“Excellent Value for Money”
Review of Abbey Guest House

Abbey Guest House
Ranked #16 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I think the title of this review says it all. I rate this establishment for the convenience and value for money it offers. David and Mandy are exceptionally warm and welcoming. I have stayed a few times now and keep returning whenever I need to make a quick trip up to Norwich. As a guest house, it offers all you want in terms of cleanliness and facilities. The breakfast in the mornings is generous and helps to get the day off to a good start. There was an occasion when I had to arrive late due to travel delays and David waited up until 2am to let me in which went beyond the call of duty. I have read some reviews stating problems with parking but I have always managed to park without a problem. One side of the street is permit parking for which a permit is provided and the other side allows a vehicle to remain until 10am without charge - ample time to move the vehicle in the morning should the need arise. I would highly recommend if you are on a budget and not expecting any of the frills associated with the larger hotel chains - having said that, the home cooked breakfast is far better than those breakfasts I have experiences at the larger chains.

Room Tip: the property is built as a 3 floor Victorian Terraced house. If you have a problem with stairs (no l...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have stayed in The Abbey before, but last time I switched to Travelodge which, I imagine, is something like staying in prison.

So, for my third trip to Norwich, I stayed here. Again.

At £25 for a single room and breakfast I really don't think this can be beaten for value. I the single room, not en suite, but there were toilets and showers down the hall. My room had multi-channel digital TV, tea and coffee making facilities. And in the morning a choice of cereals, fried breakfast with toast.

The welcome was very friendly, as was the service throughout. A wonderful place, a gem, just overlooking the station and a 5 minute walk from the football ground.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a twin room with a friend for a football weekend. The room was not en-suite but the adjacent bathroom was shared with only one other room and was very clean and spacious.

The room itself was fine, clean and comfortable but decor maybe a little dated.

The welcome and hospitality were excellent and the breakfast very good. Parking can be difficult but we were early enough to use a resident's pass.

Don't expect 4/5 star comfort but if you want an excellent value comfortable option, this is fine. Handy for the station and city centre.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I had such a wonderful stay at the Abbey Hotel. Mandy and David are the loveliest people and are so warm and welcoming. The hotel is very clean, quiet and in an ideal location. Some people say the decor is dated but I found it charming and personal, the opposite of the impersonal, more clinical chains of budget hotels. The breakfast is amazing too :) If you want a comfortable, pleasant and memorable stay in Norwich (for all the right reasons) I couldn't recommend the Abbey and its wonderful hosts highly enough. I will definitely be returning to the Abbey Hotel when I next visit Norfolk. Thank you :) x

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2013

If you strongly prefer four or five star international hotels, then this is probably not something for you. If you like prefer small, friendly hotel at a good price, then this is something more like it.
I arrived early which was not a problem, as I had advised that beforehand. Room was fine, but not luxury. Had everything I needed. Bath room recently redone. Host very friendly and helpful. English breakfast as one could hope for. Here you get good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Ideal for one night's B&B, there are two single rooms sharing shower & toilet, but you get what you pay for. Not too expensive and you get a very good English breakfast. Easy to get to the city centre of Norwich as you can hop a bus from the forecourt of the railway station just along the road or it's just as easy to walk if you feel fit. I enjoyed my stay here recently so much that I've booked again for another night out in Norwich with my work colleagues!

Room Tip: If you want to pay more, you can choose en suite.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is hardly a 5* luxury retreat, but it never claims to be. You get exactly what you pay for, and some decent customer service on top. Having shared shower/toilet facilities is not perfect, but it's only a small guest house and I never had a problem with it. The room was small but just what you need if you don't plan on being in it all the time - bed, sink, TV, towel, tea & coffee, and a couple of spare plug sockets.

One bonus to this place is the free breakfast, which makes it great value for money. The staff are welcoming and friendly, and always try to make you feel welcome. Well worth a stay if you're watching the pennies, and certainly better than some budget chain hotels. It's also right by the train station, with direct bus services through town to UEA.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo