“A very fine curry - and the Yorkshire Dales on the doorstep”
Review of Royal Spice

Royal Spice
Ranked #22 of 39 Restaurants in Settle
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Also known as R. Spice. Telephone +44 (0)1729 822901
Reviewed May 10, 2013

As a big curry fan and with in-laws in Bradford, I have to admit that I wasn't expecting anything to compare to what I normally eat when I come North to see them. We'd all decided to go up to Settle for the weekend for a change. How wrong I was. This was one of the best curry's I've ever had - subtly and richly flavoured, succulent meat, not overly oily and clearly made from high quality ingredients. My father In law is vegan and wanted some curry he normally gets in Bradford which was not on the menu, so they adapted something specially. Delicious was the verdict. Several local people advised us to go so we booked. A good job because it was packed-out. Even so the staff managed to be as courteous as possible amid the hubub. My only minor complaint was that we were asked to vacate our table about 5 minutes before we were ready because they had another booking. I can't blame them for that and they were hugely apologetic offering dessert for free. But the lesson is to arrive on time and make sure youn know how much time you've got. If you want longer make it clear when you book. Very well worth a visit though and some unusual dishes on the menu.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We ended up eating here as we couldn't get a table anywhere else. The staff were very rude (a common theme it seems in restaurants in Settle) and the food dreadful. The poppadoms were cold and very stale and the food had no flavour. I ordered the lemon cous-cous chicken expecting a bowl of cous-cous on the side and chicken with a sauce. What I got was a lump of cous-cous with a few pieces of chicken buried inside and the equivalent of 3 onions. There was a pot of yoghurt to accompany the dish, but as it was so bland I didn't want to dilute the flavour any further. The whole dish was dry and pretty tasteless. My friend had the chicken jalfrezi which had no heat to it at all. I can't tolerate very spicy food and would never consider ordering a jalfrezi, but even I struggled to detect any heat in this dish. If we hadn't been so hungry by the time we arrived we would have walked out of this restaurant before ordering anything. Initially I put the unfriendly attitude down to the language barrier, but when I observed the staff chatting and laughing with a couple who are clearly local & regular customers I realised I was mistaken. When I asked to pay the bill, the waiter took my card and put it in the card machine at the desk and told (not asked) me to come and pay. I asked if I could leave a tip at which he sighed and told me "no, you should have said before" - needless to say I didn't! This restaurant is not licensed to sell alcohol so you have to bring your own - there is nothing on the menu or the door to indicate this and don't make the mistake of asking for a beer or you risk being treated as badly as we were.

1  Thank 1313bk
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Not what I expected at all. A comprehensive menu with some unusual dishes. We tried something new and were really pleased with the tasty meals we had. Service was warm and friendly. Its not licenced, so you can take your own beer or wine. 5 out of 5. Would go back time and again if I lived in the area.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Me and my boyfriend have eaten here a few times and every time we've been we have thoroughly enjoyed it. When we've been it has been quiet with no loud parties in, so really nice, calm atmosphere. We like the fact you can take your own alcohol as in other licensed places, they tend to rip you off a bit with the drinks. The Chicken Chaat starter is absolutely delicious. We'd never tried it before, then we experienced it here and we never come here without ordering it now!! Very good value for money, really friendly staff, the standard is still the same with a take away too. Both services are FAB!!!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Food was plain, and not spicy. I ordered a dish I've ordered in the past numerous times, and this one was plain. The service was poor and food generally cold (with exception of starter of course).
I could see others enjoyed their food, which is why i popped in, so obviously some dishes must be good and so my order could have been an exception.

1  Thank Tg12345g