“Fantastic hosts and best black pudding I have ever had!”
Review of Riftswood B&B

Riftswood B&B
Ranked #9 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hosts and best black pudding I have ever had!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here Thursday 23rd May for 3 nights. We arrived and was offered tea/ wine and fruit cake! The room was a little dated and was ok for being clean, if I was being picky the edges needed doing and found a few hairs which where not ours. Our toilet was outside, which was a bit off putting when you needed the loo through the night, as you felt you couldn't sneak out without being seen. There was fresh flowers in the room and also chocolates/ biscuits and tea making facilities and even shower gel! What made this stay where the hosts, they where fantastic genuine caring people and amazing cooks! The breakfast was second to none! Best black pudding I have ever had, they made all their own jams which where amazing and we even had recepies awaiting for us in our room when we got back. Nothing was too much for them and when we hadn't pre ordered the kippers on our last day they where beautifully cooked with poach eggs and butter sauce! Fab fab fab!!! I would def stay there again, get a bigger room this time and can't wait for the breakfasts!! Shame they don't deliver!!! Everyone who stayed there where regulars. Great location, fantastic food, genuine lovely caring couple.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Charlottepuss
Riftswood, Owner at Riftswood B&B, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hi Charlotte, Thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and in particular the breakfasts, and hope you are enjoying some of your own homemade jams now ! As we do genuinely care that our guests enjoy their stays with us, we just wanted to mention for the benefit of prospective guests that we do endeavour to make it clear on our website, on laterooms and through telephone enquiries, that our Standard room (Room 1) does have an en suite shower and washbasin and that the toilet is just next to the room and is private to the room, so this should not be a surprise to new guests staying with us. Our superior rooms are both fully ensuite, are significantly larger in size with beautiful original Victorian fireplaces, hence the difference in the room rates. We would love you to come back and stay in one of these rooms and see the difference for yourselves !
Peter, Paula & Denzil x

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The excellent reviews for Riftswood are well deserved. Our hosts went the extra mile to make our stay feel special, even a gift and a birthday card for me! They also recommended (great call) and booked a restaurant for us. The room was very nice, very clean and had everything we could ask for. The breakfast was top quality and was big enough even for my appetite. It was a pleasure to meet Peter and Paula and I will certainly be staying with them in future and I recommend anyone else to do so as well.

Nottingham
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Leaving whitby tonight after staying at the Riftwood b and b for the first time. Already booked a second visit after a wonderful experience. Pete and Paula (not forgetting Denzel the dog), made us feel exceptionally welcome. The room was lovely and very comfortable, and our hosts gave us all the comforts of home - nothing was too much trouble for them. Breakfast set us up nicely for the day. We would highly recommend the riftwood
Cathy and Troy

Liversedge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were meant to be staying at Riftswood after completing the W2W, but due to a chest infection the plan slightly changed and we travelled across to Whitby for a more relaxed stay and to enjoy the beach and town.

From the moment we arrived, Paula made us feel exceptionally welcome, and the offer of tea and cake was lovely. The room was beautiful - the fireplace was amazing - and had everything we needed for a very comfortable and enjoyable night. I was also pleased by how proud Paula and Peter are of Riftswood, and the amount of effort they put into a) making the place feel welcoming and b) going above and beyond expectations and being so friendly and helpful. Breakfast was brilliant, and it was really good to have a chat with Peter, Paula and Denzel before we left.

I can't compliment this place and the owners enough. I will definitely go back and would advise anyone to stay there from the large number of places one can choose from in a place like Whitby. Thank you!!

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more for one of the larger en-suites!
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Just had an overnight stay in Whitby, the stay at Riftswood was excellent . Peter and Paula were the perfect hosts, so friendly and welcoming , second to none . I wouldn't hesitate recommending Riftswood to anybody looking to stay in the Whitby area. Ian and Jane

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ian_fairhurst
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just returned from a weekend at the Riftswood Guest House at Whitby and felt compelled to write a report of my experiences. The hotel was beautiful and the hosts (Peter Paula and Denzel) were absolutely perfect in every way. I would genuinely recommend this place to anyone but dont just take my advice read the glowing reports from other guests of which I whole heartedly endorse. This stay has reaffirmed my faith in guest houses after having it shattered a few times. Please do yourselves a favour and have a weekend in Riftswood I know both my wife and I will be doing so again in the near future. Many thanks to all at Riftswood.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Just got back from a stay at the Riftswood in Whitby, I don' often stay in b&b's as I am quite a fussy customer but I felt nothing but comfortable here and Pete and Paula go above an beyond to make sure their guests are well looked after and have everything they need, including being kind enough to offer us a lift into town with our heavy luggage after our stay.
On arrival we were welcomed with wine and beer, the offer of fruit cake, and hugs from Denzil the dog which was exactly what was needed after a 5 hour bus journey!
The room was clean and comfortable, tastefully decorated, and well stocked every day with biscuits and chocolates.
The delicious breakfasts were a highlight of our trip.
I would recommend the Riftswood to friends and if we return to Whitby will definitely be staying again.