staff i feel so sorry for them in the restuarant. They are running around so much that they are short staffed. Food was poor standard and cold. Was not told you had to share table with other guest. All of us sqeezed into restauarant. when another area was not being used.Bar staff were quick in serving you. But i could not beleive sitting in bar area that a person in charge telling member of staff off.In front of the quest that she was putting to much wine in glass. That should have been done when bar was closed or in the office. Not in front of people.
We payed a lot for this break. I expected looking at shearings brochure nicer quality room and better food for want we payed for this break. Never again at Royal. But will stay in another Hotel in Whitby..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kimtracey
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Thanks you for taking the time to share your views and I'm sorry to see yo were disappointed during your stay with us. As I am sure you will appreciate the weather during your stay was bad to the extreme with the high winds round the cliff top. The replacement of windows is very much an ongoing project. I'm a little concerned as to your comments regarding service in the restaurant - I have spoken to our restaurant manager who assures me that they were fully staff all weekend with all areas of the restaurant in use although possibly at different times throughout service. I have discussed your comments on the food with the chef who will investigate to identify any issues. The bar staff work very hard and I agree that any issues should be dealt with away from guests view.
Again, I am sorry to see you were disappointed and hope that this would not deter you from staying in a Bay hotel again in the future.
GENERAL MANAGER

Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Good points . Wonderful views .. Food was good , rooms were clean but dated apart from bathroom floor which needed a good scrub , staff very helpful , hard working and friendly , entertainment was excellent , nice comfortable quiet areas ..local bus finished running at 2.30 pm but taxis very cheap . Bad points not suitable for disabled , lift too small to take a wheelchair , steps up into dining room , very slow service in dining room as not enough staff ,main area windows could do with a good clean , wonderful sprung dance floor was spoiled by being sticky

Room Tip: My sister booked 101 sea view premier room for her and her husband self drive at a cost of £585 f...
1  Thank tillyLutonBeds
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. I'm pleased to see you enjoyed the meals during your stay and found our staff helpful and friendly. Our public areas offer a lovely environment to enjoy the stunning views you mentioned. I'll look into your comments regarding service in the restaurant, it's very unusual for us to receive comments of this nature. Whilst there are some areas in the hotel with steps, every effort is made to accommodate guests needs as we do on a regular basis and this information should be offered on booking. I am surprised to see the comments about the lift not taking a wheelchair as many of our guests do use the lift with wheelchairs. If you have any requests due to any mobility issues, it may be worth registering wth our Special Helpdesk at Head Office who can advise further at the time of booking and look into ensuring all requests are met wherever possible.
I hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.
VIcki Glen

Reviewed October 19, 2012

me and my sister went to the royal in whitby on the thirteenth of october with our husbands for the weekend,it was our first stay at this hotel,we were pleasantly surprised.nice polite and helpful from the receptionist,also from the bar staff,stayed in room 141 and 105.141 was a more over the ocean view while 105 was a view over the sea and a view of the abbey good large rooms.the evening meals were of a good standard but was a bit disappointed with the breakfast.the waiters and waitresses were run off their feet,and all of us thought the breakfasts were too small,and we waited a bit to long to be served.we went on a bus around whitby town and up to the abbey and the bus stop was just outside the hotel so this was a plus.taxis up from the town were around a fiver so not too bad.have seen better turns in hotels,but passable

Room Tip: 105 for view of abbey
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sylvia B
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Thank you for leaving your review. I'm pleased to see you all enjoyed your stay and were indeed pleasantly surprised. Or premier rooms are very popular with many of our guests due to their size and the views they offer. I'm pleased to see you enjoyed your evening meals and I will investigate the issues you mentioned about breakfast service, it is very unusual to receive negative comments regarding this. The tour bus is a great service enjoyed by many of our guests. Our entertainement is planned over the week with a view to something for everyone.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Once again I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel from 1st October to 5th October 2012.

You know I get sick and tired of people putting things like "My TV was small" or "The food was terrible". My advice to you is why do you bother going away, you don't go on holiday to watch TV all day, if you want to watch TV stay at home and stop moaning. Simple!

Anyway back to the Hotel! Me and my Mum stayed in this hotel in February and we enjoyed it so much we decided to come back and we are so glad we did. The food is outstanding, the staff are very friendly and the rooms are very clean.

We were so pleased to see Regina has been promoted to Hotel supervisor and she recognised me and my mum from February! A lovely lady who works very hard and I wish her nothing but the best. Our main waitress Tatiana was very friendly and worked extremely hard to make sure our meals came to us on time. Although Inma didn't serve us I was very pleased to see her interacting with the people and people that knew her before were very pleased to see her, this made the atmosphere very pleasant indeed, people seemed relaxed. Apologies if I've missed any of the waiter's/waitressed out, but let me say this they all deserve credit as they all work very hard indeed.

The receptionist's are very smart and really friendly.

Bev, one of the lady's that cleaned my room and my mum's room was a really nice lady and it was a pleasure talking to her and we had a great laugh. Bev and Maria who cleaned our room's work very hard indeed. You know when I go on holiday I'm not interested in big fancy wall lights and state of the art bathrooms, I just want a clean bed and clean bathroom and that's exactly what I got, so my thanks to Bev and Maria!

The location is excellent. We went with Shearings and we went on the North Yorkshire Moor's Railway on Tuesday. I have never been so happier in my life! The whole trip was just great. Getting on from Grosmont station, we headed to Pickering on the train. From there we went to Helsmley which is a nice quiet village.

Thursday, me and my mum travelled to Scarborough on the bus (bus no 93). It took us 1 hour but it was worth it, plus being a big fan of ITV's The Royal I got to see where it was filmed! (Holbeck Road). Scarborough also has a superb shopping centre.

Friday, we went to Goathland. Again being a big fan of Heartbeat I was thrilled to be back and the fella in one of the shops recogised me from February! The shops in Goathland provide a wonderful display of Heartbeat items such as calendar's and books. Go into Bernie Scripp's Garage as there is loads of stuff in there to see.

The driver Ian from Shearings was just a great fella. He only been with Shearings for 7 weeks but he drove well, had a great sense of humour and seemed to be enjoying himself chatting and laughing to the passenger's. We also had Mike another driver who lives in Whitby and he had great knowledge of the area and was very friendly. Geoff who took us to Warrington and brought us back is a born comedian! Seriously I nearly choked a few times as the man was just damn right funny!

I didn't want to leave Whitby as the week went too fast and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I want to thank Vicky, the manager of the hotel for keeping the hotel in top condition and I cannot wait to return in about 6 months time.

Kind Regards - John

Room Tip: Try and pick a sea view room as these are just great. Waking up and seeing the bay is a pleasant exp...
2  Thank JohnD1986
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

John, it was a delight to receive your fantastic review. It was lovely to see you and your mum back and to see that once again you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and were particularly pleased with your rooms and the food. As you so rightly say the team throughout the hotel are a fantastic bunch of people and Regina is doing very well in her new role as Restaurant Supervisor. It's great to see Bev and Maria being mentioned as the housekeeping team so often get overlooked as they are not seen as much and Tatiana receiving praise as she's only been with us a few weeks. Everyone will be delighted to see your comments. Time and time again our location is mentioned on here not only for the stunning views we enjoy but also the accessibility of the surrounding areas. Ian is not a regular driver here at the Royal but I'm sure if he has a look on here he'd also be delighted by your comments regarding his tours.
Once again it was a pleasure to receive your review and we look forward to seeing you "in about 6 months time".
Vicki and the team

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Having returned to this hotel after staying here the same time last year we were pleased to have found standards were still high apart from one area.
Having chosen sea-view rooms (311 a single and 312 a double) we were once again very happy with both the rooms and the views.The only dfference was our rooms this year had only a shower and no bath but for our party this was fine but if you really like a bath it may be worth saying so when you book.
The dining room was comfortable and food was delicious and always hot and well presented but here is where things have slipped a bit.Sevice at dinner was very slow even though the staff which were first rate worked really hard they just had too many guests to serve.Choice at dinner was good and excellent at breakfast.
All the staff once again were excellent and very friendly.The staff here really are an asset and a couple more serving at dinner would really have helped.

Room Tip: The windows in the second floor sea view rooms are much better than the third floor sea view rooms s...
1  Thank FrankandHedley
VickiGlen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. I’m pleased to see that in general you found our standards continue to be high. As you have mentioned, I would always advise guests to mention on booking any special requirements they may have for example bath or shower etc. thank you for your comments regarding the food, I will be sure to pass them onto the chefs, feedback like this is always well received. I’m sorry to see however, that you found service in the restaurant to be slightly slower than expected. The waiting staff do work very hard and I will pass this onto our Restaurant Manager to investigate. I couldn’t agree more with your comments regarding the staff, I have a great team here who definitely add to the overall experience.
We hope to welcome you back to the Royal soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

meals ok , good evening entertainment with Joel on ,on a Tuesday (worth seeing) lift a bit small , two people and one case? whiitby full of interest , would come back to the royal hotel again . train or bus to heartbeat country , (worth the visit ) also a visit to the royal (hospital ) in Scarborough . good idea to climb the 199 steps to Whitby abbey (if you are fit ) enjoy Whitby !

• Stayed: August 2012

Many thanks for your comments. I’m pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. Joel is a fantastic vocalist and is always well received. As you say Whitby is a fantastic base to see the surrounding areas with lots to see and do. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Had a lovely time at the Royal. The food was excellent and staff very friendly. Think it could do with being refurbished as our room was big but there was an old-fashioned TV, bedding old looking and there was a 'damp horrible smell'. The view was great from our room. The lift was very small and temperamental, most times had to use stairs. With a refurbishment this Hotel would be great.

Room Tip: Book a Premier or Superior room. We tried to change to one when we arrived but they were all fully...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Many thanks for posting your review. It is always great to hear when people have enjoyed their stay. I’m pleased to see the food was to your liking and I will pass your comments to the team. We are continually working on areas of the hotel and our refurbishment programme is very much an ongoing commitment. We are due to have a number of rooms done next month with a plan in place for further works next year. Myself and my housekeeping team will certainly look into your comments. I appreciate your comments regarding the lift but unfortunately this is usually caused by other guests continually pressing the call button on other floors. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal again in the not too distant future.