“Not peaceful enough for me”

Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Ranked #37 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Oundle
“Not peaceful enough for me”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed here whilst working in Norwich for two days. I like a quiet hotel so that I can relax after a days work, which is why I chose a hotel slightly out of the city centre. Parking is an issue because of the Health club and Asda etc on the same park. I was lucky that there was one space available close to the hotel. The car park was still full the following morning. I received a fabulous friendly and cheerful welcome. I had high hoes at this stage as the hotel is bright and clean. The room was also clean and comfortable with air con. Shower great. The proximity of the health club meant that you can hear the music used for their aerobics and Zumba type classes. So resting early on is nit possible. The music from the classes finished at a reasonable time. However, some 'younger than me' guests were having a party in their room further along the corridor with very loud music. This stopped at 9.30pm when they all left to go clubbing, arriving back at 4am ish. Other guests also arrived in the night and were quite noisy. So a disturbed nights sleep. Breakfast was continental style and buffet. Maybe I was just unlucky as the hotel and staff are pleasant. I wouldn't risk it again though.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are rooms where you would not hear noise as the walls of the rooms are thin.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Noelyne,

Thank you for your custom at Holiday Inn Express Norwich and for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am delighted you received a warm welcome with us on check-in and found your room of a good standard. Our power-showers are also one of the benefits of staying with Holiday Inn Express as they are all made to the Express Brand Standard so we can provide the best morning shower experience for the busy day ahead. Your kind comments will be relayed back to the team for recognition.

I would like to apologise for the negative parts of the stay you experienced and will use this feedback to help improve our standards. I am sorry to hear the music at Virgin Active disturbed your stay as well as the guests in the room located near you. I would like to reassure you that we have a 24 hour reception so guests can call us to inform us of any noise issues so please do not hesitate to do so in the future if you didn't on your recent stay. We strive to provide the best customer service and offer relaxing, comfortable accommodation and will be more than happy to deal with any issues that may arise.

I am sorry you also had difficulty parking. We have contracted a car park agency to monitor our main car park so we can keep spaces for guests at the hotel, however; additional parking can be found on the left of building stretching through to Asda.

If you would like to discuss your stay with us further, please contact me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk

Thank you once again for your stay with us and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business and paid £95 for room & breakfast. I arrived just before 9.30pm and on arrival had to wait to be checked in, there were two receptionists, one was dealing with another customer, the other filing paperwork and had no intention of checking me in! I was then told that they stop serving food at 9.30pm. But they would cook me something if I picked something easy to make off the menu. I chose a pizza which was just OK, but should have been a lot better for £9.95.
Room was basic but clean. The worst point was being woken early morning (5am) with the constant banging of doors from people leaving early.

Overall it's as they advertise at weekends rooms £39. But definitely not worth paying any more.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear AllenP,

Thank you for your custom at our hotel and for taking the time to share your review online.

I regret that you were not satisfied with your stay with us and would like to apologies for the wait on check-in. We will look into why you were not served immediately as we rarely receive negative feedback regarding our staff and believe our guests are the top priority when approaching our staff. It is very unfortunate this happened to affect your check in experience and I apologies for this.

I am pleased our staff was able to serve you an evening meal after the restaurant closing time, however; your dissatisfaction regarding the pizza quality will be relayed to our food and beverage champion for review.

Your comments regarding noise from banging doors will be put forward to our maintenance team for inspection as your sleep should not be affected by other guests leaving the hotel and I apologies for this problem.

We take all reviews seriously to help improve our hotel/services and apologies your stay has been affected negatively but hope you may consider staying with us again. Please contact me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk if you would like to discuss any of the issues further.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Wanted to go to Norfolk for weekend but at short notice so problem finding accommodation. Got in at Holiday Inn Express (near Norwich airport). Never stayed in Holiday Inn before - very similar to Travel Lodge when it came to room layout, tea, coffee etc. More expensive but at least you get breakfast, and some toiletries. Staff have to "cook" breakfast with microwaves as no chef or oven on premises (hence NO BACON) but all was well presented, hot and plentiful. Rooms clean, beds fairly comfy but NO BATH, just shower. This was fine for us adults, but baby grand daughter had to be "bathed" in shower tray. £85 for a Saturday night is good value for a family, but if we senior citizens had booked on-line, we would have saved almost £4 - why not give same discount over the phone? Had to ring down as room in which grand-daughter was sleeping was chilly and we could not get heating to change. Reception "upped" the heating - It appears that room temperature is "controlled" by reception. Oh, and when we asked, reception explained that "Express" means no bacon and no bath!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear 5DoreenR5,

Thank you for your recent review and for choosing Holiday Inn Express as your hotel of choice for your stay.

I would like to apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay. Unfortunately, as a Holiday Inn Express we are unable to offer bacon in the Free Express Start Breakfast as we are a limited service hotel. This is also the reason why we do not provide baths, as all Holiday Inn Express rooms are fitted with Power Showers. I noticed you mentioned the food was all microwaved, however; I can confirm not all food is microwaved as are staff have use of ovens, grills, etc so I apologies this impression was given to you. I noticed you also mentioned you could have booked on a senior discount rate, however running as an IHG this discount does not exist and I apologies you may have been misinformed about this. You have highlighted a lack of knowledge regarding hotel information may have been provided and we will investigate this to ensure all guests receive the correct information when staying with us.

I am sorry the heating was not functioning properly during your stay as all guests should have controls in the rooms to set heating as they require. I do hope our staff was able to assist you immediately with this problem.

If you would like to contact me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk, I will be happy to discuss this further with you as I hope we can welcome you back to put right the negative issues you experienced.

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

At £82 for bed and breakfast this chain hotel was good value and in general just about hit their price point. Clean, tidy and reasonably comfortable. The staff were helpful too. However three moans detract from what would otherwise have been an excellent review:-

Car parking: shared with an ice rink and fitness centre was busy and largely full when we arrived at 6:30 pm. We had to "circle" for a spot and eventually parked about as far away from the front door as was possible in the car park. Good job we only had an overnight bag.

Saturday night fever: clearly a refuge for the young & occasionally drunken reveller. No real issues but there was more late night noise than some would appreciate.

Breakfast: I took one bite of the sausage and couldn't eat it. Full of gristle and fat - very poor quality. Also the scrambled eggs tasted powdery and the orange juice was thin. The croissants and coffee were OK.

It would really take no effort to improve this - and the cost would be minimal. When faced with this kind of hotel food I often wonder what the buyer chooses for themselves - if it is the same standard as the hotel then they don't have the necessary qualities for the job, if it is superior then they clearly have a poor opinion of their customers. (NB I have rated this under "Service")

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear 719davidg,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that you had a few problems which led to a negative review being left on Tripadvisor. We strive to exceed every guests expectations and it upsets me to see we have failed to do so on this occasion.

We have contracted an external car park company to monitor our main car park for hotel guests only; however, due to the vast number of guests staying with us at the weekend, spaces were limited so the additional parking spaces were the next available option. We understand this may be inconvenient if the weather is poor or if a guest has difficulty walking so please do not hesitate to speak to reception team and we will be happy to offer you a reserved parking space and move one of our shuttle buses for you to park in.

I would like to apologise that you experienced noise issues during your stay. I can assure you that our Night Team do hourly walk arounds of the hotel building to prevent such problems and immediate action is taken as soon as they are aware of a noise issue. We recommend all staff Dial ‘0’ when staying with us so we can take any action necessary between walk arounds as we believe all guests should be entitled to a peaceful nights sleep.

Your comments regarding our breakfast offering have been passed on to our Food and Beverage Champion for review and IHG directly. I am sorry you felt the breakfast sausages were of a poor standard. We currently use the IHG Award Winning Breakfast Sausages as recommended by IHG. We do take all comments and reviews seriously and will look to improve the areas highlighted by your review.

I apologise for the issues you experienced once again but hope we may be able to welcome you back in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Great place to stay.The staff were very helpful,the room was nice,clean and comfy.Breakfast was very nice but there was no bacon!!!!otherwise fab.Great location ideal for city centre,lots of nice restaurants in Norwich.Jamie Olivers place was really good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Jess1553,

Thank you for your custom at Holiday Inn Express Norwich and for taking the time to leave feedback via TripAdvisor. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your kind comments. Your comments regarding staff quality will also be relayed back to the team for recognition who I'm sure will appreciate them.

I am sorry you expected to see bacon on the Express Start Breakfast Menu. As a limited service hotel, we offer a continental breakfast along with Selected Hot Favourites: Scrambled Egg, Pork Sausages, Hash Browns and Baked Beans. Unfortunately, we are unable to extend our breakfast offering due to strict limitations running under the Holiday Inn Express Brand, however, we welcome all feedback and your comments have been noted to be reviewed.

Thank you once again for choosing our hotel and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed on 19 September 2013. We booked just a couple of days before flying from Norwich airport to Corfu for two weeks when a planned lift fell through. Parking, room and breakfast came out cheaper than parking alone at the airport. We had no problem finding a parking space right in front of the hotel. Staff were very friendly, helpful and smiling, although at times just one person was trying to cover the reception and the bar. There was a problem with the room TV, only very limited channels, but staff kindly let me watch the final episode of The Guilty on the sets in the bar. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was OK for the price. Shuttle service to the airport was great, and we were met on our return - service with a smile all the way both times. We were allowed a late check-out as we did not need to be at the airport until 2pm and we spent the time looking round the local Maplins and Asda. Would definitely stay here again if flying from Norwich.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BraeDog,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent short stay with us. I am delighted you found our hotel suitable for your airport parking requirements and hope you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am also pleased the hotel staff were pleasant and friendly and able to assist you with any queries you may have had. I do apologise for the limited number of channels available during your stay but we have recently installed 32Inch LED TV's in all guest bedrooms with Freeview to help improve our guest experience. I am sorry this was not installed while you were with us but hope you will consider staying with us again to enjoy this new feature.

Thank you once again for your custom and review.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

elphinstone
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We arrived at the Holiday Inn Express in Norwich. Car parking was readily avalable as there is a huge asda store not far from it. check in was quite simple and the staff were friendly and helpful. We entered our room to be greeted with he strong smell of cigarette smoke. Obviously a shock to two non smokers. the rooms were quite nice and clean apart from hat. Good night sleep comfortable bed quiet area. breakfast was a buffet style breakfast with anything you wanted. all in all a good stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Elainetucker
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Elainetucker,

Thank you for booking with Holiday Inn Express Norwich and for sharing your review online.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location beneficial to your requirements. I am also pleased you found the room interior pleasant. I am sorry however that you could smell cigarette smoke in your room and will investigate as to why this was. We do have a limited number of smoking rooms, however, smoking in non-smoking rooms is strictly forbidden for the comfort and safety of our guests and I will check as to which room type was booked and allocated. Your positive comments regarding our Express Start Breakfast will be passed on to the relevant department and the staff will be made aware with your satisfaction regarding there friendliness.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.