“So few birds!”

Yorkshire Dales Falconry and Conservation Centre
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We visited the centre on Easter Monday. We enjoyed the display show - there was only a small crowd so we could hear the commentary and the young handlers were funny and informative. The show lasted approximately half an hour. Aside from this, the visit was dire, there were hardly any birds (about 10 in view on perches or in cages + some hidden behind trees - there is a note explaining that they are breeding so need privacy - if we had known there were only 10 birds to see we wouldn't have come!); apart from a sparse park for children there is NOTHING else to do. I'm not including the cafe because we didn't want to spend any more money after each paying our 7 pound fee to a rather brusque woman for very little in return. There are lots of lovely cafes in nearby Settle.
Having been to several birds of prey centres around the country, this is by far the poorest I've seen in terms of birds and value.

3  Thank helnb

Reviewed March 31, 2013

An excellent educational day out for all generations.
The 2 lads handling the birds know their stuff and it is very interactive.
Highly recommended.
Also if you need a new roof for a nuclear bunker, get one of the pies from the cafe. Service with a growl from the tea room!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I am not reviewing the falconry display, as we chose not to part ourselves of £7 each for an hours display, when we had quite frankly just been ripped off and seen and heard enough in the tea rooms.

Firstly we approached the counter for more milk with our tea pot for two, to be told we had had our milk allowance already. The tea may have been for two but the milk must have been on rations as we were hard pushed to make one brew with it. Would not mind but considering the lady was going around after people clearing tables and collecting leftover milk and pouring it back into the bottle in the fridge for the next customers it stung me a little.

Secondly, just as I was abouts to eat my last mouthful of ridiculously overpriced scrambled eggs on toast, I noticed an abubdance of green mould all over my toast. Too late I thought I,ve just eaten the rest. I asked for my money back and was given a slice of complimentary toast with an apology of "oh you must have got the old loaf by mistake". It is a food establishment and as far as I am concerned there should be no old loaves in there let alone mouldy ones. The food was overpriced, unpresentable and the service was shoddy. Never again I say.

5  Thank Julieloveseatingout
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We went on a crisp beautifull day to do the half day handling course it was superb and an expeariance ill never forgett! The chaps who took us on were more then keen on the subject and welcome to answer any questions we asked also looked after the little one really well when he was catching some of the big birds on his little arm! We stoped off for a bacon butty before the second show just what we needed to get back out there. Well worth every penny and something ill never forgett!

1  Thank Aisling O
Reviewed February 19, 2013

lovely knowledgeable staff , wonderful birds and a well planned visit , nice little cafe , friendly lady in charge , a good day out !

1  Thank JFEHUDDERSFIELD