“Worst place I have ever stayed”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Norwich
The Beeches Apartments
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed at 9E Unthank Road on Saturday 23rd June.
Although we regularly use, and can appreciate, budget accommodation, we were shocked by this apartment!! We have lived in some shabby student houses in the past, but this left us disgusted.

Advertised as:

9E Unthank Road situated within large Georgian house. Double bedroom, Shower room, Lounge and dining area, Fully equipped kitchen, Free wifi, Free on-site parking, clean linen and towels, Non smoking.

After having waited well past check in time for a code (and having to phone up for this twice to enter the building), we entered the flat to find that somebody was already inside. This was completely unnerving, and considering that check out time was 6 hours earlier we thought it was unnecessary. A workman informed us that the kitchen light did not work and that he would be plugging in a lamp for us. This did not provide enough light at all, but no other alternatives were offered.
We specifically booked an apartment, so that we would be able to cook and use a living area. These rooms were not fit for purpose. The dining table had been leant against a wall, disguising the fact that it does not stand by itself, and one of the armchairs had been leant against another piece of furniture, hiding a broken leg (see photographs). This does not only make the area unusable, but also dangerous.
The overall condition of the apartment was incredibly poor. The banister on the stairs was not secure, there was no handle on the inside of the bathroom door (which does not close) and there were stains and tears all over the wallpaper. The room and entrance hall also smelled of cigarette smoke. We were unwilling to use the shower as there was hair in the plughole, hairs all over the base of the cubicle and nothing from which to hang the shower head. We were glad the light in the kitchen did not work, for fear of seeing how unclean it was.
The bed was at least acceptable (albeit with dirty marks and scratches on the walls), however we were unable to sleep due to the residents above our apartment running and shrieking until 4:30 am. As there are no onsite staff, there was nothing that we could do about this.
As we left the hotel, one car had been decorated with a toilet roll.

The apartment was NOT AS ADVERTISED, was UNFIT FOR PURPOSE and was UNSAFE and UNCLEAN.

PLEASE do not stay here.

Room Tip: Buy a tent, sleep in your car, find a cardboard box.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Illustratedtraveller

Reviewed June 25, 2012

These guys are complete con artists. I booked and paid for a room on a short business trip. I did not receive the door codes despite frequent attempts. I couldn't access my room and had to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank ilyamaclean
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is the worst accommodation I have ever encountered. No warddrobes, no shaving point. The shower cubicle was inside the bedroom. The noise from the adjacent room's shower and toilet was unbearable. The bed was made but looed like it had been sat upon.

My sister-in-law also booked a room and this was disgusting. Bed unmade with bottles on it and the toilet had not been flushed.

A totally disgusting experience and to be avoided at all costs.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kevin P
Reviewed May 31, 2012

They posted terms and conditions clearly stating it it was non-smoking when it wasn't. There was nom air in the room and the windows didn't open much. But that is all liveable....what isn't is the dried on vomit down the toilet pan....only discovered when we got back after 10:30 with no option but to stay.

On complaining they absolutely don't care. They are not interested...won't offer a refund and aren't even open about where their company is based or to to complain to! For anyone else wanting to complain I have traced them to MJB Services Team and a Mr A Burlingham registered as director through companies house...although their manager denies there is any association? There is a press release that contradicts this.

4  Thank Moulds27
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We got this place as an overnight stay, and for 2 couples, £88 all in was very good and i guess this was because it was self catering. However, we found to our surprise, that there were no kitchen facilities, just a toaster, microwave and fridge and some crockery. Ok , so we only did our own breakfast here, but having to take dirty plates etc into bathroom and wash up using shampoo, is not my idea of self catering. Also, for a 4 person accommodation it would be nice to have 4 glasses to drink from - we ended up using the tooth mug. Finally, to find someone's old shirt on the back of the door indicated that cleaning was not of the highest order. Ok (ish) for one night, but we won't be using them again

Room Tip: Don't bother
1  Thank David8
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Filthy (think the Young Ones) Dangerous, defective electric sockets, broken glass on the floor and in the rug and smelly (could not identify smell). No response to telephone calls or e mails. Can not think of a place I have stayed that is anywhere near as bad as this. I am not a serial 'bad review writer' see my other reviews for proof but this place was truly appalling.

Room Tip: Do not go there under any circumstances
3  Thank DKRSuttonColdfield
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Booked a 2bed apartment room 9F which was a three storey town house to the rear of the Georgian House at 9 Unthank Road, Norwich as the write up in Late Rooms.com sounded good, with 'an exceptionally high design spec, wooden floors, sunken bath free wi-fi and parking'. It was listed as a Modern Executive apartment and I was quite surprised that it only cost £89 for four people for 1 night so went ahead and booked it. There was only 2 of us staying but that meant we would have more room.

My first concern was when printing out the booking confirmation, as it gave me additional information regarding fines that would be incurred for any noise complaints that they might receive about us. Further information regarding additional fines was given with the email advising us of our key code. When I printed out the booking confirmation and read about the fines, I immediately rang Late Rooms.com to try and cancel the booking. The advisor listened to what I had to say, as I was concerned that MJB group could just say that they had received noise complaints and debit my card with a fine, which I wasnt happy about. She told me that I couldnt cancel the booking as MJB had very strict rules about refunds. She also told me that MJB group put info re fines on all their apartments as they sometimes have people that rent the apartments as they are so cheap, and then go on to trash them! this made me even more worried about the type of people that would be staying in the apartments, so she told me to ring MJB group direct the next morning which I did. I spoke to a very nice lady who advised me that yes, they do have some problems with people in the apartments but that we were staying in a nice area of Norwich and she did not think that I would have any problems. I have to say that there was no noise at all, and we didnt encounter any problems outside the apartment.

Now to the apartment. Apartment 9F is very spacious but the cleanliness of the place left a lot to be desired. The wooden floors had leftover food on them, bits everywhere and I dont think the carpets in the two bedrooms had been hoovered after the last guests. The wooden floors were also sticky and my husband said that if we had booked for a longer stay, he would have bought a bucket and mop and cleaned the floors himself. The table in the dining area had a bowl on it, with two teabags (not wrapped in anything) and a couple of sachets of sugar and dust! The kitchen was modern but there was bits in the sink and nothing seem to have been cleaned. There was a scouring pad and teatowel but both had seen better days and I wouldnt use them. There was an ironing board, and a box which once housed an iron, but I couldnt find an iron, luckily I bought my own with me (we were going to a christening the next day and hubby needed a nicely ironed shirt)

The bathroom: the shower didnt work properly and the water only came out in a dribble, so I gave up and had a bath in the sunken bath. A novelty bath I think, I would have preferred a normal bath, although it was a good size. The shower attachment in the bath didnt work. There was a bulb out which made the bathroom a bit dark.

The bedrooms: clean sheets and duvet covers so that was good, but there were holes in the walls which really let the place down. again, there were bulbs out and as the bedrooms were on a lower floor, they were quite dark. However, I slept well, although my husband didnt.

The lounge: the furniture was comfy and it was a very warm room albeit a little sparse in the furniture department as there was only a sofa, armchair and a chaise lounge, a tv on the wall and a cd player/system sitting on the floor!. Opening the balcony doors onto the small wraparound balcony area, there was discarded cigarette ends everywhere! All this needed was a quick tidy up, but this hadnt been done so it let the area down.

Parking: as I said above, I was concerned really about the type of people that would be in these apartments, and I was concerned that my car (an old, but lovely Mercedes!) wouldnt be safe and might have gotten damaged. So when we arrived and we had parking directly in front of the apartment building, round the back of the Georgian house, I was pleasantly surprised...... and relieved to be honest.

All in all, I would say that bearing in mind my concerns when I first booked this apartment, I was not looking forward to staying there at all. If the cleaning had been a lot better and the holes in the walls fixed, I would probably have said that I would stay there again. The apartment was in a good location and within walking distance to the City which is why I booked it. The thing that surprises me is that you are not allowed to book in before 4pm and you have to check out by 10am the next day.........so that cleaning staff can prepare the apartments for the next guests......that's 6 hours!! I'm sorry, but the cleaning staff are taking the mickey.....I would lay bets that all they did was change the beds following the guests previous to us staying.

As for customer service from MJB staff......I had cause to phone them twice, once when I first booked the room to try and cancel it, the lady I spoke to was very nice although she still would not cancel it. The second time I phoned, on early Saturday evening, was to find out how to put the heating on as the apartment was quite cold, and the person I spoke to, again was very nice, and helpful. So I cant fault the customer service. Maybe I was lucky and didnt have many problems, but in view of the other reviews that I have read, I'm not sure I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple