“OK, but not usual express standard”

Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Ranked #37 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed June 7, 2012

this is the fourth time i have stayed here and for once arrived at a decent time.

The welcome was great, the girl on reception was very friendly. it seemed I had booked on a very quiet night as there were hardly any other guests.

This express, unlike most, seems to have been created from a previous hotel. The public areas are nice (bar, reception, breakfast area etc.) but the bedrooms are in need of some level of refurbishment now. My carpet was stained and the fitting all seemed a little worn.

The location is not great either, with no pubs or restaurants within easy walking distance. In the end i ordered some take out food to be delivered to the hotel.

The breakfast was as per all other HIE hotels and offers good choice and, as it is always included in your room rate, is good value compared to most.

I would stay again (provided the price was right0 as it suits my need for meetings at a nearby factory and for the pleasant staff but I would hope that the rooms will be improved soon.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

I am sorry to hear that you did not like the hotel location due to the lack of restaurants near by the hotel. I would like to inform you that the hotel is located close to Wetherspoon pub (5 minutes walk) as well as only 10-15 minutes walk away from recently opened Indian restaurant.

Please accept my apology for the room appearance. I am sorry to hear that you found the room to feel tired and that the carpet in your room was worn out. I will ensure that this comment will be communicated back to the Maintenance and House Keeping departments and that all issues will be dealt with properly. I would like inform you that we are in process of getting all worn out carpets replaced.

I am glad that this issue did not spoil your stay with us and I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding hotel staff and your breakfast experience.

Again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your experience online and I am look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Express Norwich in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Norwich

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have stayed here a few times over the years and it has generally been OK but is now looking very tired and dated. The room had an airfreshner plugged in which is always a bad sign and I think was there to cover the smell of paint. Room still looked tired with incredibly noisy air con and some marks in bathroom.

We use Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn express all the time and this is not representative of the brand but is of the Travelodge standard which I gave up on a long time ago.

Staff friendly and generally clean but we will not use this one again untill it has a total refubishment which is long ovedue.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

I am sorry to hear the problem you experienced during your stay and would like to offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience cause.

Please accept my apology for the room appearance. I am sorry to hear that you found the room to feel tired and the walls to be stained. I will ensure that this comment will be communicated back to the Maintenance and House Keeping departments and that all issues will be dealt with properly. I would like to inform you as well that we are in process of getting our guest rooms refurbished by replacing worn out carpets to provide better quality and fresh bedroom look.

Thank you for your feedback about hotel staff, your positive comment means a lot to all front desk staff.

Again, thank you for your review of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express hotel.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Terrible parking. Archaic wifi through wire, doesn't work and charged at £10 a day. Rusty shower rail, dirty curtain, tired room. This is a poor franchise operation. Very pleasant staff but not up to the standard expected

• Stayed: May 2012
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences online.

Your valuable comment about the payable internet connection has been already passed on to General Manager. We are going to review our internet policy in order to provide better services as we are aware that the internet connection is one of the essential requirements.

I would like to apologize for the car park issue. We are currently in the process of getting car park company to ensure the hotel car park is occupied by the hotel guests only. The car park is also free of charge and additional car park spaces can be found at the bottom level of Asda car park facilities in close distance to the hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you found the room to feel tired and that the cleanliness in the room did not meet our standard. I will ensure that this comment will be communicated back to the Maintenance and House Keeping departments and that all issues will be dealt with properly.

I would like to thank you for positive comments regarding our staff. Customer service is one thing we as a hotel pride ourselves on and appreciate when customers such as yourself give us feedback.

Once again please accept my apology for all inconvenience caused during your stay. I hope you have not lost the faith in Holiday Inn Express Norwich.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Friendly staff (and plenty of them), well-appointed and comfortable room, good food, good location - no complaints at all with this hotel. Stayed an extra night and this request was accommodated in moments without a problem. These hotels may all look the same inside but this one was different and just what we needed at that point on our holiday.

Room Tip: Make what you need clear and they'll help. Simple as that.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Only one person at reception doing check ins, room bookings on the phone and taking bar orders for drinks and hotel food. Waited over ten minutes for attention. Stayed before in a lovely large wheelchair accessible room. However we were not told they had two room sizes - large and small accessible rooms. We were allocated the small one (109 and 209 are large). Only doubles with a sofa bed which we had to use - but it was too big to open into the small space. Had to move the bed and squished sofa bed open wall to wall! Uncomfortable and uneven.

Food is very good, basic selection for evening and expensive - but good portion. Nice breakfast selection.

• Stayed: May 2012
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Norwich. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback.

I am glad that you have been a loyal customer and you chosen to stay with us again. I am very sorry that the hotel facilities and customer service have not met your expectations on this occasion. I would like to apologize for the long waiting time during your check-in. Unfortunately recently the hotel was understaffed and the front reception team was not able to provide usual prompt check in to our guests. As new member of staff joined in, the team will continue to provide high level of customer services and create guests satisfaction.

I am also sorry to hear that you found your room to be too small for your accommodation needs. As you have notice with your previous stay the hotel's disabled rooms are different sizes. Please request non-smoking disabled room (109 or 209) with your next stay with us in order to receive the most spacious room within our hotel.

Once again thank you for your stay and please accept my apology for all the problems you came across during your stay. We hope you will not lose faith in us and we look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

the only HIExpress that i have stayed in where they preheated the rooms, nice and thoughtful.
not a bad location, next door to some sports facilities and an ASDA, was really quiet and the usual HIExpress experiance made a little better by the very attractive lady on reception.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our property online and I will ensure that I share your comments with our hotel team.

It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the service provided.

Once again thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich and I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed here on a Friday night and booked 3 rooms. We were late arriving (00:15) and yet the reception was still manned by very friendly staff who greeted us and checked us in.
We had 3 rooms adjacent to each other on the 1st floor. Each of the rooms were very clean and tidy, with no damage or anything missing.

The beds are very comfy, with a choice of soft or firm pillows, and I believe more can be arranged from reception. Reception also has 'forgotten items' such as toothbrushes available complimentary if required.

We checked out early around 9am, but still sampled the complimentary breakfast which also included sausages, scrambled egg, hash browns and beans. Just missing bacon which would have been better!

The car park was empty when we arrived, but when we checked out at 09:00 it was completely full. As other reviews say, this is due to the ice rink and gym next door so may mean parking is difficult if arriving during the day.

Next door is also a ASDA which is handy for stocking up on supplies, or visting the in-store McDonalds!

Overall, yet again this is my choice of hotel when visiting Norwich area, I even prefer this Holiday Inn Express to the actual Norwich Holiday Inn!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends