“faultless stay for a competitive price”

Holiday Inn Norwich City
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed Saturday and Sunday night, 2 people, B & B in an exec double room for £240 total. Large, comfy room with bath and shower, pleasant helpful service from friendly staff. Quiet location (so long as you check there is no home match at the adjoining football ground). Buffet breakfast did not have quite the extent of choice of, say, the Hilton or Novotel chains but was ample for our needs and it is good to see waste kept to a minimum. Staff numbers are kept to a minimum but this didn't affect the service, and is no doubt one of the reasons for the competitive price. Nice to see the (approachable) Manager works from a small office next to the reception desk and keeps his door open.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steveH51
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you very much for your review about our hotel and I'm really pleased you had such a good stay with us. The team as you saw all work really hard to ensure all of our guests have a stay to remember and we're delighted you've been able to write such kind comments about us.

The rooms are excellent and as you have pointed out very good value for money. Whilst It can be very busy on a match day it's only on the run up to the kick off after it's finished the hotel returns to normal and most people if they have been out for the day don't even realise a match has taken place, so please don't be put off by the fact we have a game as after 6.00pm you'd have no idea it had happened.

Breakfast is lovely and has a great selection of over 50 items which I was pleased you enjoyed.

I try to meet as many guests as possible and the easiest way of doing this was to locate myself next to the reception desk with my door permanently open if I'm in the building, which as you found yourselves makes it very easy for you to pop your head in and say hello.

I meet so many people this way and regular guests always call in at some point during their stay which is really beneficial to everybody. I'm glad you liked this and found me to be approachable, it's so important that we take any feedback either good or bad before a client leaves and by locating myself where I am I'm usually able to do this.

Thank you once again for your comments and I'm glad we had the chance to talk briefly before you left.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

A bit weird to experience for the first time, but the hotel basically is part of the foootball ground. If you like football, than this would be an excellent hotel to watch the match. I am not a football fan, however, so I judge the hotel from a business traveller point of view:
It is reasonably located, easy to reach, but a little far from the city centre. The rooms are nice and clean, staff is friendly and when there is no match, prices are decent.
The one thing I don't like about the hotel is the shortage of parking space in front of the hotel.

For business stays, this is a good hotel, it offers everything you need. For a football fan, it is great. For leasure travellers, I would look for a more appealing hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We are next to the ground so we do get busy on a match day. We generally only have two games a month so they don't normally impact on the business week.

We are a very popular corporate hotel midweek and are usually full at the weekend with leisure guests so we are a really popular location as you will see from our previous reviews.

People like our location to the Riverside complex and the fact you can walk into the city within about 15 minutes along the side of the river or along King Street which brings you directly into the centre.

Our car park is located at the rear of the property and parking at the front of the hotel is on a first come first served basis as spaces are limited however there is ample parking at the rear for all of our guests. As you have seen there is no further space to extend the front car park so I can't help you on that one I'm afraid.

All of the team are great and work really hard to ensure all of our guests have a stay to remember so thank you for mentioning them and the standard of the cleanliness in the rooms it's much appreciated by us all.

I hope the car parking does not put you off returning to our hotel and thanks again for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The staff really made this hotel, every member of staff I met was friendly and polite, many other places could learn a lot about customer service from the excellent staff here.
Room was lovely and clean.
Breakfast delicious and loads of choice, love the 'kids eat free' deal.
Quieter than expected as a match taking place at Carrow Road.
Really pleasently surprised, definately going back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzy J
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you for your review about our hotel. All of the team are delighted that you found them all to be so friendly and polite, we pride ourselves on the fact that we do get great customer feedback regarding the team on a regular basis and it is well deserved because each and everyone of us go the extra mile to ensure our guests have a stay to remember.

Our housekeeping team work really hard to ensure that every room looks as good as it was the day we opened over 5 years ago so I'm really pleased you've mentioned how clean and tidy everything was. Karen and the team are chuffed to get a personal mention in your review.

Breakfast is a regular winner here and most of our reviews mention how good it is and how much choice there is making it great value for money.

We all really appreciate you taking the time to tell us your thoughts and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Thanks again

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My second visit at this hotel within 6 months. I cannot fault it, the staff are extremely friendly, the rooms are spotless and the breakfast is of good quality. If you need anything cooking fress it is not a problem, like poached eggs which are not out on the breakfast platter.
The Carrow Road pitch side view rooms are slightly quieter than the roadside rooms but nothing to worry about. The hotel has a small gym which has enough equipment to have a good workout but would be full if more than 5 people were in at one time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank RobsterWirral
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thank you for your review about our hotel and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your second visit with us as much as the first.

All of the team really appreciate your feedback as it shows them that their efforts are being rewarded, all of the team as you said are very friendly and will always go that extra mile to ensure you have a stay to remember.

Thanks for mentioning the standard of the rooms Karen and her team work really hard to ensure the rooms look like they did when we first opened over five years ago now and I think they are doing a great job achieving that.

Our breakfast is superb and aswell as having your eggs cooked to order we have some great specials available which include smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and eggs Benidict both firm favorites with our regular guests and included in the price of breakfast.

Our mini gym is well used and it is a pity it's not a bit bigger but we do have complimentary access for all of our guests to the pool at the opposite end of the football stadium so for any future visits if you feel like a swim just collect your voucher from reception and away you go.

Thank you once again for your review and your kind comments and I hope we can welcome you back for a third time in the near future.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our stay started well when we were able to park right outside the hotel. Parking costs £5 for 24 hours which is good value. Thee receptionist was pleasant, asking us what newspapers we wanted and giving us a map of the town centre. Our room had a pitch view which I guess would appeal to footballl fans. The room was large and pleasant. We were only there for a night and went straight into Norwich to look around and do a spot of sightseeing. Our route took us across a busy road, through a Morrisons car park and across some waste ground.
On our return to the hotel we had planned an evening of television watching - we had come to relax after a tiring week - and were astonished to find such a poor selection of channels to watch in a hotel of this kind.
The next morning, we were looking forward to a lie-in reading the papers we had requested. They were not outside the door as I had expected. Life got worse when I was not able to shower - the water was cold (this was before 10.00am).
On enquiring at reception for our newspapers we found that they had not been ordered and were not available.
On a more positive note the breakfast was good with a wide choice of items and eggs cooked to order.
I should point out that the receptionist was most apologetic and we were given a discount on the cost of our night's stay because of the lack of hot water. However, I feel that if the hotel were aware of the problem as was suggested it might have been a good idea to warn people on arrival.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marchhare83
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Trip Advisor and I'm sorry your stay was not as good as you hoped it would be.

I'm not sure when you stayed but we have in the last week added another 10 channels to our TV system, Sky Sports 1,2,3 and 4 plus another 6 digital channels. We do intend to add all the freeview channels in the near future, unfortunately when the hotel opened 5 years ago the televisions available did not have the same technology as they do today, it is something we are working on.

I was really sorry to hear about your newspapers not being delivered I'm certain there must have been a reason for this but I do understand the inconvenience, did you call reception and ask where they were? As we are so close to Morrisons I'm sure we could have got some to you within 5 minutes if we'd known they had not got to you.

We did have an issue with the hot water which was caused by an airlock in the system it was rectified as quickly as possible but it did require the water to be run for a number of minutes to get the hot through so again sorry for the inconvenience.

I was very pleased to see you enjoyed your breakfast and that a member of the team reduced your final bill on check out in recognition of the problems you'd encountered.

Thanks once again for taking the time to post your review and I hope you will not be put off from visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here for two nights, Thursday and Friday. The recent reviews have got all the main points exactly right, so I will just add a couple of details.

The great bargain here is the suites, which comprise a standard bedroom plus a living room that’s about 1.5 x the size of a bedroom, with the two rooms separated by a door that closes. The living room has a large L-shaped desk, a large and very comfortable sofa, one easy chair, a small round dining table with four chairs, a fridge, and a second flat-screen TV. I paid £155.95 (inc. breakfast) for Thursday and £140.95 for Friday. Unfortunately, there are only four suites in the hotel.

The only (and I mean only) problem I found with this hotel was the internet service. First, it is cable-only in the rooms, so if you have one of the latest generation of laptops which tend not to have an Ethernet port, you are out of luck unless you have a USB/Ethernet adapter. (Wireless available in the lobby is irrelevant so far as I’m concerned.) Second, the bandwidth provided is totally inadequate, averaging 2 Mbps down and only 0.2 up throughout my stay. This will not even support Skype, so I had to use my mobile to make expensive calls back to the US.

I had dinner in the hotel restaurant both evenings, and found the food to be delicious (and hot) and the staff friendly and efficient.

Otherwise, in line with the other reviews, I found the hotel facilities and staff to be perfect (probably the first time I’ve ever used that word in a review). The location is pretty good too, at least for a tourist, with a vast supermarket and a Boots just across the street, and the city center a pleasant 15-minute walk along the riverside.

Room Tip: Choose a suite. Spacious, comfortable and silent.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Westonian
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for your review about our hotel. We are all delighted you had such a great stay with us and that you enjoyed one of our super suites.

We do only have four unfortunately but everybody who stays in them are amazed by the size of the lounge in particular and as you stated you got a very good deal when you stayed with us.

We are dealing with the internet issues and within the next few weeks we should have wireless connectivity throughout the hotel, it is top of my list of things to get done as quickly as possible.

The speed should also improve within the next few months to as fibre optic will be available at the end of the year in our area.

The team are really chuffed you found them to be perfect, we strive to ensure every guest has a stay to remember and I'm really pleased we we're able to make your stay with us one you will not forget.

Thank you once again for your feedback it really is appreciated by us all and I hope we'll be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the not to distant future.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed here whilst visiting relatives. The reception staff were pleasant and efficient during check in and the room was of a good quality and comfort. The bathroom was large and the shower was powerful. We didn't eat at the hotel but chose to walk into the city centre which took about twenty minutes. This is the first time we have used this hotel but wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Gyvilla
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Whilst your stay was only brief it's great to know you'll be coming back to stay with us again when you next visit the city.

All of the rooms are a really good standard and I'm delighted you liked both the quality and size of the room and the bathroom. The showers are very good and we frequently get comments about them.

The reception team are very pleased to be mentioned personally as they always like to go that extra mile to ensure every guest has a warm, friendly and personal check-in and check-out of the hotel.

Thank you once again for your comments and I hope you return to both the city and the hotel in the near future.