“A Nice Diner With A Good Atmosphere”

Yellows American Bar and Grill
Ranked #163 of 856 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Yellows American Bar & Grill serves the freshest, fine quality ingredients, sourced locally where possible and prepared by our team of chefs to Delia's exacting standards. So, if you love tasty, homemade food, then you will love Yellows... mouth-watering burgers, deep fried catch of the day, macaroni and cheese and classic salads to name just a few of our favourites. You can drop into Yellows for a coffee to set you up for the day, a quick working lunch (we've got free wi-fi) or a full-on family feast. Why not come and chill out after work with a nice cool beer or cocktail...
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Thought we'd try out Yellows one lunchtime and were impressed with our overall experience. We weren't massively hungry so opted for their £5 lunch menu. I had a jacket potato with the 'Boston Beans' and coleslaw, was delighted to see the coleslaw was not one of the bog standard supermarket types you get in some restaurants and the beans - Yellow's take on baked beans were lovely, sweet but perfect for a potato topping.

We decided to go for a desert as they all sounded very appetising, and were surprised by the excellent presentation of the desert (Cheesecake, which was a very generous portion). The maple coated peacans were delicious!!!

Service was excellent, the waiters were very polite and we were checked on during our meal. The decor was nice, and the music from the jukebox provided an atmosphere for the diners. Will definitely be visiting again with the family, as there is something for everybody's taste on the menu.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Very nicely done out. Easy to get to with plenty of parking. Tasty food but some of it can be a bit expensive ie steak etc.
Normally visit for lunch as their lunch menu is only £5.00.
Would definately be visiting again.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Food was quite good (not cheap though, average for the price), but service was, we thought, not good at all.
Nobody came back to check if the food served was ok or whether we needed anything, and more annoyingly, not once did we get asked if we wanted another drink, despite empty glasses sitting on table for the whole of the main meal. Actually went up to the bar in the end to get a drink, in the middle of my meal.Staff do need to be more attentive.
Combined with the testing of the fire alarm (at 8.30 at night?) which meant a dreadful loud alarm going off every few minutes, for the duration of the meal, did not really make a pleasant experience. We will not be hurrying back.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

We were at a loss as where to eat on Saturday, we decided to try Yellows, seemed OK, staff attentive when we entered and got our table. My wife ordered Ribeye at £20 and I opted for the special - Porterhouse at £22. The food came and I cut into the Porterhouse with anticipation. It was chewy and after 2 mouthfuls or hard chewing I gave up, i thought maybe it was just me but my wife tried a piece and couldn't eat it either, we sent it back and refused to pay. Apart from anything else the steak was medium, no sign of pink despite asking for medium rare.

Later research showed that I had not even had a Porterhouse, the Porterhouse is a T-Bone steak with a larger piece of loin than the T-Bone and is considered one of the best cuts, mine had no sign of a bone and was very thin - a complete con.

The steak went back to the kitchen and the chef reported back that "it seemed OK to him" ! I suspect the chef doesn't know what a Porterhouse is either.

One of the reasons we chose Yellows was based on Delia's reputation, i doubt we'll go back. Prices were high but we assumed the food quality would match the price, not so. If you want an expensive burger then I suspect it's fine - don't have the Porterhouse.

One last word, my wife's Ribeye was very nice and I wished I'd had that rather than the more expensive Porterhouse.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

towards the upper end of the price bracket for what they call quality casual dining. All meals from delias books - so technically you could stay at home and make it yourself.
But we went, the food was very very good, and had a nice time with friendly staff and an informal setting.
Oh, and to cap it off, delia and her husband were eating there as well - so it must be good.