“OK but just OK”

Delia's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #163 of 835 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Delia's Restaurant and Bar Enjoy Delia’s recipes cooked to her exacting standards in our beautiful restaurant. Warm, friendly service and a relaxed atmosphere. Make us the place to celebrate the weekend. Delia’s Restaurant and Bar is open every Friday and Saturday from 7pm until late; a three-course dinner followed by coffee and something sweet is just £35.75 per person. Delia’s Restaurant and Bar is committed to supporting local produce. We have a large, free on-site car park.
London, United Kingdom
“OK but just OK”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I am a fan of Delia. So are most of my family. Her cookery books have graced our kitchen shelves for years. I have lived in Norwich while at university and had never got the opportunity to visit 'Delia's' so was really looking forward to this.

The surroundings are nice and wouldn't be out of place in the City (London city that is). However the food was just OK. I don't believe Delia would actually make roast potatoes like that. Unless I haven't been following her recipe properly. I realise that she isn't in the kitchen preparing the food but when menu is made up of recipes from her books you'd think they'd follow them?

I don't know if I'd go back. The atmosphere did make up for the lack of a wow factor with the food but it isn't well priced enough to warrant the trip. A shame really.

• Visited December 2012

Diss
“A bit disappointed”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I admire Delia and I was looking forward to visiting this restaurant.First of all the good things:
the restaurant is lovely and the service was very good, the staff are pleasant, smartly dressed and attentive without overdoing it. We both enjoyed our starters and puddings and the different varieties of bread are fantastic.

My husband liked his main course but mine was very poor, The chicken was only just cooked and the sauce was watery. It was served in an inappropriate pasta bowl that made it difficult to eat the chicken. I complained and the manager addressed my concerns with the chef and I was told that the dish was cooked to Delia's recipe, that it was a popular choice and no-one else had complained. i did not consider this adequate explanation as the dish was so obviously poor. In the past I have cooked this meal myself but this version was amateurish and I frankly would be embarrassed to serve it at home. In fairness the manager took our pre bar drinks off of the bill but I would rather have had a decent main course..

Both male and female lavatories were unkempt, paper towels and water across the floor, messy sinks.

The canapes served with the pre meal drinks were 2 olives rolling about in the bottom of a ramekin that gave the appearance of being left over from some one else and 2 tasteless cheese and possibly ham fritters and some orange sauce. Its a nice idea to serve them but needs to be better than this.

We may visit this restaurant again but I doubt that we will hurry back. Its a pity but I still like Delia

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Caron T
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing from a food perspective”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The restaurant is decorated very nicely, the staff were wonderful, the wine list seemed very limited, and the food was VERY disappointing and simply not worth the money. A real let down.

Visited March 2013
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Need to upgrade toilets ASAP”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Welcome : excellent front of house. Wine/ drinks waiter: excellent. Waiters and waitresses: excellent. We were very well looked after without feeling smothered or rushed. Menu a little unsophisticated and limited choices.
Biggest let down we're the toilets, chipped paint, overflowing waste bins- really needs a makeover as it gives a very poor impression when the decor and service in the restaurant is so very good.

• Visited February 2013
wirral
“Great value for Sumptious food”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Booked in for jazz night special , enjoyed the ambience and really friendly staff and of course the great food

Visited January 2013