“The Riviera, Whitby”

The Riviera Guest House
Ranked #15 of 155 Whitby B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and l spent 5 days in N. Yorkshire staying at The Riviera Hotel, Whitby. It is owned and run by Emma and Zed who made us feel very welcome. The room was beautifully decorated and very clean, the breakfast menu was amazing and the staff couldn't do enough to help. We'd recommend this 15 bedroomed hotel to anyone. It's situated on the front facing the North sea and really only 10 minutes walk to the shops and amusements. I have mistakenly put that the swimming pool was terrible.....but there is no pool and l can't delete it.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel but we didn't mind as we weren't going to be sitting l...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 23JO48AN

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed at single room for three nights. Breakfast was really good. The Host Emma and Zed were very kind and willing to solve problems.
The single room located on the top floor. Although it said that it is en-suite, you need to go out of your room for toilet and shower. There were only a mirror and a tap with both cold and hot water in the room.
Overall, it was quite nice place to stay. really recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Chih-Yueh H
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Emma and Zed were such a lovely couple they made us feel like family. We were celebrating our Golden Wedding there and they made it so special for us. Vanessa served us our really nice breakfasts and she was lovely too. The room we had was no 2 with a four poster bed with views to die for. We loved every minute we stayed there.
We will certainly stay with Emma and Zed again.

Room Tip: Room 2 has views to die for.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank september1963
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Riviera, we came back because of the great service and excellent location. We stayed in room 2, we had a four poster bed and non-stop views of the North Sea. The west cliff offers amazing and dramatic scenery all year round, but the bed could have been more comfortable with higher quality sheets and cosier bedding. The improvements to the bathroom have paid dividends, but again let down by the linens. The breakfast was lovely, made to order and not scrimping in content, more coffee would have been nice, maybe on the self service section of the room, but mainly very nice. Overall we would stay again, for the location more than anything, but Zed and Emma have always been very welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Nick G
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I visited the Riviera for just one night while on a little tour of the east coast.

I had an email conversation with Emma to check that I could be catered for as I am a Coeliac, I was advised that this was fine and they could accommodate me, as this is a big issue for me I was happy to know they would be ok with this. So I booked a single, sea view room.

On arrival I was greeted by Zed (very nice gentleman)

My room was on the 4th floor (man those stairs were a killer especially after you have walked up the million steps from the pier) The view from my room was amazing, you could not have asked for more.

The room itself could have done with a lick of paint and a new carpet as it was very stained, the bed was not very comfy and the quilt cover did not fit the quilt? I am not sure if this is just an issue with the single rooms.

The shower was not great, it did not really have any pressure and half way though my shower it went cold and I could not get it hot again.

I have to admit I could let all the above go but breakfast was a shambles

I went down at 8.15 and had to go wondering around the 2 rooms to find my table, I finally found it and was asked if I would like tea or coffee, I asked for tea and I gave the gentleman my bread, he looked at me funny so I advised that Zed was aware of this. He came back a minute later to advise me that the toasters were located in the corner, I told him that it needed to be grilled (as agreed in my emails with Emma) as the toaster was used for normal bread ( you cannot contaminate gluten free bread with normal bread as one crumb will make me very poorly)

About 10 mins later I was brought my toast, I then had to ask for milk for my cereal (I brought my own as cannot eat Kellogg's) as there was none with the cereal. Then at 5 to 9 (40 mins after sitting down) I was brought my cooked breakfast (which was pre ordered the night before) minus the egg for some reason, I asked why I had no egg and was advised he forgot so one was brought out. Still at this point I had not been brought any tea.

The breakfast was very nice once it arrived however, It was a little sparse (1 bacon, 1 hash brown, 1 tomato and a few mushrooms oh and 1 egg when it arrives, baring in mind I could not have the sausage and beans as they were not gluten free.

Hope this does not put you off

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank clarko31
RivieraWhitby, Owner at The Riviera Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

I am very sorry that you were not happy with breakfast. You did indeed have an email conversation with myself (Emma) about being a coeliac. We are more than happy to cater for a diverse range of dietary requirements (and have done so, on many occasions, in the past – problem free). Unfortunately I was not able to be there on the Tuesday morning breakfast due to an antenatal appointment (we’re expecting a baby in December) therefore arranged for staff to cover the breakfast serving, I am sorry that you were not happy with the service you received.

I have brought this up with those concerned and they were also upset that you were not happy. You were finishing you cereal for a while whilst have a chit-chat with other guests and we would never rush anybody at breakfast so until you finished your cereal, they did not want to bring your breakfast out to you. We are very pleased you enjoyed your breakfast once it arrived and would have been only too happy to serve you more if you had so wished.

We have taken on board your comment about our single room and along with the other two single rooms, this is going to be re-decorated and have new carpets put down in the winter months.

We are pleased you were happy with your welcome to the Riviera from Zed; and delighted the views impressed you. We agree…"you could not ask for more", they are beautiful.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Wonderful place to stay, both Zed and Emma are welcoming and friendly, make you feel as though you are part of the family. Room was a nice size, with lovely en suite shower, the bed was a king size 4 poster and has been one of the most comfortable we have slept in.
the views from the bedroom (no.3)were to die for, even with the window open at night not too noisy and within walking distance of the centre.
A wonderful introduction to Whitby, will definitely stay again... Cannot wait to return there...

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Tim C
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in august. fantastic weather, super accomodation, wonderful hosts! We had a front facing sea view room on the third floor. Bathroom was large with bath and shower oh and a sea view! The room was fine with a double bed and enough room to erect a put-u-up large size camp bed. (although zed did put an inflatable air bed in the room for the kids). The breakfast has to be one of the best i have had in a B&B. Full english or cereal, toast, fruit ect. The second morning i had to have cereal as the full english was very filling!! (not complaining mind). Our breakfast table was right in the front alcove looking out at the sea. Stunning! Table 7. Very clean and tidy and also nice and light in there. Plenty of space also. Zed and Emma are great hosts and always take time out to chat with you. Would definately reccomend this place. Although we do tend to try new places out, i'm sure we will be staying here again at some point. Thanks folks for a really great few days!! See you again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family