“Cheap and cheerful”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Norwich
The Beeches Apartments
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Buntingford, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We got this place as an overnight stay, and for 2 couples, £88 all in was very good and i guess this was because it was self catering. However, we found to our surprise, that there were no kitchen facilities, just a toaster, microwave and fridge and some crockery. Ok , so we only did our own breakfast here, but having to take dirty plates etc into bathroom and wash up using shampoo, is not my idea of self catering. Also, for a 4 person accommodation it would be nice to have 4 glasses to drink from - we ended up using the tooth mug. Finally, to find someone's old shirt on the back of the door indicated that cleaning was not of the highest order. Ok (ish) for one night, but we won't be using them again

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank David8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Filthy (think the Young Ones) Dangerous, defective electric sockets, broken glass on the floor and in the rug and smelly (could not identify smell). No response to telephone calls or e mails. Can not think of a place I have stayed that is anywhere near as bad as this. I am not a serial 'bad review writer' see my other reviews for proof but this place was truly appalling.

Room Tip: Do not go there under any circumstances
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DKRSuttonColdfield

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

buckinghamshire
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Booked a 2bed apartment room 9F which was a three storey town house to the rear of the Georgian House at 9 Unthank Road, Norwich as the write up in Late Rooms.com sounded good, with 'an exceptionally high design spec, wooden floors, sunken bath free wi-fi and parking'. It was listed as a Modern Executive apartment and I was quite surprised that it only cost £89 for four people for 1 night so went ahead and booked it. There was only 2 of us staying but that meant we would have more room.

My first concern was when printing out the booking confirmation, as it gave me additional information regarding fines that would be incurred for any noise complaints that they might receive about us. Further information regarding additional fines was given with the email advising us of our key code. When I printed out the booking confirmation and read about the fines, I immediately rang Late Rooms.com to try and cancel the booking. The advisor listened to what I had to say, as I was concerned that MJB group could just say that they had received noise complaints and debit my card with a fine, which I wasnt happy about. She told me that I couldnt cancel the booking as MJB had very strict rules about refunds. She also told me that MJB group put info re fines on all their apartments as they sometimes have people that rent the apartments as they are so cheap, and then go on to trash them! this made me even more worried about the type of people that would be staying in the apartments, so she told me to ring MJB group direct the next morning which I did. I spoke to a very nice lady who advised me that yes, they do have some problems with people in the apartments but that we were staying in a nice area of Norwich and she did not think that I would have any problems. I have to say that there was no noise at all, and we didnt encounter any problems outside the apartment.

Now to the apartment. Apartment 9F is very spacious but the cleanliness of the place left a lot to be desired. The wooden floors had leftover food on them, bits everywhere and I dont think the carpets in the two bedrooms had been hoovered after the last guests. The wooden floors were also sticky and my husband said that if we had booked for a longer stay, he would have bought a bucket and mop and cleaned the floors himself. The table in the dining area had a bowl on it, with two teabags (not wrapped in anything) and a couple of sachets of sugar and dust! The kitchen was modern but there was bits in the sink and nothing seem to have been cleaned. There was a scouring pad and teatowel but both had seen better days and I wouldnt use them. There was an ironing board, and a box which once housed an iron, but I couldnt find an iron, luckily I bought my own with me (we were going to a christening the next day and hubby needed a nicely ironed shirt)

The bathroom: the shower didnt work properly and the water only came out in a dribble, so I gave up and had a bath in the sunken bath. A novelty bath I think, I would have preferred a normal bath, although it was a good size. The shower attachment in the bath didnt work. There was a bulb out which made the bathroom a bit dark.

The bedrooms: clean sheets and duvet covers so that was good, but there were holes in the walls which really let the place down. again, there were bulbs out and as the bedrooms were on a lower floor, they were quite dark. However, I slept well, although my husband didnt.

The lounge: the furniture was comfy and it was a very warm room albeit a little sparse in the furniture department as there was only a sofa, armchair and a chaise lounge, a tv on the wall and a cd player/system sitting on the floor!. Opening the balcony doors onto the small wraparound balcony area, there was discarded cigarette ends everywhere! All this needed was a quick tidy up, but this hadnt been done so it let the area down.

Parking: as I said above, I was concerned really about the type of people that would be in these apartments, and I was concerned that my car (an old, but lovely Mercedes!) wouldnt be safe and might have gotten damaged. So when we arrived and we had parking directly in front of the apartment building, round the back of the Georgian house, I was pleasantly surprised...... and relieved to be honest.

All in all, I would say that bearing in mind my concerns when I first booked this apartment, I was not looking forward to staying there at all. If the cleaning had been a lot better and the holes in the walls fixed, I would probably have said that I would stay there again. The apartment was in a good location and within walking distance to the City which is why I booked it. The thing that surprises me is that you are not allowed to book in before 4pm and you have to check out by 10am the next day.........so that cleaning staff can prepare the apartments for the next guests......that's 6 hours!! I'm sorry, but the cleaning staff are taking the mickey.....I would lay bets that all they did was change the beds following the guests previous to us staying.

As for customer service from MJB staff......I had cause to phone them twice, once when I first booked the room to try and cancel it, the lady I spoke to was very nice although she still would not cancel it. The second time I phoned, on early Saturday evening, was to find out how to put the heating on as the apartment was quite cold, and the person I spoke to, again was very nice, and helpful. So I cant fault the customer service. Maybe I was lucky and didnt have many problems, but in view of the other reviews that I have read, I'm not sure I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank topcat040
Wolves
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Last year my son came back from Afgan and wanted to book an appartment so he could spend time with his girlfriend. He accidentally booked a double bedroom and within two minutes rang up and asked for either a cancellation or an appartment. The staff promised to ring back, promised to speak to the boss, promised this and promised that. They never called him or me back, made loads of excuses and eventually refused to do anything for someone who had watched his boss blow up and his friends die. When we realised that he was going to have pay for an appartment somewhere else and also pay for the MJB room, I decided to use the room. On speaking to the now famous Emma she said the rom would be available and the call ended. Or so Emma thought.....She didnt hang up properly and I dont think she liked me much and spent the next few minutes describing me as various four letter types. Amazingly when someone else in the room realised that I was still on the line she didnt want to talk to me.
As to the room in was okay although it was cold and the shower was like being shot by blind 4 year olds with luke warm waterpistols.... I wouldnt want to book them again but I would like to meet Emma and the rest of the staff and see what they would say face to face.

Room Tip: Spend the money and stay anywhere else. Compared to MJB a park bench is better
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank thehappylaptop
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We booked this apartment as an addition to our apartment (9F) for my 77 year old mother.

Oh dear! Firstly, the accommodation is on 2 floors which is not detailed in the description. The stairs down to the dark basement where the kitchen and sitting room are located is very steep and the ballustrade and bannister are very rickety. The bedroom was OK and the bathroom was passable but there was no doorknob on the bathroom door.

I was very worried that my mother would fall down the stairs but, thankfully, this did not happen. A bulb was missing from one of the bedside table lamps and the other bulbs were very dim so not bright enough to read.

I learnt afterwards that this apartment is notorious for its awfulness and feel embarrassed that I did not know about its reputation beforehand. Luckily though, there was no sewage in the apartment which has been mentioned in earlier reviews - a plus (!).

The occupants of the room above were noisy from 3 - 6am.

Room Tip: Don't use 9E but DO take ear plugs to block out the inconsiderate 'neighbours'.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Just checked into the Lodge hotel part of MJB Group, the owners, on unthank road. I have never seen such a disgusting place like this. Hairs on the sheets from the last person who was here which obviously means they never changed the linen. Room not clean, toilet seat with stains of pee, carpet really dirty and smells of damp. Never ever ever waste your money and book with any of MJB hotels unless you love dirty, disgusting and smelly room. To top it all off you wake up in the morning with bed bug bites. I wouldnt stay here even if they paid me.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank malloh06
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I did wonder what a £10 a night hotel would be like.
It wasn't a 5* luxury experience but you can't expect that kind of quality if you are paying this price.
Room was spacious.Some of the furniture was a little worn but everything worked fine.The bed was comfortable and the room was nice and quiet.A bathroom with a bath and shower.Only issue was there was no soap.
Situation was easy to find and only 15mins walk from the city.
There was a bar and reasonably priced restaurant that although I did not try,looked pretty good.
Overall I thought it was really good value for money and I would definitely recommend to friends.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo