“Great Hotel”

Holiday Inn Norwich City
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed March 26, 2011

A very nice hotel right next to Norwich Football Club. My room actually overlooked a corner of the pitch, although there wasn't a match on or anything. I would imagine that the rooms with a pitch vantage point commend a premium price on matchdays and are probably booked well in advance. I didn't eat at the hotel in the evening but the breakfast was very good. The car park was good but I would imagine it's a bit of a problem on matchdays, especially if you didn't go for the football. A very nice clean and efficient hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2011

Thank you for your review following your recent stay, myself and my colleagues are pleased that several aspects of the Holiday Inn Norwich City met with your approval. Many of the rooms regardless of type are reserved on match days, however this is usually dependant on the nature of the game, parking this far has not caused ourselves an issue although we recommend that you allow time in your journey as traffic can be heavy at times. I was pleased that you commented upon the cleanliness and efficiency, it is worthwhile that our daily endeavours are recognized.

Reviewed March 21, 2011

Check-in was fine, although we had to ask for a daily paper. (I did hear the receptionist ask the person checking in after us if he required one.)
We expected a king size bed, as we had last time, but we were allocated a room with 2 double beds - hardly conducive to a romantic weekend! It also meant there was less floor space and the room layout more limited. The room was pleasingly decorated, but there were loads of red stains on the carpet (hope it wasn't blood!)
There was plenty of storage, with a decent hairdrier, iron and ironing board.
The bathroom was ok, though the soap dish had 2 big chips in it, the towels were hard and scratchy and the overflow hole in the wash basin needed attention (it was black inside).
I do not think the hotel was well occupied on the Friday night as there was no hot buffet at breakfast the following day. We had to order hot food and ours arrived half way through eating our cereal, so it sat around for a bit. The restaurant was also very cold that morning.
On the Sunday morning, there was a hot as well as cold buffet at breakfast. I had just helped myself to some scrambled egg and was about to take some bacon, when a member of the kitchen staff whipped the dish away from under my nose. I had to wait for her to return. I did not hang around long enough for her to replenish the grilled tomato, which had run out completely (unlike the bacon). Why can they not bring in more supplies in another dish, rather than take away the only one?
Check-out was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

Thank you for posting your review recently, I ensured that my management team have both a copy and read your comments as well as our breakfast team; I agree that we should replenish first and have trained this into the team to avoid future repetition. It was disappointing to read that we had not the foresight nor considered you at this time.
We are also currently sourcing a cost effective replacement for the soap dishes and will be able to replace a significant number in due course. At times of low occupancy we do serve our breakfasts via the table menus, which naturally provides the choice of our normal buffet operation commented upon throughout these reviews, I regret that the team were too prompt in their service.
Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed March 19, 2011

Stayed here for one night and it was a really lovely hotel

Very modern and clean

Must better qualtiy then other main chain hotels and that even includes a Jurys Inn I stayed at in london

The bathroom and rooms were really good quality, if I had to say anything bad it was that the bed was only a double. My husband is 6ft and this was quite a squeeze!!

Only other downside was when I booked I was told they would send me a rewards card so I could collect points however I have not recieved this yet

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for detailing your comments via your tripadvisor review, I’m pleased that you have highlighted the cleanliness of our rooms and bathrooms. I know that our team will be pleased when reading your comments. I’m sorry that you did not receive the Rewards card, Priority Rewards is one of the largest accommodation hotel recognition schemes in the world and very popular with users, Should you be able to contact us further I will gladly ensure your enrollment. I have ensured that both my Front desk team and colleagues in reservations are made aware of your comments.
Thank you once again for your constructive and informative review.

Reviewed March 13, 2011

If you're going to the football at Carrow Road, the hotel is superb - I've stayed at the hotel a couple of times a year since it opened in 2007, and have never had anything less than an enjoyable stay - even when on the losing side.
If you're not going to the football, a couple of things to bear in mind - it is a good 15 mins walk from the City Centre (although only 5 mins from the Station) and you really won't want to be there on a matchday - the bar is a favoured watering hole before and after the game, the stadium is almost always full for games and can be noisy, and getting away after a game will take a long time.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review, we’re pleased you had an enjoyable stay and thank you for your continued support. Our Match day procedures as one can appreciate after four years are well practiced; we are pleased that the days pass without incident, enjoying a friendly atmosphere throughout the hotel. Granted it’s busy and this is the same of any venue close to a ground as well supported as Norwich City.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed February 18, 2011

Overall this is a fine hotel, its what you expect for a Holiday Inn.

Pros:
- the restaurant food, although the menu was not extensive, was very nice.
- plenty of space in both the bathroom and bedroom for possessions
- clean and tidy, looks very new
- decent curtains to block out light

Cons:
- the teperature in the shower was variable - either scalding or freezing, I am glad I didn't have children using that shower!
- the min gym is far too mini, very limited equipment (one treadmill, one bike, one cross trainer, one rowing machine and a few free wights). People "hog" the equipment rather than being considerate of other people and so you can be standing around for a very long time between machines, and hence getting cold. There are no signs asking you to respect other people (which may or may not help)
- room service do not listen to your rquests (ie I asked for no butter/spread on my toast when I ordered scrambled eggs on toast but it came with lots of spread on it)
- TV channels and quality are very limited. Programmes would flicker with pciture and sound cutting out.
- noisy when there are football matches on and the car park entrance is shared with parking for the football stadium

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, your recent posting to trip advisor and detailed comments I trust they will prove helpful to our future customers. Naturally we have a comprehensive audited preventative maintenance system in place and regret that you have found some difficulty with the facilities provided.
I note with interest the mini gym information, and will trial your improvement idea, the mini gym with current Lifefitness equipment which would not be out place in any membership only national chain gyms is ideal for those with fitness as part of their daily regime.
Occasionally it is difficult on match days to avoid crowds and associated noise, as commented on in previous reviews the sound proofing is excellent in the majority and the atmosphere at the family friendly club of Norwich City does not give cause for concern. We do lease excellent parking facilities, and on match days one of our team members is always on duty pre match to welcome our guests in the car park to avoid any confusion between the two venues.
My team will welcome the opportunity to improve in room service, and this will I know be received positively. I’m pleased we “did as it said on the tin” having this week successfully passed two independent external audits and recently picked up an international award for Quality excellence, consistently meeting our customer expectations is praise indeed. I trust should your needs bring you to Norwich in the future we will be able to welcome you back the Holiday Inn Norwich City. Best regards

Reviewed January 26, 2011

Great value for money, a stones throw away from the football stadium where I relaxed and enjoyed a beverage or two. Good value for money and even better location.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
GeneralManagerNWICR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich City, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

Thank you for recent Tripadvisor contribution, we are pleased that you were able to relax, wind down in a great location, knowing that it’s all great value. We have recently introduced an even greater reduced pricing available as an advance purchase some 21 days prior to your stay. For those who can guarantee their stay date this can represent exceptional value.

Reviewed January 24, 2011

Had a pitch view room which was excellent.
The bar and food service in the bar area was very good. I'd recommend having the Chicken Peri Peri which although a bit expensive was very good.
The gym is a bit small but adequate for what it is.
Car parking is a short walk from the hotel but no problems there although it is £5 per night.
All staff very friendly and good.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your review of The Holiday Inn Norwich City and your posting to Tripadvisor. Thank you for highlighting several of the many strengths of our team and property, I trust your review will prove valuable to our future guests. I’m pleased we were able to meet your expectations during your stay.