“A Smoking Room With Only A View..”

Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Having stayed in Holiday Inn's all round the country and my daughter also an employee for the IHG brand, I thought nothing could go wrong by staying at this hotel...

On check in, the young gentleman on reception greeted me rather abruptly by saying 'Amanda, I presume?' .. I must have been keeping him waiting. Delightful gentleman which I was to meet again on check out the following day. After checking into my smoking room, which I did book, I tried to open a window to let some air in this stuffy room. Alas, I could not open the windows at all throughout the course of my stay. So ofcourse, I turned to the air con to cool the room down. Disaster strikes again as the air con failed to turn on at all. After the room becoming exceedingly hot with no source of air coming from anywhere I decided to make a cup of tea, as any person would after a long day of driving and conferences. The kettle and cups were there, great, it wasn't all bad. But was there any tea bags? Coffee sachets? Milk Cartons? Ofcourse there weren't. After trying to contact reception several times to rectify this issue, I simply gave up and went to bed.

And then we come to my check out experience, which I have to say was dismal. The same ''lovely'' gentleman that checked me in was also checking me out. Upon my arrival at the desk, I was greeted by him in a better mood than the night before thank god, however he never asked how my stay was or confirmed what I had on my bill, simply asked for my card and entered the amount. I tried to express my concerns over my stay whilst paying and he just completely dismissed anything I said with 'Well... have a nice journey back home'

I would of settle for a little sympathy from him even if it was forced, but no nothing. The amount of training that gentleman will need on customer service is rather large. I have never experienced such an awful stay in all my time staying at the Holiday Inn, and dare I say perhaps The Premier Inn would have been more appropriate!!!

3  Thank Amanda N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Amanda N,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the desk staff and the air conditioning issue you have experienced. I understand the discomfort this caused you. This issue will be addressed immediately. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Having stayed in my first Holiday Inn Express Hotel two weeks earlier, i was interested to find out how they varied from place to place. The standard was again very good for the price, but one problem surfaced again. The electrical sockets are all on the one side again, and not the side i was wanting them on. This room had three electrical sockets, as opposed to the one socket in Glasgow HIE. They were once again on the side away from the bed though. For CPAP users this is not good enough. The breathing machine has to be close to the bed. having had doubts about this before arrival, due to my experiences in Glasgow, I had thought to ask at reception for an extension lead. They were kind enough to loan me a large extension lead with four sockets, but had to search quite a while to find it. The staff were very professional and friendly.

The room was very clean and tidy, and well proportioned. The bed was very comfortable, and large. the pillow choice of either firm or soft is a very good "touch." There is the usual complimentary kettle, with tea and coffee. This is useless to me, as I don't drink either. I asked for drinking chocolate at reception, but none was available. Thankfully, there is a large Asda Superstore adjacent to the hotel, and I was able to buy some there. (For any American readers, Asda is owned by Wal-Mart.) The bathroom was very clean, and modern.

The TV was modern, but lacked variety in channels. The price of GBP10.00 for 24 hours of W-fi is a disgrace. Most hotels have it as a free service, or at a reasonable fee. I would never pay this ridiculous price for what would usually mean a maximum of 2-4 hours usage.
There is a fitness centre also next door to the hotel. As it was a one-night stay, I did not get the chance to partake. One nice surprise was the free car-parking at the hotel.

Breakfast was the usual fayre of Holiday Inn Express.(Same as Glasgow, at least.)

The Wi-fi and TV policy at this hotel would make me think twice about using it again if in the area.

Room Tip: Be aware of the very high cost of Wi-Fi.
2  Thank Alan_LDSUK
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Norwich. I am glad that you took a time to share your hotel experience online.

I am sorry to hear that you disliked the Wi-fi and TV policy at our hotel. We are in the process of changing our internet provider so that we can have more flexibility to offer more competitive internet cost.

It was great to hear you were pleased with breakfast service, free parking and found the hotel staff to be helpful. I am also glad that our reception staff assisted you promptly and provided the extension lead.

Once again thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich and I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here in January for one night, and was pleased overall.

The rooms are modern, clean and well presented and also a reasonable size. The reception was efficient, and the breakfast was above average for a HI Express.

The hotel is quite well located with a sports club next door, and a large supermarket just on the other side of the carpark. Views from the rooms are not pretty, but then thats not why I was staying here.

I would have been happier if they had cleared the carpark of snow and ice a bit better, but I realise that was difficult given the weather.

1  Thank gwaredd

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

It is great to know that the friendly and helpful attitude we promote has been appreciated on this occasion.

I am pleased you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable and that you did not come across any issues.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel and was very frustrated when given the cards for a room - that did not work. I was then given cards for another room - which also did not work. Staff did try and assist - however, I seemed to be asking for their assistance on a regular basis - i.e every time I left the room. This spoiled the stay.

The hotel room was ok but could have done with a good clean - including the walls and skirting boards, doors etc. Would I stay again? No.

On a positive note - Norwich is a really pretty city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsFitzy

Please accept my apology for the room appearance. I am sorry to hear that your room did not meet our cleanliness standard. I will ensure that this comment will be communicated back to the Maintenance and House Keeping departments and that all issues will be dealt with properly.

I would like to apologize for the issue with your key card. This problem has been reported to our Maintenance team in order to get door's locks and key machine serviced.

Again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your experience online.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed here recently for 8 nights and was quite pleased with this hotel. The room was large and comfortable as was the bed. The fixtures and fittings in the bathroom were modern and clean and the towels were changed every day(even when I didn't need them changing). The breakfast was reasonable but I didn't like the look of their hot offering so I just chose toast, cereal and croissants. There was plenty of coffee, juices, fruit and yoghurts also. The only negative about this hotel is the noise from the fitness club (subsides approx 9 p.m). The staff are cheerful and informative and on one particular night when the power went down for almost 8 hours they were still friendly and helpful, asking guests if anything was required. A pleasant stay.

2  Thank cityblue1969
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you didn't come across any problems during your stay. I am also glad that you found our hotel staff to be friendly, your positive comment regarding hotel staff mine a lot to all of us.

I'm sorry that you experienced peace / sleep disturbance caused by gym classes. Fortunately front facing room located away form Virgin Active building will provide quiet accommodation.

I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Just back from our 2 night stay here. Very impressed! To start with check in the guy on reception on Friday 11th January was fantastic, he explained everything to us with regards to breakfast and check out times and was very polite and helpful.
We were in room 127. Room was big and cleaned daily. Bed was very comfortable and warm. Not a great view from the window, but why stay in your room when Norwich has so much to offer?
One small complaint about the room... wanted to make more than one cup of tea/coffee but were only provided with 2 milks, however one call to reception soon sorted this. Also took us a while to figure out that the kettle switch was inside the wardrobe/shelf.

Breakfast - Breakfast was very nice, not a great deal of hot food but lots of lovely pastries, cereal, yogurts, fruit ect. Certainly went back for seconds!

Next door to this hotel is a lovely swimming pool/spa/gym which is only £10pp for a days pass, the hotel should include more information about this in their handbook in the rooms as its a lovely idea to have a nice swim before breakfast which i did.
Also nextdoor is an ice skating rink and an Asda which is great.

We throughly enjoyed our stay and will definatly be returning soon.

Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: Room 127, lovely big room, not a fantastic view though
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ashlee_brooks01

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences online. Your comment regarding your recent stay with us mine a lot to all the hotel staff and I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and breakfast choice and that you didn't come across any major problems during your stay.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again, is much appreciated when customers take a time to give us positive feedback.

Thank you for visiting the Holiday Inn Express Norwich, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Rooms seem a bit bigger than the average holiday inn express. Unfortunately the rooms seem to have a humid feel about them while running the air-con in heating mode the room, this also made the room smell slightly foisty.

The hotel is attached to a health club and room I on the back of the hotel got some bass noise from what must the aerobics class in the health club. Didn't go on past 9pm though.

Still managed a goods night sleep

Staff all pleasant enough, and an Asda litterally next to the hotel.

1  Thank Durham_Bloke_UK
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property online and I will ensure that I share your comments with our hotel team.

I'm please to heat that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you like the hotel's location and the size of hotel's room.

Maintenance team has already started quarterly AC filters cleaning in order to improve quality of the air in bedrooms.

Again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback, as it’s only from guest comments we will be able to continually strive to improve our service.