“Fantastic small, friendly hotel”

St Giles House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Lancashire
“Fantastic small, friendly hotel”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stay here quite often for work and love it. The rooms are all individually designed and lovely. Staff can't do enough for you and the food is excellent - especially the breakfast. Don't think twice about booking.

Room Tip: All rooms I've stayed in are lovely. I would probably recommend staying on the top floor as the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We originally only booked our anniversary meal here because there were not that many nice restaurants to choose from on a Sunday night, however I am very glad we did. The staff were very friendly and the food was very lovely. We would definitely come back here again

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The food and service was great but the room was cold and unclean we spent the night there on the offer they had on on their web site ! the room they gave us was cold unclean and the noise of the traffic and passing people all night long was so bad that in the middle of the night we checked out we were not offered another room but left room less we ended up paying £90 for a taxi to get home if you book this hotel make sure you get a room at the back I would go for lunch again but never stay !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scott M
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
I must admit that I am a little confused by your review and having checked back on our records, would like to make the following points regarding your comments:
- You checked out at 23:10, not the ‘middle of the night’, as suggested. You stated that room was too noisy but refused another room, which was indeed offered.
- You had not booked but, as a room was available, were allowed to check in to your room earlier than our usual check in time. This means that you were in and out of the room for over 10 hours but at no point mentioned that you were unhappy with the cleanliness of the room or give us the opportunity to redress this. I would, in any case, strongly dispute the fact that the room was ‘unclean’ and invite you to call me on 01603 275180 to provide me with more tangible details to support such comments.
- The address that you gave us and also your Tripadvisor username suggest that you live locally so would not have been charged £90 for a taxi home.
- In line with the offer we are currently advertising on our website, you were not charged for your room.
Whilst I do concede that, as we are a city centre hotel there may have been noise from passing cars and pedestrians, I fail to see how at 11pm this could be classed as ‘so bad’ and ‘all night long’ and lead to such a scathing review?
Many thanks,

Joanna Thurling
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

The best bit about the hotel is the location, really close to the centre of town and with some parking as well. The facade of the building is amazing and the architecture flows through to the reception area and the public rooms right at the front of the hotel, but the remainer of the hotel is a cross between a Holiday Inn Express, a Travelodge or a private guest house. I paid £120 and expected a boutique hotel, but was really disappointed with what I got.

The bistro was empty and has no character when I stayed, the rooms were like a home bedroom with towels on the bed - I do that for my mum, i don't expect it in a hotel anymore.

Overall a shame, so much more could be done with the place. Imagine what Hotel du Vin or something similar could do with a building like that. That's what I was hoping for.

On the plus side, it was clean, quiet and warm, so a decent night's sleep.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Ex-seasider
StGilesHouse, Manager at St Giles House Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear that you feel this way about St. Giles. We believe that all rooms are individually and tastefully decorated to the highest standard but appreciate that decor is a very personal thing and that we cannot get it right for everybody.

The Georgian part of the hotel is indeed very grand and whilst we have tried to mirror that throughout, you obviously feel that we have not achieved our aim. A hotel chain like Hotel de Vin may well have the wherewithal to make the interior much more luxurious. However, as a privately owned hotel, operating in a difficult financial climate we are proud of the efforts we have made.

It is certainly regrettable that your experience in the bistro led you to view it as ‘empty and characterless’. Unfortunately for you, a Tuesday evening in early January is not the ideal time to get a real feel for the restaurant’s ambience.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, it is always valuable to hear differing opinions and perceptions of our hotel.

Many Thanks
Norfolk
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend an I stayed hear for 1 night and it was fantastic. The staff were so friendly and helpfull, nothing was to much trouble for them. We ate in the restaurant and the food was very good. I would defiantly recommend this hotel, make sure you look at there website for there deals as they are very good.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at St Giles House Hotel.

Both myself and the team here at St Giles are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly do have some very good deals from time to time, such as our current offer 'Wine Dine and Stay' where your accommodation is absolutely free providing you spend a minimum of £85 on food and drink in our Bistro or our Friday and Sunday Special Dinner, Bed and Breakfast Rates. It is also possible to tie in some luxurious treatments in our Spa with your stay. So do keep up to date with our website for more offers in the future!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I stayed here on new years eve and I was pleasantly surprised. Having seen mixed reviews by other tripadvisor users I was a little concerned about what to expect. Hotel was clean, room was modern and comfy with a well stocked, modestly priced mini bar. Bathroom clean although plughole in shower took forever to drain. Couldn't fault this hotel except to say breakfast was a let down. Flavourless, small portion size and sausage was far too spicy for 9am!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,

I wanted to write to thank you for such positive feedback on your recent visit to St Giles House. Feedback from our Customers is essential to us providing and maintaining the service we offer, and it is great to see our staff, facilities & services are contributing well to making our customer experience a good one.

I am sorry that you did not like the sausages at breakfast, we have not received this feedback before but appreciate that this is your opinion so have passed your comments on to the chef.

I do hope we welcome you back to St Giles House again soon!

Warm Regards,

Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel is a hidden gem. We stayed for one night and will most certainly return. The rooms are well appointed and teh facilities within the hotel excellent. We were pleasently surprised to find paking on site and so much of Norwich within walking distance of the hotel. The staff were very helpful and made good suggetsions to make our stay better.

Room Tip: Look on he website for deals with the spa and bistro. We spotted one to stay a free night if you spe...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such positive feedback on your recent visit to St Giles House, it is great to see our staff, facilities & services all contributed to make your stay with us enjoyable. We are indeed ideally located to explore Norwich and all it has to offer!

I shall certainly pass your comments on to the team here at St. Giles as they take a huge amount of pride in offerring an fantastic customer experience.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm Regards,