Oast Guest House
  • Breakfast included
The Traddock(Austwick)
The Craven Arms(Giggleswick)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbowl of fruithomemade jamshome made cakesb bkipperstop floorblueberrieshot drinkspotato cakesdouble roomtea traycomfortable bedclean roomsnight staytown centrefollowing morninghelen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Three of us stayed at the Oast triple room 5 on the top floor. It was compact, clean with three comfortable beds including the third fold up type. The shower was above average in area and powerful. We thought Helen was a fine host friendly and good humoured. She does her own jams and juices and cooks a fine full English notably without ketchup or brown sauce ( why not for a change?}- other breakfast choices included kippers and eggs on crumpets. Tea facilities with cake were in the front room and she did us a cold breakfast before an early start for the three peaks. We didn't meet Martin but next time we're in Settle we'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 5 is triple top of the house and you can see pen y ghent if the weather permits. Compact but adequate if all you need is a comfortable bed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
oast12, Owner at Oast Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review the Oast, it is much appreciated. Helen is very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and looks forward to seeing you again in the future. I appreciate that room 5 can be a little 'compact' with three men and walking kit, but on the positive side the beds are comfortable.
Thanks very much and look forward to meeting you next time.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at Oast while attending a wedding nearby - our hosts welcome was warm and friendly, the rooms very clean with everything we needed an excellent breakfast coupled with a reasonable price means we will definitely be staying here again

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Lanesofleeds

Thank you for taking the time to review The Oast. We are pleased that you enjoyed the stay and that the weather kept fine for the wedding.
It was really nice to meet you and if you are in the area again will look forward to seeing you.
many thanks

Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hosts didn't introduce themselves when we arrived, not even a hello. Not a single smile. Locked bike storage apparently means just putting the lock over the seat or handle bars- easily removed, not at all secure! Rudeness and hostility from the hosts for our entire stay spoilt it for us. Would not stay again and would actively discourage anyone from staying here.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank sunny_strawberry
oast12, Owner at Oast Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Thank you for the review it is much appreciated that you can take the time out to write such drivel. I can only assume that being part of the large group of cyclists who arrived en masse [see previous review ] that you were one of the group who freely wandered around and ignored any conversation. At least you obviously listened at some point to get the right room!

I may not be a cyclist but even I know that securing a bike around the seat or the handlebars is not very secure. I thought that I was quite an intelligent man but now following this review I know that I am very intelligent because securing the frames with three or four chains is obviously the answer.

It is usual to find that rudeness and ignorance is generally greeted with indifference. That is what this group got. Indifference!
If people are generally polite, reasonable and pleasant then that is reciprocated.

I can safety say that if any of the guests within the group were ever to enquire about staying again - we ARE full!

Groups of cyclists, generally tend to be communicative, social and good humoured unfortunately this group of ten were the opposite.

Once again thank you for the review it just reinforces the negativity of the group as a whole.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

On arrival there were no welcoming words i.e. "Hello how was your trip" Our bikes were stored outside arranged by Martyn, when two of our party of ten decided to add additional locks for securing the bikes they were belittled by Martyn. If several of the party felt happier with extra locks on the bike we didn’t see this a problem!!!
The rooms were comfy and clean
The next morning woken by the sounds in the kitchen below at 6.00am I got up and wandered down for a cup of coffee only to find no-one about and there was no water in the kettle. I let myself out and bought a coffee from the garage a short distance down the road and went for a walk. On my return I saw Helen was in the kitchen said "good Morning” and asked for milk and water for the kettle, without a word Helen filled the kettle and handed me a jug of milk before turning her back on me.
I find this rudeness hard to believe from someone in the hospitality industry. I was ignored on two more occasions while the breakfast table was being set and began to feel something very wrong had occurred. I asked Helen directly if there was a problem to which she replied that one of our party had not locked the door after them the previous afternoon! I was informed that some "random woman had walked in off the street". The woman in question had merely called to enquire of the room rates!

Perhaps the removal of the “Guest House” sign outside would remedy this type of intrusion?

The breakfast was mostly very nice with lots of choice, however the fresh orange and raspberry juice could have been much improved by the removal of the orange pith before liquidising as this gave it a bitter taste.

The whole of our group agreed that the Guest house was lovely even if some of the rooms were a little snug. However non of us would return due to the hosts rude and unnecessary attitude.

Having been in the hospitality trade for much of my working life I can only hope that Martyn and Helen will read this and take note. This little guest house could be amazing with just a little more thought as to how guests would like to be treated!
Not one of our party would return!
Such a shame!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BEEhappy48
oast12, Owner at Oast Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

I was in the mindset to ignore this crass, inaccurate review but the final comments make me feel obliged to reply. If the reviewer had the wit to read the other reviews they would have realised that I reply to them all!

I am really sorry that a party of ten were not greeted individually on arrival I shall in future walk round and shake all by the hand so that nobody feels left out. Thank you for the tip from your many years in the hospitality business.

In relation to the bikes I was merely pointing out that the bikes were secure, there is security lighting, there were four locks and they were at the back of the house in Settle. I do not need a trumped up ignoramous to tell me that his bike is worth £2000, who looks at me as if I know nothing and tells me it needs to be safe. Being a professional in the hospitality trade I am not allowed to slap him! In addition if anyone did want to steal the bikes maybe the constant procession of lycra clad individuals walking round the back of the house may have given some indication of bikes. What you also fail to say is that several of the bikes were stored indoors but then I expect nothing else.

Being in the hospitality trade for much of your life does not seem to have given you the skill of common sense or the ability to walk with a kettle to a sink, fill with water, open a fridge, remove some milk and then plug kettle in. If you are daft enough to go to the garage for a coffee then I can see why security of the bikes is important Oh sorry security is not important you will quite happily let a random stranger waltz into my house on the pretext of asking for a tariff. I am sure you would have been equally happy had they waltzed into your bedroom.

I have informed Helen that on no occasions in the future can she use our bathroom or shower before breakfast. This is to ensure that anyone wanting tea or coffee and milk will not be disappointed.

In regard to the fresh juice I am sorry that the fresh whole fruit juice without any pith was not to your liking, even if both jugs were emptied. We will in future endeavour to ask future guests if they want the proper stuff or some mass produced juice that at some stage in its existence saw an Orange. Once again thank you for your hospitality knowledge.

I find your sarcastic comment about the 'snug' room quite funny. If you had listened on arrival to the greeting and instruction you would have known that the room you occupied was for single occupancy. Your allocated larger room was subsequently occupied by a single person. Maybe the fact that there was only one set of towels in your room should, with your experience, have told you that but maybe you never noticed.

Finally I am sure with your many years of experience in the hospitality industry you are aware of the enormous amount of effort that welcoming ten people who arrive en mass, eat en mass can create so I can only apologise for your rude awaking in the early hours of the morning. I am sure that you will have enjoyed your cycle trek across country to home and am very pleased that you do not feel the need to complete the route again.

Once again thank you for your insight and the sharing of your vast hospitality experience gained from caravan sites.

Regards

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just stayed at The Oast for two nights. Stayed in room 1, the shower cubicle in the en-suite was very small. It was a struggle to wash my hair without knocking my elbows. Room was very clean, however no tea and coffee facilities in the room. The room was also small. Lovely hosts, nice breakfast but would not stay again. Just too small and not worth the amount paid.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank mindi_12
oast12, Owner at Oast Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for spending time writing a review. It was much appreciated as it highlights the fact that negative reviews are generally to make up for bad decisions made.
If you had booked earlier and not left it to the last week then you would have been allocated a different room but unfortunately last bookings have to take what is available. You did have a couple of options a] book earlier b] find somewhere else in Settle on a weekend.
I appreciate that tea and coffee facilities are not in the rooms but as you said that room is smaller and putting tea and coffee and cake would make it appear smaller still. Fortunately cyclists and 3 Peakers are able to walk down a flight of stairs to get to the cakes so I will not be changing the current arrangements. If it had been a major issue for you I would have expected that, having read the literature, that you would have requested a tea tray.
Once again thank you for your review. It is appreciated.
martyn