“The Royal Hotel in Whitby”

Bay Royal Whitby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I have just spent the last five days in an amazing hotel, The Royal in Whitby. It was the very place that Bram Stoker wrote Dracula, and next to where Lewis Carol stayed while writing Alice in Wonderland.. The view is second to none and the staff treat you to an amazingly high standard.

The food in the restaurant is very good and the speed the staff in there work at is not found in many five star establishments. The bar prices are about the same as anyone of the pubs in the town as well.

We had a very small problem in our room with the heating and mentioned it to the very helpful and friendly Scottish manager.... and within five minutes it was fixed.

i would recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in this wonderful historic town. 10/10

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the sea view.... it is worth EVERY penny .. especially at sunrise .
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Danny170
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. Whitby is a town steeped in history and we are lucky enough to be in the middle of it with some fantastic views. It is great to see the staff commented on so positively, they definitely work very, very hard and deserve every bit of praise they receive. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team.
It is inevitable unfortunately that on occasion our guests may experience small problems during their stay but often a quick word with our FOH team can rectify this and I’m glad that was so in your case.
We hope you choose to stay with us on your next trip to Whitby.

There are newer reviews for Bay Royal Whitby Hotel

Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed 28th August and had a really good time. Would reccomend paying extra for seaviews. We booked 3 rooms for family and they were all very clean and comfortable. The breakfast and evening meal was exceptional. I would like to say Julian our waiter couldn't do enough for us.
We went on the ghoast tour and Dracula tour that takes place by meeting outsde the Hotel, well worth doing and great laugh. Also the tour buses stop outside the Hotel .
Great entertainment too.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank WidnesMartins
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2011

A pleasure to receive your comments regarding your stay with us. I’m pleased to read you encountered no problems during your stay and enjoyed your meals. As mentioned so many times on here, the sea view rooms are without a doubt worth that little bit extra. Julian was indeed a very pleasant young man who has now returned back home. The open Tour bus and various tours undoubtedly add to the character of the town. I will pass all your comments onto the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Definately upgrade to a superior room as these have been refurbished.we were in room 209 which was a large room with a really big bathroom and it overlooked the abbey. we stayed 4-7th november which turned out to be the goth weekend. it was a really busy time with great atmosphere, we foung the food to be quite good value with a fast and efficent service. Drinks were expensive and the entertainment was ok. all staff were really friendly. friends of ours stayed at the same time but their room was a let down as it was in the older part overlooking the car park at the back with old windows. overall i would stay again along as i was in a sea view room.

Room Tip: book a superior room with sea view
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jane499580
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Goth weekend are always good fun with a real buzz around the town. As has been mentioned in other reviews the superior/premier rooms are proving to be very popular and definitely worth that little bit extra especially as Whitby has stunning sea and Harbour views. The menus and entertainment plan are prepared with a view to offering something for everyone’s tastes.
I hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the near future.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Stayed here 4th-7th Nov . Must say most staff very nice and rooms kept clean and tidy though shower rail and basin taps need fixing. No handle on bedside cabinet. Beds are hard and lumpy , but by far the most disappointing was the quality of food. I'm no Gordon Ramsey but everything was frozen cheap food. Unbelievably they even serve frozen fish . . . . In whitby of all places. This must only be because of head office cutbacks because no chef , if there is one, would let food of this standard leave a kitchen. Feel very rushed at mealtimes . Entertainment was the best part. Dave ferry and the blues brothers tribute were good.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank swisstony2

It is always disappointing to read that guest’s have not enjoyed their stay as much as we would like them to but I do appreciate you taking the time to express your views. I am pleased to see the staff and cleanliness throughout the hotel met the standards you expected. I apologise for the inconvenience the faults you found in your room must have caused as these should have been picked up prior to you entering the room by my team. I have passed your comments about the shower rail and bedside cabinet to our maintenance dept to rectify the situation and prevent others facing the same problems. With regards to the food, we try very hard to offer something to everyone’s tastes. As you will see from other reviews on this site, we do receive a number of good comments with regards to our food and usually, should any problems arise, these can be rectified with a quick word with ourselves. However, I am delighted that you enjoyed the entertainment within the hotel and I will be certain to pass your comments on to Dave who performs here weekly.
I sincerely hope you would consider giving us another chance sometime in the future.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

This was my sixth or seventh stay in the Royal at Whitby and we have already booked for NEXT year. Whilst not a Goth, punk, Steam Punk or whatever I find this weekend magical. At least half of the visitors are dressed up, mainly in variations of Victorian dress (links to Dracula and Captain Cook) one of the delights is how safe and secure we feel and the friendliness of everyone we meet!
Now to the hotel- it is a little Shabby Chic but it doesn't claim to be 5star!The staff are generally helpful and friendly (I say generally because only one did not come up to what we have begun to expect from the excellent staff in this hotel). The place is clean and the rooms are pleasant- very few flat screen TVs(but some updated rooms do have them) but then I don't come on holiday to watch TV. The food is good and wholesome with plenty of choice my only complaint is that the evening meal is now between 6.30 and 7.30 I thought that in the past it extended to 8.00-oh and I preferred coffee at the dining table as sometimes it is difficult to get a seat in the public rooms after dinner! Breakfast is excellent.
The views are terrific- this year we paid extra for a guaranteed view of the Abbey- magnificent!
The staff are a mixture of local and young Europeans. They are helpful and pleasant and deal with any issues as quickly as possible. there is entertainment every night and the costs (this year £119 for half board) are very reasonable. We were a group from 2 up to 81 and I am sure that the two year old enjoyed it as much as the 81 year old.

We will see you next year!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an Abbey View
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Scousemaid
vickiglen, General Manager at Bay Royal Whitby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

It is great to see so many familiar faces and returning guests at this time of year. I agree that the sights of the Goth weekend are a MUST for everybody if they get the chance. I thank you for your positive comments with regards to the rooms and dining arrangements. The staff work very hard in these areas and it encourages them greatly to read comments like these. With regards to the coffee in the lounge areas of an evening, this is currently on trial and we are receiving mixed comments on this. This will be reviewed in the near future.
We look forward to seeing you at the next Goth weekend, if not before.

Reviewed October 28, 2011

I am currently in room 330 the carpet is threadbare and secured by black tape. The toilet cistern is smashed and glued in two places. The inside of the shower is rusty with rust marks running down the walls. It is generally poor I would never pay to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank SueFord69

It is always disappointing to read comments like these. I appreciate that some areas of the hotel are in need of upgrading sooner than others and I assure you that this is an ongoing project. I trust you were indeed more comfortable in the complimentary superior room upgrade you received for the duration of your stay.

Reviewed October 26, 2011

Excelle t premiure room with superb view of Abbey and very comfortable bed

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank Abbeyroyal

Thank you for taking the time to leave your great comments. I will pass your comments onto all our staff and the entertainment team. The Premier rooms are proving to be very popular especially for the stunning views they offer and are definitely worth that little bit extra. We hope to welcome you back to the Royal in the not too distant future.