“Viewed with suspicion”

Holiday Inn Norwich City
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed July 14, 2010

We originally booked a 2 for 1 stay here back in May and paid in advance. Nearer the time of our visit we realised we need to arrive a day later than intended as we were attending our eldest son's graduation. I spoke to a very helpful girl at the hotel and she moved our dates forward and confirmed there would be no extra to pay.
On arrival I mentioned to the man at check in how helpful she was regarding our date change, this seemed to set in motion a change in attitude where he went off to check our booking we were firstly told we had only paid for one night, then that we had not paid sufficient deposit. Eventually he agreed everything was ok but I had the impression he felt we were out to con him, not a pleasant situation.
Normally when we visit our elder son we stay in the Premier Inn in Duke Street and cannot praise them enough, but as we had our 17 year old with us we booked a family room here.
At check out the scenario was repeated stating I had only paid for one night. I was not asked whether we had enjoyed our stay and because I found the attitude so intimidating I omitted to complain about the state of the carpet in the room resembling a murder scene covered with blood, red wine or food spills.
Not a good experience and our on next visit to Norwich we will be back to the Premier Inn.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank joybloggs
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2010

Thank you for choosing to stay with ourselves, whilst attending your sons’ graduation. I regret and apologise that your check in leading ultimately to your check out was not a reflection of our normal service levels, coupled with that the bedroom carpet. This stain has been treated previously to no avail; we are working with our owners to replace this carpet. Regrettably on this occasion this room had to be used, which in turn further impacted upon your stay. I understand your reluctance to repeat your stay at the Holiday Inn Norwich City, and respect your decision to stay with my colleagues at The Duke Street Premier Travel Inn who also have a commendable level of service. I trust should your needs bring to Norwich in the future and you are unable to be accommodated at that venue you would again consider ourselves as the choice for your stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,014)

Reviewed July 13, 2010

The hotel is good, clean and write behind the football pitch. But I ordered room service, It came looking like it had sat on the shelf for a couple of weeks, then when returned came back looking not much better.
I order a main and a dessert, but it only came with a knife and fork, so nothing to eat dessert with. Well it had melted anyway from waiting for hte main to be returned.

Oh dear, try better!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review following your recent stay and your room service experience. As with all reviews I sent and discussed your review with my management team in Food & Beverage. We will try better, and we will get it right. Please accept our apologies for the lack of attention you received, and to further compound your dissatisfaction with the missing spoon. We’re always trying and always moving forward, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, best regards General Manager

Reviewed July 2, 2010

I stayed here with colleagues whilst attending a show in Norwich. The location is pretty good, being round the corner from the main train station, 5 mins walk from the Riverside leisure park (with cinema, bars and a few chain restaurants) and attached to the Carrow Road football ground. It's a little further into town (about 20 mins walk or a short taxi ride) but it's worth it for the excellent choice of shopping and restaurants.

The presentation of the hotel is good and it's clearly well cared for with pleasant and helpful staff.

The only downside was that I felt it a little expensive for what it was. My room was a standard double with a view of the car park which cost £145 per night, yet once you'd added on parking at £5 per night, broadband at £10 for anything over 1hr (up to 24hrs) and breakfast at an extra £10 per day it starts to look quite expensive, especially given that although the hotel isn't far from the action you certainly wouldn't describe it as city centre. It also lacks a pool unlike many Holiday Inns .

I didn't eat dinner in the hotel so can't judge that however the breakfast was of a decent enough standard (the only slight caveat being that it would be nice if they cooked eggs to order rather than having them sat out under the lights).

All in all though a decent enough experience and I would go back.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Norwich City, your, review, and intention to return at some point in the future. I’m pleased you noted our care and attention and the attitude of the team, this means a lot to us.
Our room pricing does fluctuate in line with demand with cheaper options such as Advance Purchase but this can less flexible. Our additional charges are in the main tailored to our feedback, for example breakfasts purchased in advance are cheaper, and the internet 24hrs actually lasts for a period of two weeks i.e. 24 hrs usage, which suits many of regular guests. Outside of events our rates are competitive with many of the hotels and major brands in Norwich; together with the unique location our property provides a good base for any stay.

Reviewed July 2, 2010

I have staid at the hotel on my birthday , the restaurant staff were great, the reception well informed, the area was fantastic, the duty manager was a true help, a big Thank You

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2010

As a Platinum member of Holiday Inn's loyalty scheme, I was looking for somewhere to stay for two nights on a work trip to Norwich and booked in advance at this hotel. The hotel was standard Holiday Inn fare - clean, efficient and business like. Quite a big hotel. Walkable, although a reasonable stretch, to City centre.
Building work was being done in the adjacent football ground during my stay and I found the noise intrusive during working hours.
Tray charge for room service is excessive.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2010

Thank you for posting your review to trip advisor and your positive ratings for which my colleagues and I are grateful. I’m pleased that we were able to welcome a recognized supporter of our family of brands to the Holiday Inn Norwich City. My team will be encouraged by the noted cleanliness and efficiency, and will I’m sure re look at our level of care, as we are normally praised for our friendliness, it would appear in being ‘business like’ this was not apparent during you visit for which we must apologise.
I have noted your comments as to the building work in progress and due for completion by the end of July 2010, taking place in the Football Club next door. Whilst this out of our control, I am aware that works only take place from 8.00 am to 5.30 daily naturally with a large property should any guest wish to move rooms it would be our normal practice to oblige availability permitting.
I trust we should be able to welcome you back to the Hotel under better circumstances should your needs bring you to Norwich in the future, and thank you once again.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

A very comfortable hotel next door to Norwich football ground and about 15 minutes walk from the main city centre. The room I had was a very good size with 2 double beds and everything was modern and well-maintained. Work commitments meant I didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel, but I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to complete your Tripadvisor Review, Myself and my colleagues are pleased that you found our hotel met with your satisfaction and needs during your business stay. Thank you for mentioning that in future you would consider a return visit. I trust at that time you’ll be able to experience more of the service in the hotel, and the facilities on offer; such as our newly installed 3D TV to help with viewing of some of the up and coming world cup matches in our comfortable bar area. Thank you once again.

Reviewed May 19, 2010

Having now stayed at this hotel several times over the last couple of years whilst visiting friends, I have never once been let down by the level of service, the friendliness of all the staff and the sheer quality of the hotel. The rooms are modern, spacious and very clean. I think one thing that has impressed me the most is that the standards have never once dropped. Definitely the best hotel in Norwich.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2010

Thank you posting your review to Trpadvisor following you recent stay.
Myself and my colleagues are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the facilities again to your liking. It was encouraging to read of your support for the hotel, and your recognition of our aim to deliver commendable friendly service time after time. It always makes our daily welcome to many visitors to Norwich and to The Holiday Inn Norwich City all the satisfying to receive comments such as yours, Thank you again.