“A great couple of days, a few niggles though.”

Holiday Inn Norwich City
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I booked into this hotel to watch Wolverhampton Wanderers take on Norwich City. On the whole, my visit was very enjoyable but there were a couple of sticking points. I want to get these out of the way first:

The first room I was given hadn't been cleaned - the floor was strewn with rubbish, the dustbin was full and it generally smelled like a brewery. The staff however were very helpful on this note and gave me an upgrade to a room with a view of the pitch (which I must admit I'll be back for at the next opportunity!).

The food and drink was very expensive - I'd highly suggest that you eat out. There are countless great restaurants in the area, and after the match I did choose to eat out. £4.50 for a fairly average bottle of beer PLUS a £4.50 tray charge made for a eye-watering visit to the bar before bed. Surely they make enough profit on a bottle of beer that overpriced without adding an additional £4.50 captive audience charge? I'll most certainly be bringing my own drinks next time I visit.

As I mentioned the staff were very helpful with the problem I had after checking in. My room was on the third floor and was very well appointed as you would expect. The bed was comfortable and the usual selection of teas, coffees and biscuits awaited you upon arrival.

I took some time out on the Saturday morning to visit the city centre. There's a great array of shops to suit all sorts of different tastes. The Jarrold department store is definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: The hotel of choice for any football fan whose team is playing away at Norwich. Do pay that little b...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Thank you for your review and I'm really happy that we dealt with your room move fast and efficently. I have checked why you were placed in an unserviced room and it was put back on as a clean room by mistake. Human error unfortunately and my apologies once again.

The pitch view rooms are fantastic and are well worth that bit extra to enjoy the game in comfort and style and of course warmth!

A tray charge of £4.50 is put on a room sevice order only so I'm sorry if you did not notice this on the menu on your interactive television. It is only for room service and had you told us that you were not happy with the charge on check out I'm sure we could have looked at it for you.

I'm glad you'll be coming back when you're next here for the football and when you do please feel free to say hello as my office is right next to the reception desk. It's always good to get direct feedback from repeat guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your stay your review it's much appreciated.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed here recently on a weekend break with my wife. We picked a weekend when Norwich City were playing away and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
The hotel is easy to find and is within walking distance of the city centre shops and restaurants. There is plenty of parking when there is not a match on although you have to pay for the privilege. As a platinum member of priority club, I normally get free parking.
We had a room on the top floor and it was large and clean with a modern décor. The only downside was that it was overlooking the road and there was considerable road noise in the night so ask for a pitch view if you like to have your windows open at night.
The bar was clean and the bar staff very friendly and helpful. We did not use the restaurant as we prefer to eat out and explore.
It was an easy 10 minute walk into the centre of the historic city and there are plenty of good restaurants around the area. We found a stunning Indian on the road out of town and a really nice traditional restaurant in the city.
Overall it was an enjoyable stay and we will stay again if visiting Norwich.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a pitch view
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yorkshireman abroad
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Thank you very much for your review we really appreciate it and we are delighted you had such a great stay with us.

Next time you visit let us know you require a room away from the road and we'd be happy to accommodate your request. With the windows closed you barely hear anything but we fully understand many people like sleeping with windows open so this is easily rectified.

There are a number of excellent restaurants close by but we also have an extensive menu with a number of specials which are freshly prepared and great value for money that leave our competitors standing!

Norwich is a superb city and has so much to offer everybody from its shopping through to its history, castle and museums and not forgetting the North Norfolk coast and the magical Norfolk Broads. One visit is not enough to pack it all in so we look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Strangely located adjacent to one corner of Carrow Road stadium, Holiday Inn caters predominantly for the business traveller (and presumably travelling football fans during the season). It’s not going to win any prizes for beautiful location, but the area is perfectly safe to walk around. Having said that, Norwich is a surprisingly beautiful city – don’t let Alan Partridge put you off, Norwich is well worth a visit as a city break, and despite it’s business clientele, Holiday Inn is well located to visit the city.

Not the largest of Holiday Inns, but very friendly and helpful reception staff at check-in.
Must have a new chef who is keen to shift some experimental Moroccan cuisine, as I was asked by no less than three different people if I wanted to book a table for the Moroccan night, before I had even reached the lift! In fact I did not dine in the hotel, as the city is only a short walk away (past the railway station and aim for the cathedral spire – easy!) and there is a good selection of restaurants there.

Rooms are spacious and clean. If they have not been recently refurbished, then they are certainly wearing well, as I could not fault the standard of decor or maintenance. TV has a limited number of satellite channels, but enough to keep you entertained – if you’re visiting this hotel just to watch TV, then you are sadder than me, and that’s saying something!
Bathroom is clean and spacious too – separate large shower (none of your “over the bath stuff”), so great for those who prefer a shower.

Breakfast is buffet style – nothing special, but selection of hot and cold foods available – certainly good enough for me. What did annoy me, however, was cost of breakfast. I noticed that I had paid £16 over the basic “Room Only” rate to get B&B rate. However, there is a sign at reception saying that Priority Club card holders can get a “breakfast voucher” for £11. I only noticed this after I checked out – not much difference for an individual, but if you’re a family, it all adds up.

Overall, it’s a good hotel – I have stayed here before and will do so again, so I guess that’s a recommendation.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Thanks for your review I really appreciate it. It was our first Moroccan night hence the enthusiasm to book people in for it! It was very successful and went down well with our clients who we try and offer a varied menu to alongside our core menu. Our food is freshly prepared and good value for money so next time you stay give us a try.

I'm can't comment on your breakfast rate but it seems wrong to me! Next time you stay call into my office which is right next to the reception desk and we can recall your bill and check it and ammend as is required.

The hotel is 150 bedrooms so quite deceiving when you first look at it and its the second largest in the Norwich area. It's been open over four years and not refurbished we just all look after it really well and for our efforts we won Hotel of the Year, Reception Team of the Year and Housekeeping Team of the Year on the 23rd March 2012.

The city is stunning and steeped in history dating back to the Norman Conquest, Norwich Castle was actually built by the Norman's. Next time you visit take a trip up to the North Norfolk coast it's only a 45 minute drive away but there are some stunning areas of natural beauty, huge expanses of wonderful beaches and delightful villages.

Thanks again for your review all of the team see them and discuss them and please do call in and see me to resolve you rate issue on your next visit.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

The hotel is in a good position only a 5 minute walk from teh railway station and in one corner of Norwich City Football Ground. The check-in was efficient, the room on the 4th floor was spacious and clean. for the price. Wodd definately stay here agin if visiting Norwich.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks very much for your comments about our hotel. We strive to ensure that people can relax and enjoy themselves from the moment they check in until their departure and we seem to be achieving our goal.

Your review as all others are discussed as soon as they are posted so thank you again for helping us to achieve the results we are achieving.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

The problem with Norwich is that it has very few modern hotels, and however good a modernisation of an old property is, it’s never the same as a purpose built hotel. Once this property opened, it outshone anything else in the area; it’s not only modern and spacious, but very reasonable priced. It’s an unusual idea to build a hotel into a football stadium, some rooms overlook the pitch, but it works. Breakfast is good, although it’s usually a buffet, if there are only a few guests, they will still cook you a fresh breakfast. Dinner is not so impressive, but Delia’s is just the other side of the stadium, but book first. Staff are super friendly and helpful and the rooms are spacious and well equipped. Plenty of car parking, but you really need a car to get into the city centre; otherwise it’s a 15 minute walk. This is far far the best hotel in Norwich, look no further. It’s well worth one star more than it has. If you are travelling by rail, Norwich station is 5 minutes away.

Room Tip: They are all good, you can ask for a room overlooking the football pitch, but it costs extra. The ex...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Thanks for posting your review and for the very positive feedback you have given us. We do the buffet breakfast for speed of service as I'm sure you understand as we do on average 110 plus breakfasts each morning. We are constantly striving to enhance our guest dinner experience and to this end we now offer homemade pizza, a carvery and Moroccan specials alongside our core menu all of which are being well received. I hope on your next visit you get to try one of our new dishes and enjoy it as much as our other guests are. Thanks again for your comments we really appreciate you taking the time to let us how we are doing.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Having recently stayed at the other Holiday Inn in Norwich and been disappointed with it I was happy to return to the Carrow Road HI.

I had a pitch view room on the first floor. The room was, as usual with HI's, very clean and had a nice desk from which to work in the evenings.

The bed was large and comfortable and I slept very well. The room was made up well each day with the bed being made with what my wife calls "hospital corners" ie the duvet being tucked and folded.

I ate in the bar area each night which is clean with a TV at each end so you can watch whatever sports they are showing. The food at this HI is much much better than most other HI's I've stayed at and is better value too. Is this Delias' influence? The bar is ok with the usual selection of drinks and spirits. Table service can be a bit slow when they are busy.

Breakfast was very good but not all items were available from 630 when the breakfast service starts. However, the waiting staff offered to bring the items I wanted before everything was put out.

Car parking is round the side of the hotel and they charge £4.95 per night for it. I think it's a bit cheeky to charge for parking when in reality the customers don't have much choice about it. Anyhow just be prepared for this on your bill unless your room rate includes it.

All the staff were cheerful, polite and helpful.

Defintely preferred over the other Norwich HI. Consider Marriott Sprowston Manor as an alternative for business travellers.

Room Tip: Probably avoid rooms near the lifts. Check beforehand if there's a football match on as the hote...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your very positive review about our hotel. We always try and give 110% to everything we do and this shows in the great feedback we are getting through TA.

I've spoken to the breakfast team about the missing items and this should not be an issue for you on future visits! Our food is our own creation and whilst Delia is around the corner we design our own menus and cook our meals to order but thank you for giving us a "Delia" accolade.

Unfortunately the car park is owned by the football club so hence the charge. Sorry!

Whilst "Lift" rooms can be percieved as noisy please see other reviews about how quiet they are and they have great views of the football pitch so worth a go next time! Match days do get busy but there is a superb atmosphere around the hotel and we parking attendants working throughout to ensure wherever possible all of our guests are parked up within our car parks as they arrive.

Hope my feedback helps for future visits and thanks again for your review of our hotel.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

The rooms are very comfortable although the choice of TV chanels is limited, thet don't even have a full set of free view chanels. The breakfast is first rate.
However you should avoid the restraunt, there is a large selection within a five minute walk.
On Saturday evening we and another couple went down there and had to wait an age and then
some items from the menu were missing. The next day being mothers' day we were advised to book up and make our selection from the menu which we did. When we wnt down at 1 p.m. there was only one other group there. This seemed odd for mothers' day lunch time. After a long wait we were served, the portions were generous but the beef was very tough. After another long wait for desert we were told that the items which we ordered the night before had sold out. The one redeming feature was that they produced a bunch of flowers for each of the two ladies.

Room Tip: It depends on if you are a football fan if Norwich are playing at home.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and apologies for the terrible service you received in our restaurant on both visits. This is not a normal occurance and there was no need for it to happen. I have spoken to Chef and his team and the restaurant team and both departments have asked to be associated in my apology for the poor service they offered. Whilst there are a number of restaurants close by we do normally offer really good high quality food at very good value for money so on your next visit please give us the benefit of the doubt and try our restaurant again, it is as good as the breakfast! The TV channels will be upgraded in the next 6 weeks as will our wifi and radio channels. Thank you again for your review it is very useful to me and the team.