“Clean, comfortable, plenty of off street parking”
Review of Wensum Guest House

Wensum Guest House
Ranked #14 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed at Wensum to visit our daughter at UAE. It is just five minutes away from the university in the car. The room was a little compact, but fresh decor, comfortable bed, good shower, quiet,, and generous tea and coffee facility. There is plenty of space in the car park. Would recommend to anyone visiting Norwich.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have little experience of guest houses but our trip had 3 adults wanting to stay in the same room, this guest house offers 3 beds in a family room which was ideal for us, the accommodation was clean and comfortable, we were given a key so you can come and go as suits. Bathroom functional if not a bit basic but not an issue. Free parking and a 15min easy walk into norwich centre. Breakfast freshly cooked and nice size portion. I imagine this is a very high standard for guest houses.

Room Tip: Room 9 has two proper singles and a double. No bath if you have young children who don't like sh...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Had one night here, room comfortable if a little small but as there was only me it didnt matter. small bathroom but functional. Overall a good place to stay. Would stay there again. Short walk to nearest cash point (Tesco express), a few takeaways in the area but the crowning jewel (in my opinion) was the fat cat public house down the next side street. Fantastic range of beers and ciders. A real ale paradise! I can see why its so busy even on a Thursday night. Ask the staff for directions etc for places to eat and drink. Lovely breakfast in the morning, perfect for soaking up the beer!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I,m very picky and normally manage to find fault with something but I,ve racked my brains and can,t find anything to complain about!! Stayed with 6 friends, middle aged ladies all, and no problems with cleanliness, breakfast really good, individually freshly cooked, no greasiness. Breakfast served by the man of the house who happily moved chairs around so we could all sit at one table. Highly recommended. Diana

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Booked in advance and emailed them to clarify bus route as couldn't find the buses quoted on their website in the route planner. They didn't reply and ended up at 10pm wandering round norwich trying to find a non existent bus service.
Room was ok but bath had slope directly above it which meant the only way to take a shower was by crouching in the bath plus got burnt several times as water goes from hot to cold to hot quite erratically. Breakfast was average and the guy running it seems more bothered about returning to his room to watch tv than being around for his customers.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was our second stay at the Wensum guest house, we stayed for 3 nights. Our room was very clean, comfortable bed , good shower,and a great breakfast each day. Nick and his staff were really helpful and polite. Plenty of parking space. Next time we go back to Norwich we will contact the Wensum first.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed here recently and didn't regret it at all - at the time I stayed there. The whole house was immaculate and comfortable and the single room I booked (ensuite) had a comfortable bed and modern nice furnishings. The bathroom was not so good, however, becuase it had a tiny sink and no ledge for toiletries and a sloped ceiling and no proper shower cubicle. It was bath or shower by sitting in the bath and running the shower head over yourself.The room also had a skylight window too (not a walled window), which I couldn't not open if the room got too warm. Breakfast was very good with hot full English choices and the usual cereal and fruit and toast. I didn't rank this guest house a 5 because I was rather let down after I left. I forgot to pack my large used only once tube of toothpaste and my electric tooth brush and rang the guest house to send them on to me (offering to pay postage and packing and not minding if they incorporated inconvenience extra into the price). They duly obliged- with both - but they conducted this task pretty reluctantly, in my view and still insisted on charging me £10 (a fixed charge) for sending it first class (far more than the postage to send) and, even after asking them to send both items to me. The package arrived yesterday, yet they still didn't send me the toothpaste (worth about £3.50) and this suggests to me that they believe that housekeeping theft (which is what it is) is perfectly acceptable. I don't agree. So be careful about losing your belongings and double check you have everything before leaving because the owners appear to turn every guest mistake into a business opportunity to make money or keep freebies. On the strength of this experience alone, I am inclined to book elsewhere in future becuase I think their attitude over this is remiss and unacceptable. I am glad I didn't leave my watch behind.

1  Thank Denny0612
NickSmith789, Manager at Wensum Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for your constructive remarks about Wensum Guest House. However, regarding the toothbrush, this was returned to you as requested by recorded / tracked delivery. The cost for this service by the post office was £6.95. In this case we have added an additional £3.05 to cover our costs for which we would normally charge £6.00. (This does require a good deal of staff time at the local post office).
Regarding your comments on the toothpaste, we find you comments offensive and strongly object to the wording which appears to falsely accuse our housekeeping staff of theft. We did not recover the toothpaste as it is not our usual policy to hold onto part used toiletries. This would have been disposed of after the cleaning of the room on the day of departure.