“Evening Visit after Day in Yorkshire”

The Shambles Fish & Chip Shop
Ranked #18 of 39 Restaurants in Settle
Description: It has a restaurant attached.
Description: It has a restaurant attached.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife & I were wanting a quick meal following a visit to the Settle to Carlisle Railway. We were very pleased to find The Shambles in the middle of Settle. Cod & Chips was freshly cooked nice and hot, fish was very fresh. Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I am doing this review a couple of days after a visit to the restaurant. I have being doing B&B in nearby Ingleton for almost 20 years and have visited the Shambles over the years, far too many times to remember, taking fish and chips away or eating in.
Additionally I have often referred the Shambles to my guests, should they want a fish & chip meal out of preference to Ingleton's own chippie which has over the years a rather checkered time (they are perfect now). To get to the point - I along with 3 other friends arrived at the Shambles. On opening the restaurant door, we were greeted with "We're Closed" - just two words no apologies, not even "Sorry". I accept that restaurants close before the take out side of the business but surely it does not cost anything to be civil. Perhaps a little exercise in etiquette would not go amiss. Needless to say we went to the the Fish Restaurant down the road which was still open and thoroughly enjoyed the food. I will now recommend them and give the Shambles a wide berth. What a shame it should come to this. Still £35 went into the opposition's till and it was worth every penny.
PS- There were four people in the Shambles restaurant who were about depart and even they were bewildered by the was the member of staff acted.

5  Thank SomersetColinE
Reviewed August 31, 2013

It's a funny little fish and chip shop come cafe. Very Yorkshire, very traditional, inexpensive and a frequent stop off when we're visiting granny!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were late, just before closing. Not a problem as the young couple working there were not at all phased. Our order was taken and within a short time our fish and chips were freshly cooked and they were delicious.

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This has got to be one of the countries very best fish & chip shops. We have called here before and this time in settle we made a bee line for our fix. The food is always cooked fresh to order
.even the peas have natural colour. Always excellent service always good.

1  Thank balddove