“Oast Guest House - The Best”
Review of Settle

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Summerville, SC
16 helpful votes
“Oast Guest House - The Best”
Reviewed July 17, 2006

Our family of 4 spent 3 excellent nights at the Oast Guest House in Settle. After arriving at Giggleswick Station (should have gone into Settle Station, but there was a 3 hour wait for that train) and finding that it is nothing more than a platform, small car park and a very small shelter we headed off with our baggage (thank goodness we travelled light!) to find our accommodations. Once we found our way, and passing the Settle Station (sigh) we were not far from our destination.(It took us approx. 50 minutes to walk from Giggleswick Station to the Oast Guest House. Our hostess was amazed to hear how we got there and said we were very brave. She showed us where the lounge was and the dining room, then took us up to check out some of the rooms. She gave us a choice of rooms. We chose the top floor where there were 2 rooms, each with their own shower, etc. We were very pleased with our accommodations, and our view from the front of the house was breathtaking. I counted 108 sheep and 1 horse on the hill directly in front of us!! In about 30 minutes, our hostess brought us up some very tasty energy bread and a bowl of grapes stating that she knew we must be very hungry. We inquired as to a place to eat. While our host listed off several places in town, our hostess highly recommended a restaurant called Ravenous. We ate there that night and I must say, the atmosphere at Ravenous was intimate, the food was incredible. We all had different starters and entrees and none of us was sorry for what we ordered. Our lone waitress was very efficient and I don't know how she managed to take care of all the tables on her own, but she certainly did a good job of it. Our first full-day at the Dales started off with a very hearty breakfast prepared by our hostess. Excellent menu with tasty sausages, eggs, cereals, fruit, homemade bread, juice and anything else you could think of. Our host served as waiter and did a very nice job of it. So off we went with a full stomach on my very much anticipated Dales walk. Using a guide book I purchased prior to our trip, we chose a walk which started right outside our door, going over the bridge to Giggleswick (their train station is even further from Giggleswick than Settle), through a few streets and then out into the open air of the Dales. Our estimated time of walking, according to the book, was 4 hours. We made one wrong turn, walked probably 2 miles out of our way but got back on track before too long. It was a glorious experience being out there with about 10,000 sheep, climbing ladder stiles over rock walls, and strolling by the River Ribble. We made it back in approximately 5 1/2 hours, starving and ready for a meal at the Golden Lion Pub. The food there was okay. Yorkshire pudding not so good, steak not so good, but the lamb was excellent, wine was good and dessert very satisfying. Second day we split up. The boys off for a round of fly fishing at the Stocks Reservoir with guide Paul Bebb. They had a wonderful time. They did have to rent a car to get there, but that was arranged and all went well. My daughter and I were anxiously off for our planned pony trek at the Yorkshire Dales Trekking Center. Enjoyed every minute of it. The ponys were such good sports, the guides could not have been any more friendly and the equipment was all in good shape. Our 2 1/2 hour ride ended much too soon, but our memories of it will never end. Our last dinner was eaten at the Black Horse Pub in Giggleswick (10 minute walk from the Oast). Beautiful pub, nice people, very good food and two very well-behaved Weimeraner dogs who made me miss my own dogs. As we left the Oast Guest House the next day, I knew I would be missing it for what was left of our vacation. Although we stayed several nights in very nice guest houses in York and Edinburgh, The Oast was my favorite. The town of Settle is so much how I thought it would be when planning the trip. It was right out of All Creatures Great and Small and I tried to lock everything about it into my memory bank. We did take the train out of the Settle Station -- it took us about 8 minutes to walk there. . . . . I fully intend to return to Settle in the future and I look forward to another very happy stay at the Oast Guest House.

2 Thank Randi M

Been to Settle? Share your experiences!