“Don't book for fitness centre”

Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed August 31, 2013

£10 per person per day charge for use of the virgin fitness centre.

Shower was feeble. Breakfast was below average, very little choice; nice sausages but tasteless scrambled egg.

Nice helpful staff,but reception area always seemed to be understaffed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear martinWestSussex,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and opions online regarding your recent stay.

I apologise you felt the £10.00 charge to gain access to the health club steep. Unfortunately, we do not own the health club and we have to charge as we do not receive free passes for our guests. Although the pass is £10.00 per adult, many of our guests are happy with the experience they receive at Virgin Active and it is a shame you did not share these feelings.

It is a pleasure to hear you found our reception staff helpful and I will pass on the message to the team. I am sorry you felt reception understaffed though and will investigate why this may have happened. Unfortunately, we can become busy during peak times and a short wait may occur during check-in or bar service. Your comments regarding breakfast our Free Express Start Breakfast has also been highlighted and will be relayed back to our Food and Beverage Champion for review.

Once again, I apologise for the problems you encountered during your stay and hope this has not made you lose trust in our brand. I can assure you we take all reviews seriously and will look into each issue raised.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Not a good first impression. Sandwiched between Asda, a sports village and a bizarre run down ice rink. Luckily the reception is different again, very welcoming.
Check in was easy and despite the smell of cigarettes the room was adequate.
Aircon worked well and the bathroom was great.
The TV is small but had sky1+1.

Parking was a pain, I went into Norwich on the evening and when I got back I had to park some distance away.

Breakfast was ok.

Room Tip: Park up early...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review online regarding your recent stay.

I am pleased you found our hotel accommodation of a suitable standard. Although the exterior is an issue we cannot take immediate action on (due to surrounding buildings) we are fully aware of this situation and are working to resolve the problem. We strive to maintain our hotel building and interior and I'm pleased you found the reception welcoming. I am sorry your bedroom smelt of cigarettes and will investigate whether you were allocated a smoking bedroom. I am pleased though that you found the air con and bathroom of a good standard.

I apologise you had trouble parking during your stay. We do operate the main car park at the front of the hotel for guests only. Additional parking is located to the side of the building. We can assure there is ample parking for our hotel guests. I am sorry you had to walk further then you wished for this though.

Thank you for all your comments. We use feedback to continuously measure our standards and thank you for your time.

Kind Regards

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Clean updated rooms, good shower and bed.
£10 gym fee to use gym or pool, small TV.
Very few channels on the TV and no films available to purchase.
Good value for an overnight stay business or pleasure assuming you get a discounted price.
We needed a place to sleep for a family occasion, it was more than adequate, and more practical than a bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Hanster FK,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you found our hotel adequate for your needs. At Holiday Inn Express we believe in great rooms and great customer service without all the frills of a full service hotel. I am pleased you acknowledged this concept and enjoyed the facilities we offered.

I am also pleased you made use of some of our discounted rates we offer. Be sure to book direct at least 21 days in advance to save up to 20% off your booking.

We understand our TV selection and TV sets are due for an upgrade. We are pleased to inform you this is due to take place by the end of this year when our contact ends with our current supplier.

Thank you once again. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Clean /food was ok / only thing was we didn't have a window to open ?location is good right next to Asda. Taxi in to town was £7 Norwich centre is delightful there's also some good clothes shops .theres a health spa right next door as well .plenty of parking . Drinks are a little pricey but on the whole it was ok we had the sunshine as well which made a 30 min journey to the beach ok

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Grant J,

Thank you for your positive review. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests as it helps us to measure/improve our standards. I am pleased you found our location and facilities beneficial to your stay. It is also great to hear you used one of our discounted Virgin Active leisure passes and found it an enjoyable experience.

I am sorry you did not like the fact our windows do not open but due to the location and as a 'Green Engage' hotel, this is in place to minimise sound pollution and limit energy waste as all of our guest rooms our fully air conditioned.

Thank you once again for your comments.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights was allocated a smokin room 6 as was only double left walked into room and was knocked back by stale cigarette smoke and the stains on the carpet were appUli g and pieces off carpet had been cut out and patched but not fixed in very poor room was put in a twin after complaining which was much better but not great windows dont open so need aircon on but gets to cold after a while shower wasnt great but worked very limited tv channels when you arrive at reception its a wow this is nice clean and new looking but its not a wow in rooms personaly if someone is silly enough to smoke they should go outside like all other hotel chains make them do come rain or shine no real excuse for smoking in a public place

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Colin J,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and can ensure we will investigate the problems highlighted regarding your room. We do offer smoking rooms to accommodate all types of guests that may stay with us; however, it is unfortunate you were allocated one of these rooms as a non-smoker. If you would like to discuss this issue further please email me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk and I will investigate why this situation happened.

I am sorry to hear you also had trouble with your air conditioning unit. I believe this may have been due to the settings as our air conditioning can be set by the guest to run on an automatic setting by which it will maintain the desired temperature. Please do not hesitate to ask our staff how to operate this equipment as they will be more than happy to help.

I am pleased to inform you we are due a Television Set/Channel update by the end of this year. I hope we can welcome you back for you to enjoy this new service.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Good location easy access and easy parking good value for money with a reasonable choice at breakfast.
Good hotel for an overnight stop over. The bed was comfy and the shower facilities were good for a reasonably priced hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
BenSayer, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Janet C,

I would like to thank you for your positive review regarding your recent stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I'm pleased you found our hotel and facilities of a good standard.

I am also pleased you enjoyed our complimentary Express Start Breakfast and shower in the guest bathroom. These facilities are what we pride ourselves on at Holiday Inn Express so it is a pleasure to be recognised for this.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Worst IHG property I've ever seen. The lobby and reception area are quite welcoming ans parking is plentiful in the complex it is situated. Asda is also a 2 minute walk away.

The first room we walked into smelled so bad my colleague went and asked to be moved. I seen several rooms where the carpets were bubbled and could easily be tripped over. Both rooms we checked into had horrific stains on the carpet and need a decent cleaning. The smell meets you out of the elevator (musty).

I would avoid this hotel as it is nowhere central and pretty poor standard of accommodation - wifi is free however. I avoided breakfast.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Arnold5,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views on Tripadvisor and for your custom at Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies regarding the issues you have brought up during your stay with us. We strive to ensure our customer care and hotel cleanliness is above standard so it is a great shame you felt our hotel below standard. I can assure you that all your comments have been relayed back to our Housekeeping Manager for review and investigation. Because of the comments made regarding carpet cleanliness, we have taken the action to contract a professional carpet specialist to clean/oversea the affected carpets.

Although our hotel is not centrally located, we are located on the Norwich Ring Road which boasts excellent transport links into Norwich City Centre, Norwich Airport and surrounding areas. Please do not hesitate to ask our knowledgeable staff for any directions as they will be happy to provide them upon request.

If you would like to discuss any of the issues raised further, please contact me on: reservations@hiexnorwich.co.uk

Please accept my apologies once again for your troubles.